Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first KTBH  (Read 1252 times)

My first KTBH
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:00:04 AM »
This is my Kenyan Top Bar Bee Hive, I made it using 1 inch thick Eastern Red Aromatic Cedar, It is supposed to be close to a natural hive making the bees think they are working inside a hollow tree. The top, the window ( so we can spy on them) and bottom are hinged with a brass piano hinge. I sealed the top with 6 inch wide Copper eave material, I put a weathervane on top so the bees know which way the wind is blowing when they come in for a landing. I used a wood burner and burned a picture of a bee then painted it so the bees would know where their home is. I was going to burn an address on it but my wife Rene said they can't read that's why I went with the picture.
From the ground to the top bar it is 38 inches which is a little tall but I am over 6 feet tall and this way I will not have to bend over to much to pull the Honey bars, I added a step between the legs so Rene being 5 feet tall can get up and help me with all the things that need to be done. It is a full 48 inches long with 30 Bars and two follower boards.
I insulated the roof with 1 inch foam board for the winter months and months and months we have here in Indiana.
All the frame and legs are milled lumber to a full 2 inch by 3 inch material, the body of the hive is full 1 inch material, I split 1x6 boards and milled them to 3/8 inch boards for the roof.
All the hardware is stainless steel.
This is the only way I can figure out how to do it, hope it works for everyone and PLEASE send comments, what needs to bee changed or added good and bad welcome.

Indiana BeeKeepers Association
Indiana State BeeKeepers Association
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:05:35 AM by eivindm »

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Re: My first KTBH
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »
Very nice! Looks like you put alot of work into it!

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 10:03:46 AM »
That's not a beehive, it's a work of art!! :-D

Offline Eric-WD

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 12:15:45 PM »
wow, :shock: that looks like a blanket chest designed to look like a KTBH.  I was thinking of somthing similar out of fir.  That is very nice workmanship.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »
Looks good!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 02:20:53 PM by wd »

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:41:54 AM »
Thanks everyone, now if I can just get the Bees to like it next spring. I'm retired and do woodworking as a hobby to stay out from under the wifes feet and to keep my hands busy.
Going to start another one today, it will not be the same as this one, I always try to make a few changes to anything I build.
Heres some of my woodworking I do to stay out of trouble, oops, forgot I can't post it but if anyone wants to see it email me and I'll send.
I'm also working on a way to feed my Bees in a KTBH, I have only seen one neat way of doing it by Daves Bees.
Thanks Again