Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 19, 2014, 01:36:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: banana on top of inner cover  (Read 7421 times)
Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« on: December 15, 2010, 10:00:22 AM »

Anybody ever hear of using a rotton banana to control chauckbrood?  People in my club say it works like a charm.  You have to be suited up because it really pee'd off the bees.

I did a search on this forum but didn't get any hits.

Never thought I would do it!
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:05:31 AM »

Down here that would be a SHB lure.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:07:01 AM »

From my understanding of the banana smell and beehives it would be you taking all the hits and not the search engine when you placed it on there.
Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:20:18 AM »

yup!

Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:49:33 AM »

They didn't give you detailed instructions on how to catch that snipe too, did they?   grin

Rick
Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »

Sorry I don't get the joke.

Bee-Bop
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:28:50 AM »

Scadsobees;

They didn't give you detailed instructions on how to catch that snipe too, did they?   grin

He's a engineer you have too explain it very very carefully !!  rolleyes

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:45:19 AM »

snipe hunting is almost a lost art.  Sad

by what mechanism does the banana control the chalkbrood?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bee-Bop
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 12:10:14 PM »

kathyp;

snipe hunting is almost a lost art.  Sad

It's all the fault of those durn plastic shopping bags, snipes wont have any thing to do with them !  shocked

Then again maybe, a rotten banana in a plastic bag might work ?  huh  huh

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "
Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:13:58 PM »

I found this:
http://www.hgsc.bcm.tmc.edu/projects/microbial/documents/review_Chalkb.pdf

Start on page 13, this caught my eye:
In the USA the management of honeybee colonies

The banana starts on page 14.

Beek member claimed he had a hive amongst other hives that had chalkbrood for four years.  Local guru said throw in a rotten banana and stand back.  Two weeks later no evidence of chalkbrood.  It is not scientific but for the cost of a rotton banana that could be laying in the woods anyway what would you choose, the banana or a pound of toxic chemicals?  It's a no brain-er for me.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 12:16:14 PM »

i don't know any chemicals that work for chalkbrood.  most of the time it's self limiting.  don't see that it could do any harm....

bee-bop, default to the pillow case.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 12:42:54 PM »

The ever illusive snipe....tastes good with a red wine sauce  grin
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 12:54:44 PM »

I would not feel good about placing a banana anywhere near my beehives. The banana smell is their alarm pheromone and I would think it might upset them to constantly have that smell on top of them.

Also I thought chaulkbrood was a problem mostly due to ventilation?? Doesn't it clear up pretty easily??
nella
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 01:16:15 PM »

Bananas(Dole) are treated with thiabendazole and/or imazalil or azoxystrobin which I think are fungicides. Might there be enough residual material left in the peelings to cure chaulkbrood?
Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »

The banana smell is their alarm pheromone and I would think it might upset them to constantly have that smell on top of them.

Yes, this is what they said.  I was also told they devourer it, not much left.

Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 01:26:30 PM »

It almost sounds like a prank they'd pull on the new greenie beekeeper..."put a banana on and stand nearby and watch it work!!"
 grin

Like Kathy said...it usually is self limiting, and anybody that had it bad in a hive should be kicked because re-queening is the best cure after a few months of it.  I wonder if the banana induces the hive to supercede the queen - that would cure it.

Rick
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 01:33:03 PM »

I guess the results would depend on if it was an organically grown banana fertilized with all natural monkey poo or one of those wretched Monsanto chemical laden ones  evil
Acebird
Field Bee

Just getting started

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 01:47:04 PM »

I guess the results would depend on if it was an organically grown banana fertilized with all natural monkey poo or one of those wretched Monsanto chemical laden ones  evil

Hard to figure who is friend or foe on this site but you hit the nail on the head.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »

friend or foe?  must we choose sides?

chalkbrood is USUALLY self limiting.  i have lost a hive to it in spite of things like requeening.  it grows were conditions are good for fungus, and that would be here!  in places where moisture is less, and the hive can be ventilated, it is usually self limiting.  i also read a couple of reports about getting the temp up in the hive which would probably preclude the ventilating part.....i did close one hive except for small entrance, i hottest part of summer.  the chalkbrood cleared up, but i have no idea if the heat in the hive was the reason.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »

Beek member claimed he had a hive amongst other hives that had chalkbrood for four years.  

Sorry, Kathy, I was referring to this situation, not yours or any particular one here.  Maybe that reported episode was a very low-grade case, but this situation seems suspect.  I would take that story with a grain or salt...4 years is a long time to endure that in a hive. 

Usually increased hygeine amongst the bees will cure, which is why requeening works for long-term cases - they get the problems out sooner before the fungus can spread.  The humidity and weather gets it going, but if the bees can keep on top of it, it isn't such a problem.

Rick
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next