Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 27, 2014, 11:46:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GOP Presidential wish list  (Read 4422 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 11:28:44 AM »

Ron Paul is not a nut, but he's have no chance to get any of his platform done through any congress.  at least where he is, he can influence what is done.  his current push to audit the fed is a good one. 

i like Romney, but he comes from a state where no republican can do anything without lots of compromise.  he has learned that art well.  do we want another RINO who's greatest skill is deal making?

i love Chris Christy.  don't know if he'd be able to deal with congress without stroking out.....

i'm guessing that the answer is in a state governor again.  someone who has learned to lead and get things done, and not been corrupted by Washington.  congress is all about playing the game.  governors are about leadership.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 02:58:43 PM »

I think being a governor is better preparation to be president than being in Congress.  It takes different skill sets to be a governor than it does a legislator, executive skills vs legislative skills.

Obama said it best on his upcoming 60 Minutes interview where he said he was so busy legislating that he forgot to lead  (let's not get into a discussion about WHERE he would have lead us/is leading us.)

Obama came out of/up through the legislative branch of government and that is all that he was interested in, passing big honken legislation.  He forgot about the other parts of his job, i.e. foreign policy, commander in chief, uniting the country, moral leadership, etc.  That is why the ship of state is adrift and the majority of the electorate thinks the country is on the wrong track.

linda d
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 01:20:06 AM »

I have to admit I don't remember a lot about Ron Paul's platform; I remember thinking he should have been the nominee for the GOP and a friend giving me a real telling off because I didn't want to write him in and have another Ross Perot vote split. As much as I liked the two of them I know the Democrats don't have anyone who is able to split their vote, (even green party, etc. can't make an effective split in the liberal vote) for some reason when Dems profess to be all things to all hippies - they just believe it - consistently.

be happy and make others happy.
Bheckel169
New Bee

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 08:43:04 AM »

I'm new to the forum but I thought I'd jump in.  I'm a Romney fan.  Having once lived in Utah for 25 years, I watched him turn the Winter Olympics around and make a profit (no really).  He has been a very successful businessman and I think right now that would be a key asset in today's difficult economy.  There's been a lot of misinformation about Romneycare in MA.  It has unarguably raised the number of Massachusetts citizens with health-care coverage, and has reduced out-of-pocket costs for many. But it hasn’t reduced overall costs.  I'm not sure healthcare costs can be reduced when you bring in more people under the system.  The benefit and difference I see to his program is that it is State sponsored as opposed to a federally sponsored bureaucracy and that means state legislators can fine tune a healthcare program much more quickly and based on their own set of circumstances and requirements for their citizens.  I think a State run program makes more sense but more importantly, he is the only candidate out there who has real world experience and we need that right now.
Bruce
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 09:24:36 AM »

glad to have you jump in.   grin  i agree with you about Romney.  he has been a good manager in many ways.  i just don't know a having him as prez.  guess he's not quite conservative enough for me.....although i would have been happy to vote for him rather than McCain.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 09:34:33 AM »

Experience means nothing without huge kahunas to go up against the lobbyists, unions, teacher pacts, etc.

Would I want Romney on my companies board, maybe.

Do I think he is removed enough from being well connected, to actually step on the toes, rock the boat, and get done and do what is needed for this country....I do not think so.

We don't need another well spoken and accredited business type who is a nice guy, willing to fold the first time pressured. We need someone who no doubt is tough enough to put a boot up the rear of a few people and organizations out there. The path we are going, is one that needs changed. And that will not be easy to do.

I would rather have a guy who can do what is right, then return to his business and walk away, without thinking he needs to be a career politician. I'm looking at outside the system for solutions. Not looking as we also do, within the system, and being screwed over and over.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 10:05:39 AM »

I think Romney's true conservative credentials will always be in question, being from Massachusetts and passing Romney care.  But when he dropped out of the presidential race in 2008 he gave a fabulous concession speech,  really telling it like it is.  My husband turned to me and said, "If he had been talking like that during the campaign, he might have won the nomination."

Most pols can read the tea leaves and see that the country is trending right and frame their rhetoric accordingly.  I am with Bjorn.  I want someone who is going to kick a little #@% and shake things up.  Washington is broken, corrupt.  A newbie who just got elected to Congress from my district ran on the slogan "w
We will never change the status quo in Washington if we keep sending the status quo to Washington."  This was the guy's first time to run for anything.  I grabbed him by the tie at one of his fund raisers and told him if he went up there and blended in and got the political bug to stay around up there for a dozen terms I would lead the charge to defeat him.  He said he wouldn't, but that is what they all say, in the beginning.

