Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 10:52:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NPR is a joke  (Read 6868 times)
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2010, 01:13:28 PM »

Although he WAS also expressing a fundamentally racist/xenophobic opinion. Granted that is standard and commonplace for Fox, but goes against the fundamentals of our Constitution. Personally I don't want any opinions coming from "journalists", just the facts please.

Yeah, NPR never allows any opinions that are fundamentally racist/xenophobic this way or any other way.  They are meticulous about keeping to facts, and they make real sure not to let their opinions out.  Strictly to the facts, yessiree!

Even the president of CAIR said that NPR is a liberal/left organization.  But he was satisfied.

PS. I'm conservative and listen to a LOT of NPR.  Or did.

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »

Although he WAS also expressing a fundamentally racist/xenophobic opinion. Granted that is standard and commonplace for Fox, but goes against the fundamentals of our Constitution. Personally I don't want any opinions coming from "journalists", just the facts please

except that he was on an opinion show and was asked his opinion.  what  he said, and i have to assume you have not heard the entire piece, was in no way racist.  it was an honest expression of what many of us feel, and probably should feel.  there are times that i am required to travel.  if i get on a plane with 3 Buddhist monks and 3 Arab looking guys, it's not the Buddhist monks that are going to catch my attention. that is neither xenophobic, nor is it racist it is part of my training to be aware of my surroundings and it is common sense. when Buddhist monks start expressing a hatred for this country and start blowing things up, i'll pay attention to them also.

how much of fox news do you watch to have formed such a warped opinion of their content?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
bigbearomaha
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2010, 02:17:09 PM »

I can't say much for NPR,  I don't pay that much attention to it.  I do know that PBS is a lot more than just news and politics.

I don't think PBS has been entirely corrupted or "useless", only the news and politics shows.

I do find a lot of value in PBS television the educational and informative shows that myself and many others find useful every day.

To me getting rid of PBS is essentially throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

I think that parts of PBS need to be corrected (news and political shows), put straight, however you want to put it.  But  I do not think it needs to be eliminated.

Big Bear
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2010, 02:27:48 PM »

Would that be in the same way as not everybody needs to be kicked out of congress?

I never watch PBS. Don't even know where it is on the dial. When all we got was antenna TV I don't think we got PBS. Just a couple of local stations and then three. Then cable.  I dunno

Now Satellite TV  pink elephant 

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »

i don't think anyone is advocating getting rid of PBS or NPR.  just taking away public money.  if there are enough people who value their programing, they will survive.  if not, they won't.  that's the way markets work.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cascadebee
House Bee

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »

Although he WAS also expressing a fundamentally racist/xenophobic opinion. Granted that is standard and commonplace for Fox, but goes against the fundamentals of our Constitution. Personally I don't want any opinions coming from "journalists", just the facts please

except that he was on an opinion show and was asked his opinion.  what  he said, and i have to assume you have not heard the entire piece, was in no way racist.  it was an honest expression of what many of us feel, and probably should feel.  there are times that i am required to travel.  if i get on a plane with 3 Buddhist monks and 3 Arab looking guys, it's not the Buddhist monks that are going to catch my attention. that is neither xenophobic, nor is it racist it is part of my training to be aware of my surroundings and it is common sense. when Buddhist monks start expressing a hatred for this country and start blowing things up, i'll pay attention to them also.

how much of fox news do you watch to have formed such a warped opinion of their content?

Actually Kathy that is called racial profiling.  You have no legitimate reason to pick out muslims on the plane, they went through the exact same TSA BS you did to get there.  

If JW had said when I see Christians on planes I get nervous Fox would be angry.  There are just as many Christian whackos as there are Muslims, perhaps more.

I don't watch Fox.  I don't watch any TV news.  And yes I first heard of 9/11 on NPR when I was in the bush in Alaska. Why? Because it was the only media I had access to.

indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2010, 02:56:09 PM »

Actually Kathy that is called racial profiling.  
And this wasn't?:
"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage of my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery -- then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved."
Rev. Jesse Jackson, speaking at the PUSH convention in 1993

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2010, 02:58:38 PM »

it is called racial profiling.  it is a legitimate tool, among others, to identify those who may need a closer look.  as i flew out of england a couple of years ago, several Muslim looking men were pulled aside in the waiting area and interviewed by security.  they, too, had gone through the screening process.  

