Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 11:09:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: screened bottom board and winter  (Read 1807 times)
slacker361
Field Bee

« on: October 30, 2010, 02:44:25 PM »

I am assuming that i should put the slider in the screened bottom board for winter?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 02:54:39 PM »

i do.  i don't think you'll find many hive in the wild, in our northern climates, that have their bottoms hanging open.   evil

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 06:55:46 PM »

Thats another million dollar question. Some say put one in, others say leave it open all winter. Ive got half of mine open and the other half closed up so I will know next year what works for me. I'm about 700 miles south of you, with varied winters.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 11:00:24 AM »

http://bushfarms.com/beeslocality.htm

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Joelel
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »

I am assuming that i should put the slider in the screened bottom board for winter?

I'm in Texas and I put closure boards in when it gets down to 60s at night and 80s in the days. Bees must keep brood around 91 if I remember right, it's much easier when you help them.Worker bees help keep them warm when they are needed, when they are not needed it frees them up to do their job.

Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »

I do use screened bottom board their are open all the time .

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
trapperbob
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 06:06:29 PM »

I never use them except to take a mite count and im in Nebraska and we get way down below zero in winter. I've found so long as they have plenty of stores they do just fine. As a rule I try not to take any fall honey unless there is a sizable surplus this way they have more than enough for winter. Ive never lost bees to the cold only to a lack of food. That being said do what you feel comfortable doing no two beeks seem to do it the exact same way and most are succesful. Dont be afraid to experiment and find what works best for you.
pollenchucker
House Bee

42 days and their wings fall off, eh?

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 08:19:48 PM »

Funny last year everyone here said keep them open as they were intended to be.  Now we are closing them back up.  I left mine about 1.5 inches open just to let in a little air.
mathew
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »

I leave mine open all winter last year. Helps in ventilation. Bees aren't afraid of the cold just the dampness. I'll do the same this year.
bugleman
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 12:32:46 PM »

I like the ventilation that the open bottom gives the hive.  I do believe that cold wind (less than 20-25degrees F)  will make them burn up honey very fast if left open.  This year I will slide in the bottom covers when we get our first cold snap and remove them some time in late February.
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 01:25:35 PM »

keep mine open year round 'cept doing the mite count.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
Two Bees
Field Bee

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »

I close mine up last week using a political sign that I cut to size.  I made sure that the elections were over though!   grin

I decided to close them up to keep west wind from blowing up through as well as to prevent light from entering.  I read in one of those many articles written that compared solid BB to screened BB and it mentioned that it appears that the queen doesn't like to lay in the frames near the light.  But what do I know.......I have half of my hives with solids and the other have with screened. 

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next