Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 23, 2014, 04:05:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NPR is a joke  (Read 7462 times)
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2010, 06:32:41 AM »

I know some of the posts were about prejudice and racism. And I had mentioned Obama's own prejudice towards me being from Pennsylvania. I guess now I should just forget about the side comments from this unprofessional president who divides and attacks as many people as he can, and just realize like he has openly stated.........that I am his enemy, and he is mine. And after seeing his manners, actions, and words, I could not disagree with him. He is my enemy.

As for PNR radio funding, the parent company that runs both NPR and PBS, get 420 million per year in tax payer money. Not their entire budget, but also not small change. In a country that is trillions in debt, this would be a great place to start cutting.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
tecumseh
House Bee

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2010, 08:18:02 AM »

bjorn writes:
that I am his enemy, and he is mine.

tecumseh:
just a bit wound up on your own self importance or perhaps displaying paranoia tendencies bjorn? 

personally I don't give a single $ to npr... I do give a bottle or two of honey to a local public radio station (very small) which they auction off to raise money.

I suspect the notion that npr is liberal is more in people's minds than in fact. 

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.
beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2010, 09:12:13 AM »

Oh Puhlese.

I agree that NPR was way too reactive in firing Williams, however....

I love how Fox News describes NPR as not practiing what they preach by allowing commentators to express hateful and biased views on the air.  The ONLY examples they site are from 2003 and the mid-nineties.  That's just pathetic.

And Ilove watching you conservatives whine endlessly about the free market and letting NPR survive in a free market.  We've don't have a free market.  And really NEVER have in the last century.

If we did we'd do away with subsidies to big agriculture, and research and licensing subsides to oil companies, and tariffs.  Let's see your precious U.S. market really compete in a free market then.  Our trade imbalance would be crushing.

So don't feed me this crap about competing in the free market and not subsidizing NPR.  I'll listen when we stop subsidizing Exxon with cheap oil & gas licenses, and wal-Mart with favorable trade tariffs.

WE DO NOT HAVE A FREE MARKET

deknow
Field Bee

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2010, 09:21:56 AM »

But it only takes 0.0000001% of the Muslims to blow up one plane down.
.....is there a single case of muslims wearing "muslim garb" blowing up an airplane?  certainly not 9/11, the shoe bomber, or the underwear bomber.  why juan would be nervous about "muslim garb" and presumably not middle easterners wearing western "garb" is beyond me.  if the profile is to be based on historical fact (rather than irrational fear of "different), muslim looking individuals wearing western clothes would be the "red flag".

facts have very little impact on irrational fear...if they did, mothers would be more nervous about putting their child into a car than bringing them on an airplane where there are middle easterners in muslim garb.

deknow
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2010, 09:59:45 AM »

as usual, the libs miss the point.  it's not about free markets.  it's not about Muslim garb.  it's about 1. government money going into any form of media and 2. the constant hypocrisy  of the "open minded " left.

the left does not, and never has, defended constitutional protections.  they manipulate them to advance and agenda.  

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2010, 10:26:33 AM »

Well Kathy,

For some on the list it is about free markets.  Look at the earlier comments in this thread regarding cutting off NPR's funding and having them compete in the market. That's who I was addressing.

And, by the way I LOVE hearing conservatives get all high and mighty about the Constitution.  Where the f$@k were you people when George W Bush was running a war off the books (by funding it with supplemental spending bills so he wouldn't have to justify or account fr it to anyone)?  Tell me that's no a gross overreach of the powers given to the Executive Branch.

Now, because it suits your purpose, or the agenda of the talk radio hosts to whom you bow, you're all constitutionalists.  Give me a break.  Y'all are the ultimate in altering reality to fit your agenda.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2010, 10:37:32 AM »

And, by the way I LOVE hearing conservatives get all high and mighty about the Constitution.  Where the f$@k were you people when George W Bush was running a war off the books (by funding it with supplemental spending bills so he wouldn't have to justify or account fr it to anyone)?  Tell me that's no a gross overreach of the powers given to the Executive Branch.

congress holds the money.  if they didn't to fund it, they didn't have to.  congress belonged to the dems from '07 on.  if they didn't want to fund it, they didn't have to.  it's not like the prez has a big piggy bank on the desk and can just pull money out for wars.

your very liberal congress has been in charge of that funding for the last 4  years!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
deknow
Field Bee

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2010, 11:57:31 AM »

i also don't think npr should be getting govt funding...mostly, i don't think they need it to exist and thrive.  they even have commercials now.

i also think that the jesse jackson quote is an appropriate analogy, but i think we need to put it in context.  if he (or someone of his public focus and influence) had said this for mass media consumption in 1960, it would have set back "the cause" and would have been a totally different action than it was.