There are just as many Christian whackos as there are Muslims, perhaps more.

really, give me a few examples of Christians preaching that Jews should be wiped off the face of the earth, America is evil and should be destroyed....and Christians who are acting on that teaching.  yes, there are individuals who are nut cases and do bad things, but it is not a tenet of Christianity to go about blowing things up and killing those who do not convert.  it is a tenet of Islam. there are those Muslims who disagree with these teachings, but if you look at Muslims around the world, they are the minority.  it is only in this country that the moderate Muslims might be a majority.  Islam has been a violent religion since it's inception.  historical, peace is only extended to those who convert or are enslaved.

i feel the same way about Christian as i do about Buddhists.  when Christians are blowing things up, i'll worry about them.

we do have moderate Muslims in this country and they deserve our support.  in return, we deserve their voice.  if they want to be Americans, they need to stand up and be counted.  

forgot to ask....if you don't watch TV, by what means did you form your opinion of Fox News?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 03:12:29 PM by kathyp » Logged

Alexis de Tocqueville
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2010, 04:07:59 PM »

I totally agree. I was hyper conscious of Muslim-appearing people when flying only months after 9/11 with my 2 small kids. However, it's a stereotype I will work on ignoring, as 99.99999% of Muslims don't try to blow up our airplanes.

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »

But it only takes 0.0000001% of the Muslims to blow up one plane down.
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »

I guess I'm more of a statistical person. I could be terrified of lightning, but I'm more likely to die from overeating on cheeseburgers. So, right after 9/11 I was definitely hypervigilant since that HAD just happened. These days, though, I think I would be paying more attention to everybody. I actually haven't flown since that one time immediately after 9/11.

As for airport security equally scanning everyone, that is not as comforting as it is supposed to be. Seems to me the last few attempts were caught by passengers, ON the plane.

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »

ohhhh, you just fussed at someone for throwing unsubstantiated numbers around!!  were did you come up with 99.99%?  and yes....i have been waiting to get back at you!   grin

but, lets take your number. if there are 1.8 billion Muslims,  that leaves 1,799,820.00 who do.  please check my math because my math skill are right up there with my spelling skills.

i have heard from both Muslim and non-Muslim analysts that the % of Muslims who embrace terrorism as a way to bring about their goals,  is between 3 and 15%.  the higher number came from a Muslim source.  that does not count those who are giving support, both moral and financial.  it does not take into account the state sponsors of terrorism like Iran or the Muslim countries that embrace radical beliefs as a form of government- Iran, SA, Syria, etc.

the biggest problem we have in mentally dealing with this is to not understand that Islam is not only a religion.  it is a form of government.  to follow the teachings, you must embrace both.  to be "moderate" you must reject part of you belief system.

Alexis de Tocqueville
bigbearomaha
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2010, 04:52:21 PM »

I'm saying  I think that it is not unreasonable to use federal money to invest in the informing and educating of the American public.

Am I suggesting that they be entirely funded by the gov't? No I am not.  I think that even the rough 3% investment that comes from the gov't at this time is "worth it" in the long run.

personally, with all the nonsense and crap that public money is used for, and diverted from other programs it was originally intended for, providing educational and informational opportunities such as PBS are one of the best things the gov't can do.  it is an investment in the people in terms of having an educated and informed public.

This is my last post,  I know we disagree on this, but that's ok. 

it's not the end of the world.

I'll leave that to the fearmongers and powerfreaks who can't tolerate anything outside of their own beliefs.

Big Bear
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2010, 11:03:44 PM »

Let's see...how many muslims either blew up random planes and railway stations or were arrested for plotting to? 

Ok, now how many Christians or non-muslims either blew up random planes and railway stations or were arrested for plotting to?

