Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 21, 2014, 06:05:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee's Ready  (Read 53137 times)
sterling
Field Bee

« Reply #480 on: September 26, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »

I'm still picking tomatoes of plants I set out second week of Aprill. Hope they last till frost.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #481 on: September 26, 2012, 08:01:54 PM »

Tomatoes, okra, beans, and peppers still making here. 
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #482 on: September 26, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »

we have been lucky so far.  no frost.  the rain has stayed off too.  tomatoes are taking their sweet time ripening and i'm afraid they are not going to get there.  maybe time to go whack the bushes and see if i can help them along....

Once they start to turn red you can pick them and put them on the window sill to ripen. Just don't put them in the fridge.
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #483 on: September 27, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »

been doing that.  also hacked all the plant down yesterday.  another week or so and we'll get there, i hope!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
sterling
Field Bee

« Reply #484 on: September 27, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »

we have been lucky so far.  no frost.  the rain has stayed off too.  tomatoes are taking their sweet time ripening and i'm afraid they are not going to get there.  maybe time to go whack the bushes and see if i can help them along....

If they don't get ripe do as us southern folk do and fry the green ones.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #485 on: September 27, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »

That may just be the reason we don't have so many ripe ones this year.........
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #486 on: September 28, 2012, 08:46:31 PM »

I'm still picking tomatoes of plants I set out second week of Aprill. Hope they last till frost.

When you have more green and ripe maters than you can fry or make sandwiches with, that's Ma Natures way of telling you to make Chow-Chow.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #487 on: December 01, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »

Cool and cloudy today. Have not seen anyone on ventrilo this AM. Had a lot of coffee while researching Christmas ideas.
Seems my wife is interested in attachments for her Kitchenaid stand mixer I purchased for her last Christmas. I will probably look up some tools for Buzzjr.
We are planning on shopping this afternoon which will most likely be a browsing effort for me and observing what catches the little ladies eye!
Good Day everyone!
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #488 on: December 02, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »

I managed to get a few gift ideas last night. No real eye openers though. However we did stop at a pub and Brewery for supper. I had a brisket cheese  steak grinder sandwich that was really good. And washed it down with one of the breweries local crafted adult beverages. I knew it would be good when I saw the parking lot packed. After a 30 minute wait for a table the food was very quick to be prepared. Everything was hot to the touch,not just sitting under a heat lamp forever. We had a beer cheese appetizer that was similar to a cheese ball served with their housemade baguette ( bread). This was a mix of Amish cheeses and cream cheese incorporating a house lager into the mix. Very tasty!!

Now to ponder today!! Smiley
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #489 on: December 03, 2012, 11:43:30 PM »

I think this might be the first time I have ever posted on this topic. Well here goes.

Life has been extremely hectic this year with a major remodel we did on our little cottage. We had a flood in the kitchen and had to tear out the entire kitchen. It is finally coming to the end and looks fabulous.

I did not make any cosmetics this year as I took time off from it all. Will start up again sometime soon, but taking a break was very good for me. It was becoming stressful instead of fun. It was supposed to be fun. I am not sure if I will sell anything or just make stuff for friends and family for now on.

I had an OK year with the bees. Had only 3 hives this year and they never made any honey. I even had to feed them starting in August. Still with all the feeding, they still looked a bit on the low end store wise. Hope they make it through the winter. I am thinking of going with even less hives this coming year. Perhaps just 1-2 hives for now on. My back is in terrible shape and lifting is very hard for me now. Also I am getting up in age although I do much better than most my age.

As you can all tell, I am cutting back on many things in my life. I am trying to simplify things and concentrate on what is important. Keeping my house clean and cozy, cooking good food for my hubby and myself. I don't want to stress out anymore on things and am cutting out many things in my life that cause stress.

This month I bought a car for the first time in 15 years. A Subaru Impreza Hatchback All Wheel Drive. I just love it, the nicest car I ever owned. It feels so luxurious with heated leather seats, moon roof, HD 6 speakers radio. I am amazed at all the buttons and gadgets that they place on cars these days. I went through the Costco Auto Program and they negotiate the price. No haggling.