Oklahoma just passed term limits for all our statewide state officials.  We already had it for our legislators.  Now if we can just get term limits for Washington! (ooops.  I guess I am off on another topic.)  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:05:56 PM by ldaxon » Logged

linda d
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »

Haley barbor is not an outsider by any means,but he has done well for Mississippi.
 I like his line of thought here:
http://www.governorbarbour.com/news/2010/oct/10.29.10statementonoctrevenues.html
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/05/haley-barbours-success-rate-plus-insider-status-question/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »

i like Barbour also.  he's been a stand up guy and his example might have contributed to Jindal getting elected.  these southern states are starting to attract a lot of industry.  if they can keep the tax rates favorable and keep the unions out of the way, they have a chance of bringing jobs and money to the south.  

Alexis de Tocqueville
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 12:42:11 PM »

i like Barbour also.  he's been a stand up guy and his example might have contributed to Jindal getting elected.  these southern states are starting to attract a lot of industry.  if they can keep the tax rates favorable and keep the unions out of the way, they have a chance of bringing jobs and money to the south.  
Watch out Bud,I may be movin,LOL
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »

I don't know if I could take H. Barbour's southern drawl for 4 years! grin  (JP's yes. Barbour's Huh??)

Barbour has been around a LONG time.  I remember hearing about him sometime around 1980 when my husband was in elected office.  People who have spent their whole lives in politics tend to have a lot of baggage and aren't known for thinking outside the box, which we need to be doing when it comes to solving this country's problems.

linda d
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 02:27:16 PM »

I don't know if I could take H. Barbour's southern drawl for 4 years

are you displaying accent bias?   shocked

there is a line that needs to be drawn between experience, and entrenchment.  we have had a couple of examples of what happens when we elect inexperienced people.  we need those who have both real life experience and some knowledge of how political leadership works (or doesn't). 

Alexis de Tocqueville
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »

I don't know if I could take H. Barbour's southern drawl for 4 years!

What southern drawl? He talks like everyone I know.  Jerry

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 04:51:56 PM »

I don't know if I could take H. Barbour's southern drawl for 4 years!

What southern drawl? He talks like everyone I know.  Jerry

Steve

grin grin
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 05:51:23 PM »

I'd go with Jim DeMint, even though he has said more than once that he would rather stay as Senator of SC.

I do NOT want to see the following running again, they're damaged goods, however, they would do well in the Political Action Committees such as what Sarah Palin has been doing since she left office in AK.

Huckabee
Romney
Palin
Paul

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2010, 06:09:50 PM »

everybody is damaged goods if you look hard enough.  of your 4, i'd say the only one with a chance would be Romney, and he would not be my choice.  Paul has a dedicated following, but to small.  Palin, as much as i like her, has a voice that is like fingernails on a chalkboard  evil, Huckabee would not appeal to a lot of the social moderate/liberals that don't care much about moral issues.

of all that you picked, Romney is the only one who can walk the line between the fiscal conservatives who are moderates/independents and the social/moral conservatives.

social issues aside, i'd like to see a more fiscally conservative candidate.  i don't think Romney proved that he was, in MA.

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 07:21:57 PM »

The following are individuals who have either formally announced that they are running for president in 2012 and have filed as a candidate with the Federal Election Commission (FEC), or have formed an exploratory committee for a possible presidential run in 2012.
Republican Party

* Jon Greenspon, businessman of Montana, has filed as a Republican presidential candidate with the FEC.

* Fred Karger, political consultant and gay activist of California, has formed an exploratory committee for a 2012 run for the Republican presidential nomination.

Libertarian Party

* Former Libertarian National Committee Vice-Chair and the editor and co-founder of Liberty for All online magazine R. Lee Wrights of Texas formed an exploratory committee on July 4, 2010.

