Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 27, 2014, 07:30:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "PLEASE DON'T PEE ON MY LEG AND TELL ME IT'S RAINING."  (Read 5373 times)
iddee
Galactic Bee

« on: October 25, 2010, 06:26:18 PM »

Absolutely No Profiling!
Pause a moment, reflect back, and take the following multiple choice test.
These events are actual events from history..

1. 1968 Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed by:
a.. Superman
b. Jay Leno
c. Harry Potter
d. A Muslim male extremist between the ages of 17 and 40
2. In 1972 at the Munich Olympics, athletes were kidnapped and massacred by :
a. Olga Corbett
b. Sitting Bull
c. Arnold Schwarzenegger
d. Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40
3. In 1979, the US embassy in Iran was taken over by:
a. Lost Norwegians
b. Elvis
c. A tour bus full of 80-year-old women
d . Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40
4. During the 1980's a number of Americans were kidnapped in Lebanon by:
a. John Dillinger
b. The King of Sweden
c. The Boy Scouts
5. In 1983, the US Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by:
a. A pizza delivery boy
b. Pee Wee Herman
c.. Geraldo Rivera
6. In 1985 the cruise ship Achille Lauro was hijacked and a 70 year old American passenger was murdered and thrown overboard in his wheelchair by:
a. The Smurfs
b. Davey Jones
c. The Little Mermaid

7. In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at Athens , and a US Navy diver trying to rescue passengers was murdered by:
a. Captain Kidd
b. Charles Lindberg
c. Mother Teresa
8. In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:
a. Scooby Doo
b. The Tooth Fairy
c. The Sundance Kid
9. In 1993 the World Trade Center was bombed the first time by:
a. Richard Simmons
b. Grandma Moses
c. Michael Jordan
10. In 1998, the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed by:
a. Mr. Rogers
b. Hillary Clinton , to distract attention from Wild Bill 's women problems
c. The World Wrestling Federation
11. On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked; two were used as missiles to take out the World Trade Centers and of the remaining two, one crashed into the US Pentagon and the other was diverted and crashed by the passengers. Thousands of people were killed by:
a. Bugs Bunny, Wiley E. Coyote, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd
b. The Supreme Court of Florida
c. Mr. Bean
12. In 2002 the United States fought a war in Afghanistan against:
a. Enron
b. The Lutheran Church
c. The NFL
13. In 2002 reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped and murdered by:
a. Bonnie and Clyde
b. Captain Kangaroo
c Billy Graham
d.. Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40
No, I really don't see a pattern here to justify profiling, do you?
So, to ensure we Americans never offend anyone, particularly fanatics intent on killing us, airport security screeners will no longer be allowed to profile certain people..They must conduct random searches of 80-year-old women, little kids, airline pilots with proper identification, secret agents who are members of the President's security detail, 85-year old Congressmen with metal hips, and Medal of Honor winner and former Governor Joe Foss, but leave Muslim Males between the ages 17 and 40 alone lest they be guilty of profiling.

Foot note: Fort Hood Texas .Another Muslim 39 years old killed 13 people and wounded 30 some odd others...
Does this fit the profile ?

NOW OUR COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF IS TELLING EVERYONE THAT THE YOUNG MUSLIM THAT ATTEMPTED TO BLOW UP A NORTHWEST/DELTA JET AS IT APPROACHED DETROIT ON CHRISTMAS DAY WAS (QUOTE) "AN ISOLATED INCIDENT".
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE bleep ME OR WHAT!!!
"PLEASE DON'T PEE ON MY LEG AND TELL ME IT'S RAINING."

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »

First test I answered all right in a while.   Everybody knows profiling works but everyone wants to be PC and not do it.   It will hurt us again.
bigbearomaha
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 07:38:33 PM »

Are you completely sure those events in the test weren't really committed by secret agents of the U.S. gov't and it's uber-rich corporate and legacy super-rich secret societies of elites that really control the gov't?

I mean, it is common knowledge around other countries in the world that the U.S. gov't is nothing more than the new face of imperialist dominators and they have the tacit, if not ignorant approval of the spoiled and rude American citizens.

I just want to keep you out of trouble for trying to frame up a bunch of completely innocent patriots and religious martyrs who are only defending their countries and way of life from our ruthless, conniving ways.

rolleyes
vmmartin
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:03:03 PM »

Everybody profiles. If they say they don't, I question their honesty and maybe even their sanity. You cannot tell me that if Mr. and Mrs. white, upper middle class suburbanites are sitting in their den watching Dancing With the Stars and hear a knock at the door and look outside to see a couple of young Mexican, black, Indian or even white people who maybe dressed differently than they do, and not immediately profile them. I have friends that ride Harley's that tell me people are afraid to look at them because of their dress and mode of transportation. All the while, these friends are respectable law abiding citizens. It is way past tie we quit the PC crap and be honest with each other. Hmmmm.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:18:40 PM »

i remember getting "the look" when i took my son to a friends bday party in an all black neighborhood.  you don't have to be white to profile!  smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »

The pistol is sitting right over the TV now.  Ain't nobody going to make me miss my Dancing With the Stars, no matter how well dressed they are.   grin  

And yes you are right with profiling.
vmmartin
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:24:24 PM »

Amen Kathy. Allen, don't misunderstand me, I like DWS myself. I was just using a popular show as an example. My wife used to think I just watched for the skimpy outfits. But when I am spouting out critiques
as the dance is going on, she knows I am looking at the footwork. "Look at her arm" "He is way out of time" etc.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 10:11:53 PM »

I think the concept of profiling from the point of view of those who feel slighted is when they get treated with disrespect.  If I am a Muslim male between the ages of 17 and 40 who believes we are all children of Allah and I treat everyone with respect and I am not a terrorist, then I am insulted when you treat me like I am one.  On the other hand if you look more closely at me, but do so respectfully, I may not be so offended.