I do think that he was closely associated with NPR, and his actions in any venue reflected on them. 
Part of the job of a modern public figure is to not give soundbites like the one Juan did.  If his meaning was that the fear he feels is "unreasonable", then he should have expressed it that way.

in the end, sorros gives npr 1.8million, fox gives williams a 2million contract. the few recent clips i've seen he is pretty angry (and his parting words yesterday after diane rehm wished him well in his new position, he said "I have to get over this", so i suspect he knows he's angry). i've never been a fan (he is no john hockenbery), so i think npr is probably better off without him.  i'm not sure what he will contribute to fox.

deknow
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2010, 01:15:38 PM »

here is what he said

"[P]olitical correctness can lead to some kind of paralysis where you don't address reality. I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous. Now, I remember also that when the Times Square bomber was at court, I think this was just last week. He said the war with Muslims, America's war is just beginning, first drop of blood. I don't think there's any way to get away from these facts.
"But I think there are people who want to somehow remind us all as President Bush did after 9/11, it's not a war against Islam. ... Bill, here's a caution point. The other day in New York, some guy cuts a Muslim cabby's neck and says he's attacking him or you think about the protest at the mosque near Ground Zero ... I don't know what is in that guy's head. But I'm saying, we don't want in America, people to have their rights violated to be attacked on the street because they heard a rhetoric from Bill O'Reilly and they act crazy. We've got to say to people as Bill was saying tonight, that guy is a nut."

very few news outlets showed the entire quote.

there's not much Juan says that i agree with.  he is able to express his liberal points of view without being derogatory or yelling.  it is the liberal point of view, usually in a panel discussion, that JW brings to fox.  i don't know what he'll be doing on fox now,  but i applaud them for  hiring him on.  funny that NPR never saw fit to fire him for expressing his liberal views.......

Alexis de Tocqueville
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »

Wow!  That Juan guy sounds like such a hateful bigot!  Which is so weird from a black guy with a mexican name!! rolleyes

Next thing y'know he's going to be talking the standard Fox talking points about how all gay people should be shot and dismembered.  And how poor people should be left to die and all that hateful Fox stuff.

Rick
beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2010, 02:42:45 PM »

Yeah Kathy, what congressman is going to vote down money for the troops.  They'll look heartless, and Bush/Rove knew that.

So rather than put it in the defense fportiono f the overall federal budget they did it as an add on, so it would stand out more and be even harder for them to say no to.

Stop hiding behind the "dems had Congress from 07" BS.  Bush was working the system for all he was worth.

The choice to keep it out of the official budget was his ENTIRELY.  Saying it was anything else is uninformed revisionism pure and simple.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »

ok. what about this president and this congress?  they didn't even do a budget.  not only that, but obama increased our presence in Afghanistan.  if it was all bush's fault then, who's fault is it now?  

what about all this stimulus crap....what budget was that in?  how about all these czars?  is that money in any budget?  bail out/purchase of car companies and Fannie and Freddie...who are now going to need more money?  what item in the non-existent budget is that?

Alexis de Tocqueville
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »

Kathy, when an intelligent person argues with a fool, sometimes it is hard to tell which is which. It isn't worth wasting breath trying to talk to some.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2010, 05:10:57 PM »

My God, in what alternate universe do you live.

Yes, Obama and this Congress have passed a budget.  The gov't would have ceased to operate if not. I know this because my father worked for the Forest Service and found himself nearly laid off every year during the Reagan years when they couldn't get their act together to pass a budget.  So, yes, Obama and this gov't have passed a budget EVERY year.  to say otherwise is just right wing spew.

We had to go into Afghanistan with something like conviction.  I believe the phrase is "s$@t or get off the pot".  Bush went in half-a$@ed because he was determined to make Iraq and helping out his oil buddies his cause celeb.

And, yes, Afghanistan money was in the Defense appropriation.

Fannie and Freddie have always been federal institutions and as such the money to deal with them comes from a guarantor fund very similar to FDIC.  So that money was already in the budget.

Addmittedly the car bailouts may be extra.  But Obama did account for it in subsequent spending and budget bills, not supplementals.

And the stimulus, like it or not was necessary to keep the economy from imploding, that's pretty much agreed upon by every credible economist.  It may in fact not have been large enough, but something had t be done.  And again, Obama did make a point of accounting for those funds, and without doing it in a way that guilted Congress into approving it.  And plenty of Republicans voted for stimulus funds, just as lots of dems voted for TARP.