A. Many

B. Very few.

I think that the profile was created for us.  Now we're flinching at THEIR shadows.

When those things stop, when muslims are no longer arrested plotting for those things, when they stop jihad against the west, then we'll stop flinching at their shadows.  Till then?  If it looks like a terrorist, walks like a terrorist, talks like a terrorist....

Only a moron wouldn't feel fear when on a plane and several young mid-easterners were talking suspiciously togather.  History and all, y'know.

Rick
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2010, 06:55:48 AM »

Is this what we want for our nation? So much for assimilation!
NTEB: Minnesota Under Attack From Sharia Law
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2010, 07:04:58 AM »

I wonder how the public will react to a lady getting stoned for talking to someone other than a family member or a child loosing a hand for stealing something?
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »

Actually Kathy that is called racial profiling.  You have no legitimate reason to pick out muslims on the plane, they went through the exact same TSA BS you did to get there.  

If JW had said when I see Christians on planes I get nervous Fox would be pee'd.  There are just as many Christian whackos as there are Muslims, perhaps more.

I don't watch Fox.  I don't watch any TV news.  And yes I first heard of 9/11 on NPR when I was in the bush in Alaska. Why? Because it was the only media I had access to.

I'm betting that NPR doesn't cover "taqiyya" or "abrogation" I was in the crowd who initially stepped up and said it was only a few muslims, a tiny handful. I told people not to be so ignorant; and in the interest of not being ignorant myself I did some research. countries who enjoy religious freedom encounter more and more violence as muslim populations increase as a percentage; they protest words and art spoken by free people and back their protests with riots and violence. when the population is still less than a majority they begin to tighten control over speech and especially any questioning or criticism offered by 'unbelievers' - with riots and violence. CAIR is a huge one to say one thing to us in english and something else entirely to the muslim world through al jezeera in arabic. Please don't dismiss what I'm saying as one guy off on a spin out of religious paranoia; search especially the two terms I presented first; taquiyya and abrogation - then search "violence by muslim population"  profiling may become a necessity to preserve America's freedom under the constitution. We keep saying that America is not at war with Islam, but with Al Quaeida; sorry - but I think Islam has been at war with us for a long time.

be happy and make others happy.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2010, 02:00:54 PM »

I don't think people know the difference between prejudice and racism.

Williams was telling the truth of probably the vast majority of what other people think when they board a plane and a couple twenty something aged Muslim dressed men sit down across the aisle. I know I look twice.

Willaims went on to comment about the need to not infringe upon anyone's right, etc.

We are all prejudice. Or at least anyone willing to be honest with themselves. You may not be racist. But you are prejudice. And I have never met a person who was not.

Of course, as the president stated upon his "prejudice" viewpoint...."I'm just a Pennsylvanian clinging to my guns and religion".  Wink

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2010, 02:14:41 PM »

Bee Happy, i was the same way.  i have worked with Muslims from other military services when we did exchanges.  never had a problem and never gave it much thought.  i assumed that all Muslims where like those i met.  it  never occurred to me that those i met might not be what they seemed, or that they might be the exception.

i remember in the '80s sitting out in the dirt getting a security briefing and we were talking about the coming threats.  almost all of them were from the middle east.  we knew then, but we did not comprehend the scope of it all. 

even with the background i have, i did not really begin to do my homework on Islam until after 9/11.  i wanted to believe that terrorist acts were done by a few nuts and those nuts did not represent the majority of Muslims.  the more i learned, the more i learned that i was wrong.  America is the exception not to have had a problem with our Muslim population.  that has changed.  we now head the way of Europe and Asia with a large internal Muslim population that is not assimilating,  and is grounds for terrorist recruiters.  this is where the American Muslim population must stand and police it's own. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2010, 08:59:52 PM »

You are so right about how Muslim people do not assimilate into other cultures.   Tearing Europe into pieces.    Look what  is happening here in the US.  Target will let cashiers decide if they want to check out someone buying bacon.   Taxi drivers will not carry passengers (the discriminate) and all this is based on their law and culture.   Just venting.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next