Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic Vapor disaster  (Read 7947 times)

Offline ItalianBeekeeper

  • New Bee
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: Oxalic Vapor disaster
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »
10 minutes of fumigation is too much, it will take less than one minute. it should be the alternative to drop oxalic acid solution between the frame-spaces and it will take 3 minutes in that way  :-P

Offline tecumseh

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 391
  • Gender: Male
Re: Oxalic Vapor disaster
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 08:04:45 AM »
first a snip...
Oxalic Acid-- Hardware store wood bleach brand.

tecumseh...
I have not use oxalic vapor in a several years but when I did I obtained 99.6% pure oxalic on the net at a very low price.  although folks did suggest the wood bleach route to me when I was considering the oxalic vapor method I am a bit to weary of what else might be in there for myself to use such a product in my hive.  I think too much of my own family (who do eat my honey) and my 'girls' to take those kinds of risk.

If my recall is correct the two grams of oxalic would totally vaporize using an engine block heater in just about two minutes... should be much faster if you were using a pipe and plumber's torch.

I never saw anything in my experience in using vaporized oxalic that even approaches you description.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline derekm

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 535
Re: Oxalic Vapor disaster
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 07:23:40 AM »
Oxalic acid sublimes from a round 101C however around 157C it decomposes into CARBON MONOXIDE CO2 and H20

using a propane torch is not temperature controlled and so rapid heating of the tube could have converted a signinficant proportion to CARBON MONOXIDE.
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline primeonly27

  • New Bee
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • primeonly27
Re: Oxalic Vapor disaster
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 11:02:41 PM »
Was their any lead solder on the pipe? 

Offline HWDylan

  • New Bee
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: Oxalic Vapor disaster
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 01:24:55 PM »
Oxalic acid sublimes from a round 101C however around 157C it decomposes into CARBON MONOXIDE CO2 and H20

using a propane torch is not temperature controlled and so rapid heating of the tube could have converted a signinficant proportion to CARBON MONOXIDE.


I am with derekm on this. Using an uncontrolled method of heating is asking for trouble in my opinion.

 

anything