It's also quite amusing to watch all of the hypocritical conservatives who railed against the stimulus and are now crying for handouts from it. Pathetic is what that is.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »

Kathy, when an intelligent person argues with a fool, sometimes it is hard to tell which is which. It isn't worth wasting breath trying to talk to some.

wish you'd mentioned that sooner.....going to have to run to the hardware store for a bucket of plaster!

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/104635-dems-wont-pass-budget
BTW, CA did the same thing.

We had to go into Afghanistan with something like conviction.  I believe the phrase is "s$@t or get off the pot".  Bush went in half-a$@ed because he was determined to make Iraq and helping out his oil buddies his cause celeb.

we did. the problem is that we stayed to do "nation building"  which, if you have read any of my posts, you know i don't agree with.  that whole oil and iraq thing is a pretty stupid argument.  however, there is a good argument for iraq and i didn't see it until after we were there.  i won't bore you with details since i doubt you'd absorb  them, but iraq has the potential to have been a pretty brilliant move.

F&F are broke, have been bailed out once and are probably going to need it again.  

And the stimulus, like it or not was necessary to keep the economy from imploding, that's pretty much agreed upon by every credible economist.

same argument made by FDR.  later studies have shown that his programs made the depression deeper and last longer.  only good thing we got out of that were some nifty buildings.  we won't even get that out of this waste.  in fact, a good many economists are against government stimulus.  the government can only borrow, print, or take money from others to "stimulate".
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/off-the-bandwagon-economists-against-big-fiscal-stimulus/

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/FDR-s-Policies-Prolonged-Depression-5409.aspx

i don't identify myself as a republican.  i am a conservative, leaning toward libertarian in many things.  there are plenty of nutty libs in the republican party.  i hope a few less, soon.

Alexis de Tocqueville
bulldog
House Bee

« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2010, 07:15:47 PM »

ok, wth is npr anyway ?

Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2010, 07:34:09 PM »

ok, wth is npr anyway ?

National Public Radio   http://www.npr.org/
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2010, 08:45:38 PM »

ok, wth is npr anyway ?
NOT Public Relations!! grin

Rick
tecumseh
House Bee

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2010, 09:55:53 PM »

someone writes:
i won't bore you with details since i doubt you'd absorb  them, but iraq has the potential to have been a pretty brilliant move.

tecumseh:
sounds a bit elitist to me... but then again who is counting coup.

someone writes:
that whole oil and iraq thing is a pretty stupid argument.

tecumseh:
I must guess some one missed the Dick Cheney sales pitch for the Iraq War where he stated that they would get the Iraq'ys to pay for the war.  Where oh where did you think that money would come from?  I might also guess some folks missed how the american approval rating of the war went quickly south when Clayton Powell informed folks that China Store rules applied... you break it, you fix it.  which quickly came to be understood that you the tax payer would bear the cost of the war.

Might I also guess you also missed the run up in $ of Dick Cheney stock portfolio in Haliburton stock as the war started up and progressed?  Billion dollar no bid government contract sure can make a stock value soar.

my bro iddee writes:
Kathy, when an intelligent person argues with a fool, sometimes it is hard to tell which is which.

tecumseh:
uh huh.  nicely said iddee and as always wise word to consider and of course the exact meaning of the phrased may be blurred beyond recognition. 

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »

someone writes:
i won't bore you with details since i doubt you'd absorb  them, but Iraq has the potential to have been a pretty brilliant move.

based on previous conversations, it was a reasonable assumption.  if you want to know how i feel about Iraq, it was posted earlier.  i'm sure you can find it.

tecumseh:
I must guess some one missed the Dick Cheney sales pitch for the Iraq War where he stated that they would get the Iraq'ys to pay for the war.  Where oh where did you think that money would come from?  I might also guess some folks missed how the american approval rating of the war went quickly south when Clayton Powell informed folks that China Store rules applied... you break it, you fix it.  which quickly came to be understood that you the tax payer would bear the cost of the war.

saying that Iraq would pay, which they did not, is not the same as going to war for oil, as was the liberal assertion.  as for public opinion, many of us were against it.  as i said, i did not come to my current opinion until after we'd gone in.

Halliburton stock always goes up with action.  they get the military contracts because they are about the only company that can provide the needed services.  these were things that the military used to do for itself, but with the cuts in the military, they contract for services.  halliburton had no bid contracts under Clinton also.

i'll let iddee clarify  his own statement if he wishes.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next