Went back East for Thanksgiving to visit my brother in New Jersey and saw some of the aftermath of Sandy. Many large trees down everywhere and so many people out with chain saws trying to clean up their properties. I felt grateful for my life and my home after hearing so many horror stories.

Well thats all for now. Just trying to take life a bit easier, slow down, watch more movies, take more naps. Less running around.

Take care and don't get too stressed out by the holidays. I know so many people that get bummed out this time of year.

Annette

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #490 on: December 04, 2012, 06:22:22 AM »

Great to hear from you Annette,
It is awesome that you were able to  turn your own disaster around to something nice.And  it sounds like you have developed a great personal philosophy and strategy to achieve it. Smiley
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #491 on: December 04, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »

Been out in the woods every chance I get. Just came back from north Louisiana where I had those black bears under my stand. Still have such fond memories of that great experience!

Been feeding the hives that need it. They really seem to just love our little warm up periods (not that its ever really, really cold down here)

Thanksgiving was a great time. We spent it in Magnolia, Ms at my aunt & uncle's house in the woods on 30 acres. It was bittersweet, however, as we lost my last grandparent not even a week before.

She lived to be 3 days shy of 90 yrs. She and my grandfather ran a Po'boy and delicatessen for many years. They would get up early every morning for years cooking all the food and making gravies from scratch. It was a lot of fun and hard work, long hours. I made sandwiches when they were in a crunch. I was 12. My grandmother lived a long wonderful life and was not in pain at the end. You really can't ask for more than that.

Christmas is just right around the corner & before you know it we'll be celebrating the beginning of a new year. How the time flies when you're not quite so young anymore!

Merry Christmas everyone & Happy New Year!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #492 on: December 04, 2012, 10:16:07 PM »

JP, sorry to hear you lost your last grandparent.  Sounds like they lived a good life in the woods.  My relatives pretty much live forever too.  Got many over 90 and had a great uncle that lived to 104.  I figure I'll get to retire when I’m dead.  
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #493 on: December 05, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »

JP, sorry to hear you lost your last grandparent.  Sounds like they lived a good life in the woods.  My relatives pretty much live forever too.  Got many over 90 and had a great uncle that lived to 104.  I figure I'll get to retire when I’m dead.  
Hope ya don't retire till your 90's then Blue!
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #494 on: December 06, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »

sorry to hear it jp

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #495 on: December 06, 2012, 11:51:57 PM »

Sorry to hear about your grandmother JP. I hope you have her good genes and can live a long and fruitful life as she did. It sounds like a wonderful childhood making those sandwiches for their deli.

Cherish the memories you have of her.

Sincerely
Annette
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #496 on: December 15, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »

Well folks not really much of a winter so far. Just crazy warm down my way. I even did a cut out yesterday & the queen was laying her little fanny off! This is the latest I'ver ever done a cut out. The guy could not wait any longer and we picked a warm day, the high was 70F and those little darlings were flying away. They were very gentle and did not require any smoke at all.

I hope everyone is having a great holiday season so far and continue to do so. Christmas is just right around the corner & then 2013. How the time flies!

...JP

and

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #497 on: December 24, 2012, 06:51:35 AM »

Well,l headed off to work after I finish my coffee. It looks like we may get snow later today setting the tone for Christmas.I haven't been on in a while so I thought I'd pop in and wish you all a Merry Christmas. May your days be Merry and Bright!!!
Merry Christmas everyone!!
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #498 on: December 25, 2012, 02:05:46 AM »

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope it is a great day for you and yours.

...JP

and

sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #499 on: December 25, 2012, 05:50:59 AM »

And a merry Christmas to you JP  an everyone else here on the forum.
JP, noticing the time of your post, are you trying to wait up to see Santa Clause? You know he won't come if you do not go to sleep.  grin
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next