Being treated as guilty simply because of your race makes you feel falsely accused.

Profiling, if it is done respectfully, it can be simply narrowing the field to save the time and effort of screening everyone.  If done disrespectfully it can be the direct cause of more ill feelings in a world that has too many already.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
bigbearomaha
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 09:18:49 AM »

Your right Mike, however, one cultures definition of respect is often also different from another.

Location is one aspect that is part of the situation.  If the 'slight' were to happen in one's muslim homeland, people sshould expect to show respect as it is defined there.

if one leaves their muslim homeland to go somewhere else, the definition of respect of the place they are in should be upheld.

In many of these muslim countries, the definition of respectful behavior is considerably different than in non muslim countries.

There is a basic 'universal' way of showing respect to other human beings, but how often do people expect more or different than that?

and we can't deny, there are always those who are looking for any trouble they can make out of a situation.  No, it's not everybody, but it's enough to draw the attention their way.

Big Bear
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 09:27:57 AM »

Good post, Bear......

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 02:51:11 PM »

Your right Mike, however, one cultures definition of respect is often also different from another....
Big Bear

Yeah, it's really, really disrespectful to hold someone for questioning when the bomb sniffing dog is flipping out like a crackhead two hours before the paychecks show up.

be happy and make others happy.
bigbearomaha
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 04:30:30 PM »

He's not talking about the actions of security, he's talking about how the interaction is handled.

How do you respond to a cop who pulls you over if...

A) The cop is direct, to the point, "license, registration please", "thank you", etc..
 or
B) the cop is derogatory, says "what's your f-in problem?  give me your license and registration now" etc..

I have met both types of cops and I find I have no problem dealing  with the first one. 
The second one is likely to hear some choice words back.

I have also seen security guards give one group of people the evil eye, based on age, skin color, the way they are dressed and others they have no "mean mug" for at all.

If ones job is security, it is very possible to scrutinize and observe people as suspects without doing it in an obvious or openly hostile way.  yet there are examples of people in law enforcement and security positions that telegraph their valuations and suspicions to others and there is no professional need to do so.

However, there are some people who walk around this planet thinking that everyone else in the world is beneath them or that the world owes them something and common manners and objectivity isn't enough.  These folks want people to defer to them and cater to their enlarged sense of entitlement or there will be hell to pay.

it happens, there are people all around us like that and usually, the folks who think they should be given special treatment will make a huge fuss and create a scene about how they were treated so "badly" because no one looked the other way or treated them like everyone else.

Making someone wait in line to have their luggage checked like everyone else is an insult to someone with an enlarged ego.

Big Bear
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 06:27:07 PM »

I passed that test with flying colors.

Of course I am not a left wing radical liberal. If you are, this was a trick test. This test probably left you scratching your head for the answer. The answer for you would of been "e". And the answer filled in for "e" would be.....now stay with me.....BUSH!  grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
bulldog
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 06:28:19 PM »

i'm thinking that cavity searches are always going to be considered disrespectful now matter how polite the people performing them happen to be

Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 06:46:20 PM »

Well darn. I really thought it was the boy scouts in cahoots with Bugs Bunny  Undecided

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 07:26:06 PM »

Bulldog, that kinda depends on who's searching who's cavity doesn't it? grin

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
bulldog
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 11:46:13 PM »

yes, i suppose it does  shocked

Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 12:04:27 AM »

no, I get it bigbear, I was just riffing on what constitutes respect, and that the bad guys will cry foul every time - reliably.

be happy and make others happy.
tecumseh
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 08:53:37 AM »

being very white and very male I have no problem with profiling... imagine that?Huh

I suspect the problem is really more in the context of how something is done than anything else.  Attitude of the authorities is the key here and as some have said no one wants to be viewed at as being guilty simply based on how they look or the color of their skin.

as I suspect Iddee might know Huh it would not be so difficult to make a similar list which would APPEAR like an inditement against white male christian.

sadly most folks (I assume???) don't see the common thread beyond the age/ethnic origin in all the questions Iddee has constructed.  evidently some folks would rather promote fear than come to an understanding of the root of the problem.  invariable the folks that promote fear are more reactionary in their nature than in resolving the problem.  I am not certain why they haven't learned that simply beating up some perceived (and often time manufactured) enemy has never resolved a single problem. 

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 09:14:15 AM »

Tec says: "evidently some folks would rather promote fear than come to an understanding of the root of the problem."

Iddee says: "Some people try to stay alive long enough to take care of the problem."

IE: Some people will kill yellow jackets while pampering honey bees. Both stinging insects, but profiling is used, in IMHO, successfully.

Some of us use the same strategy when dealing with humans.

*Shel Silverstein*
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next