ichecked frames really good for the queen and boxed them up with the new queen cage....you know where this is going right? checked 2 days later and released the queen whereupon they commenced to try and kill her.
LOL! Sounds like a stunt I'd pull. (Wait a minute -- I did!)
So what I ended up doing was putting supers on hive 3 & 4 (from packages this year) with an entrance for each at the top of the brood chamber; a second super on hive 1 (the cutdown split) with an entrance between the supers; and an entrance in hive 2 (the walkaway split) between the brood chamber and the existing super. Hive 2 is giving me grief this year, with lots of burr comb throughout, and the queen laying in the super. I moved her down, shuffled some empty brood comb into the lower box, and maybe she'll stay there while the brood above hatches and the colony starts refilling the super with honey. This is the same queen that laid in the super last year. The new queen in the cutdown is doing real good, keeping herself in the brood chamber with probably 8 or 9 frames full of capped brood, and much of the rest ucapped brood and honey/pollen. That hive will be exploding in a week or two!
And I opened some drone brood in each hive and found no evidence of varroa anywhere.