Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 28, 2014, 05:57:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I will not need firemen in the future.....  (Read 6108 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 10:12:34 AM »

Having a bad day AceBird??

You have been around long enough, watch your language here please.

Beemaster

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
IAFF
New Bee

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 07:49:39 PM »

I just saw this thread haven't been on in a while.  More fatalities happen in single family homes than any other in this country.  All succomb to the inhalation of the toxic gases before the fire reaches them.  If that legislation is adopted (unlikely) and it saved your grandchilds life cause "your code" only required one smoke detector per floor versus one in every bedroom then that is money WELL spent.  Smoke/fire/water damage contained to area of origin or losing entire house?  Again money well spent.  Asking for donations sounds like you have volunteers around.... money well spent due to 20 minute response times. 
Sorry me and my union firemen are tired of pulling dead burnt people out of bedrooms.  IAFF.
winginit
House Bee

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 08:06:33 PM »

IAFF, good point! Who cares about the sprinklers when you're already dead from the smoke inhalation. Speaking of which, how often do you find smoke detectors that didn't work? Do you just assume it was a dead battery or can you check that? After a remodel, I tested my new detectors and couldn't get them to go off. Practically burned down the house trying to get them to go off. Then I started wondering about my carbon monoxide detector. (We remodeled but kept the 30-year-old old wood stove that no one seemed to know much about, in case you're wondering why I'm so paranoid). Took the detectors to the fire department but they said they couldn't test them. I returned 2 different models of smoke detectors, and the replacements worked. But it sure makes a gal wonder about all those smoke detectors.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 08:50:12 PM »

and you both miss the point.  legislators can find things to regulate until hades is an ice rink.  at what point do we say enough.  we can't afford this anymore.  life has some risk and the cost outweighs the benefit.

if a person chooses to put these systems in, more power to them.  if they choose not to, and if cost is an issue, what right does the government have to say that they must?

we keep letting them make us do just a little more, and a little more, then we fuss that no one can afford an home.....and we do things like force banks to lend to people who can't pay.  we force people to buy stupid light bulbs to save the planet, but if you break one you need a hazmat team.  we try to make people drive little tin cans that are sure to be death traps in an accident.
are you tired yet of pulling twisted bodies out of Hondas?

ENOUGH

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 09:34:49 AM »

what right does the government have to say that they must?

Because the government pays for what results when your short sightedness turns sour.  Who is the government?  We are.  And we don't like paying for your mistakes.

we try to make people drive little tin cans that are sure to be death traps in an accident.

They are only a death trap when they get hit by a fool in a humV or something similar.  I think the government should put an extra tax on these ridiculous weapons of mass destruction to the tune of 50% or better.

Never thought I would do it!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 09:56:18 AM »

Who is the government?  We are.  And we don't like paying for your mistakes

well thanks for helping to make my point.  the more government controls, the more the can use excuses like cost to control behavior.  WE are not the government.  we are to control the government.  not the other way around.

I think the government should put an extra tax on these ridiculous weapons of mass destruction to the tune of 50% or better.

i bet you do.  should they add a tax to semi's, fire trucks, farm trucks, delivery trucks, ambulance, and everything else that might smash a Honda?  or should only those of  us who CHOOSE to drive a bigger vehicle or need to drive one, be punished by government for our choice?

do you ever listen to your thoughts?  do you truly believe that it is the job of government to control behavior and choice?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »

""do you ever listen to your thoughts?""

Kathy, why did I think of "the sound of silence" when I read that?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 10:46:47 AM »

great, now S&G will be singing in MY head all day  evil

acebird, your statement about accidents is wrong anyway.  i have a friend who was permanently disabled in a Honda VS. Honda accident.  the other driver died.  my friend now drives an SUV.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 10:49:28 AM »

I wouldn't be caught dead in a little car.

That really came out wrong.  Undecided

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 03:45:34 PM »

should they add a tax to semi's, fire trucks, farm trucks, delivery trucks, ambulance,

No because these are trained professionals with their job and license at stake.  The macho dim wit that drives the vehicle is the one that has to be controlled.  And yes that is the job of the government.

my friend now drives an SUV.

Oh, I bet he is safe now!  Never heard of anybody dieing in one of those. rolleyes

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 04:12:17 PM »

Trained professionals.... I like that. I use to be one of those. The biggest problem is those people in the little cars that do not realize what it takes to stop one of those big rigs, and they hop right in front of the trucker and slams on the brakes to turn a corner. Guess who looks to be at fault?

Did you know real young kids can drive farm trucks and equipment?

So I am one of those (ex) professionals and I drive SUVs and pickups. Do I get an exemption?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
lenape13
Field Bee

We survive together, or not at all!

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 04:35:51 PM »

I assume those trained professionals include the drivers that ignore stop signs and signals on a daily basis and  run through intersections because they don't want to have to shift through all the gears.  Don't say it doesn't happen.  I see it on my drive to work every day.  Just because someone is a "trained professional" doesn't make them a better driver than anyone else.  I'm not bashing professional drivers. Most are great, but like everything else, the bad apples get the attention, and there are too many bad apples.
Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »

The biggest problem is those people in the little cars that do not realize what it takes to stop one of those big rigs, and they hop right in front of the trucker and slams on the brakes to turn a corner.

So in your past carrear that only happened with little cars?  Never did it happen with a big SUV, or Hummer driven by a little blond that could barely see over the steering wheel?  I tell you what I would do if I were a truck driver, get a cam like the cops have.  It will eliminate who is at fault.  Just keep in mind it could incriminate you too.

Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 04:42:53 PM »

Just because someone is a "trained professional" doesn't make them a better driver than anyone else.

It usually does because they have something to risk.  A few reports to the DMV or the coporate owners and that person won't be driving long.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 05:39:29 PM »

acebird, may i ask where you think intervention by the government should stop?  is there anything that it  should not regulate or tax...for our own good?

for the record, my friend would not have ended up with the engine block on HER legs if she'd been driving an SUV when she was hit.  in fact, given the conditions of the accident, both might have walked away or had minor injuries if both had been driving SUV's. 

i run into the same problem with those idiot little cars and their drivers when i'm pulling the horse trailer.  they zip around me then slam on the breaks for a light when i have already calculated my stopping distance.  very often i am glad i have a horse i there, because it's the only thing that keeps me from driving over top of them.

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 05:43:29 PM »

they zip around me then slam on the breaks for a light when i have already calculated my stopping distance.  very often i am glad i have a horse i there, because it's the only thing that keeps me from driving over top of them.

Does the horse put on the brakes for you or just tell you to whoa?
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 06:02:36 PM »

Maybe they should take stinging insects away from people before they get hurt.Or make them pay an extra tax in case some one goes into anaphylaxis shock after getting stung.
 I really think people should take personal responsibility for their lives rather than depend on womb to the tomb oversite by the government.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »

Allen, i'm sure she's back there pumping the imaginary brake, as i do when  my husband is driving  evil

should have been slam on the brakes anyway. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 06:25:47 PM »

I really think people should take personal responsibility for their lives rather than depend on womb to the tomb oversite by the government.

Wishful thinking.  In the mean time you need a governing body that will protect those that cannot protect themselves.  If there was responsibility then yes you could do with a lot less government but the fact is there isn't.

Look at the resistance on this one topic.  The fact is you should have a smoke detector in ever bedroom.  The only thing that will make it happen is regulation.  That's what sad.

Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »

acebird, may i ask where you think intervention by the government should stop?  is there anything that it  should not regulate or tax...for our own good?

When people are as concern as much for other people as they are for themselves.  When do you think that will happen?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next