Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 31, 2014, 02:25:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: couldn't have said it better  (Read 2852 times)
fish_stix
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »

Bigbear; don't know where you got your ideas about barracks and such. Until I was commissioned I lived in open bay barracks. Rows of double bunk beds end to end, separated by rows of lockers. There's no privacy. The head is open, no stalls, you could hold hands with the guy taking a dump next to you, if you were of that persuasion. On the ships it's worse. 100-150 sailors or Marines per living compartment, very small lockers, only large enough to hang 2 or 3 shirts, and a compartment under each bunk to store folded stuff like underwear. The heads on ships, even for officers, are open stall, showers all open. The military doesn't in any way equate to civilian life. I found it interesting that in the poll conducted of military personnel on the issue of DADT, while a majority of members said that they didn't have a problem with doing away with the policy, a majority of the combat troops and forward deployed units, like Marines, Army combat divisions and deployed ships, were opposed to changing the policy. Happy to see we still have a core of "warrior" oriented folks available to handle bad situations.
bigbearomaha
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »

don't know where you got your ideas about barracks and such

it is my understanding from my relative currently serving as a marine

that's where  I got my understanding, from someone who is serving in Afghanistan right now.

small quarters is still not a physical sandwich 24/7 as has been described here.

if you have read any of my earlier posts, it's not that I am for getting rid of DODT.  because  I am not.  I just think that the reasons given here for people not controlling themselves and fear of who's watching your bootie is over complicating the issue.

DODT should stay, in my opinion, because expression of one's "lifestyle choices" is secondary to the purpose of joining the military.

One joins the military to be a soldier.  Not a "gay" soldier, not a "straight' soldier, not a republican or democrat or Pro-PETA soldier.

One joins to be a soldier period.  If you go in with anything other than that as an agenda, you should not be there.

It's that simple.

mac
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 08:48:03 AM »

George Carlen said it best. “Military intelligence. Oxymoron.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next