Independents

* Street performer Robert Burck of New York

* Former journalist, author, and perennial independent candidate Joe Schriner of Ohio

None of the following has formally announced his or her candidacy for the Republican Party nomination. The following individuals are currently speculated about as possible candidates. It is common for popular individuals to wait to announce their candidacies until later in the election cycle.
# Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona
# Governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi
# Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton of Maryland
# Former Governor Jeb Bush of Florida
# Businessman and radio talk show host Herman Cain of Georgia
# Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey
# Senator John Cornyn of Texas
# Governor Mitch Daniels of Indiana
# Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina
# Former Speaker of the House of Representatives Newt Gingrich of Georgia
# Former Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas
# Governor Bobby Jindal of Louisiana
# Former Governor Gary Johnson of New Mexico
# Governor Bob McDonnell of Virginia
# Former Governor and 2008 vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin of Alaska
# Representative Ron Paul of Texas
# Governor Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota
# Representative Mike Pence of Indiana
# Governor Rick Perry of Texas
# General David Petraeus of New York
# Former Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts
# Senator-Elect Marco Rubio of Florida
# Representative Paul Ryan of Wisconsin
# Former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania
# Senator John Thune of South Dakota
# Businessman Donald Trump of New York
Copied from wiki.   I threw in the Libertarian and Independents candidates.   Any thoughts on these people?
Bheckel169
New Bee

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »

I think this is good stuff and this group seems to have a pretty savvy and mature approach to what we're looking for and I'm not joking here, are all beekeepers, conservative Republicans or Independents?  Wow, I'm a member of the BMW motorcycle forum and talk about leaning to the left and more!  Anyway, please keep in mind, the downside with Romney is that he is Mormon.  That is the Elephant in the room no one wants to talk about but having lived there for 25 years and not being a Mormon I can tell you he truly is a conservative.  His church is conservative and even though his father was the Governor of Michigan and considered a moderate, deep down, this guy is business savvy, and tuned into the financial world but has a service mentality that comes from the culture of his religion.  I've come to appreciate Mormons in many ways.  I can honestly say I find the religion to be strange, but aside from that, you can't find a more genuine, honest and service oriented type than Romney and I have many personal stories to back it up.  I don't see anyone that comes close to what he can do for our country.  The hurdle is going to be if the country can accept him as an accepted member of our culture based on his religion.
Bruce
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 09:25:41 PM »

One of the things I think people should consider, is what would be needed to get the country on the right track.

Kind of like asking....ok, healthcare needs overhauled. But what things could be changed. Buying health care across state lines, tort reform, etc.

Then look at each item. Lets select tort reform.

I don't think you can fix healthcare without it. But I also do not trust any of the better than 90% of senators who are lawyers, to actually vote tort reform in. And having an attorney as president, would almost guarantee that not happening.

For me, I almost automatically discount all senators and lawyers. They are part of the problem with this country. Problem is....almost all politicians are lawyers.

And yet, when a normal "joe" comes along, we discount them due to not having the same qulaifications. I want a few average hard working "Joes" (or Janes) to get some things done. I have lost all faith on ANYBODY from within the system.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2010, 09:56:22 PM »

i'm not sure his being Mormon had that big an impact on his not getting the nomination.  i think the press did.  they were all gushy about McCain from the beginning, but i don't know any conservative who wanted him.  if his religion made any difference before, i don't think it would next time....not after this prez.

most of the problems with health care are not as complicated as some would make them out to be. what might be complicated is getting people to think differently about how they get their health care.  if you are going to make the purchase of insurance and care less expensive, you need to make the pricing of insurance and care consumer driven.  that means that people have to stop expecting someone else (their job) to pay for it.  you make it easier for the consumer to purchase exactly what they need, and you reform Medicare.  to cover those who do not have any coverage and can't afford to buy it, you need to get the insurance companies to create low cost pools that small business and lower income people can buy into, and states are going to have to make some choices.  do they want to spend money on art crap, pot holes, or health care.    

while i am not in favor of the feds taking over the insurance companies, this is one area where the existing regulations may need to be examined.  i don't want insurance companies forced to take those with pre-existing conditions, but those with pre-existing conditions should be able to buy into the pools.  i don't think an insurance company should be allowed to dump someone who has been making insurance payments when that person gets sick.
 there would be more free care available if there were serious tort reform.  the guys don't want to stick their necks out doing charity work and insurance won't cover lots of them anymore.  doctors who would otherwise be happy to donate time are going overseas to work because they won't get sued for their good works.

NO ONE should get free care.  i don't care if it's a dollar per visit, some payment needs to be made.  

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next