Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 08:15:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NPR is a joke  (Read 6953 times)
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 08:25:22 PM »

Just how much government money goes to NPR?   I know the local station we listen to it here is run my a local school system (government money).  But I do like some of their stories as a buffer before I turn on the talk radio at 9 AM.
Very little.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....I hear that same "just a sliver" from those who deny that the U.S. funds about 70% or more of the annual budget at the U.N.  rolleyes

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 08:41:11 PM »

it is in the nations best interests at the very least for security or emergency to have a means of informing and notifying the public of what is going on and what steps are being taken to address this.

So what is the main stream media for?  You think if there is a legitimate disaster or security threat the government can't get all the air time it wants on the channels most people watch regularly anyway?
And there are emergency broadcast channels at the governments disposal (don't you hear them being tested occasionally). 
The idea that the government needs its "own" channel to communicate to the public would probably have our founding fathers scratching their head, say what?Huh?

linda d
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »

just another quick thought on the Williams/NPR thing.  they originally said that an annalist should not be expressing opinion (paraphrased).  Juan has often expressed liberal points of view.  he was never fired for that.  it was not until he uttered a non-PC thought and CAIR objected, that he was fired.  if you had doubts about what NPR is all about, this action for these reason, should clear things up.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
bigbearomaha
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 09:04:36 PM »

well, it's a wonderful thing this is a free country to allow such diversity in opinions, isn't it.

Some people see it as an investment, others see it as a waste.

one person sees it as a liberal mouthpiece, someone else doesn't even pay attention to the politics of it and sees the educational programming instead.

what a great country.

Big Bear
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »

GOD bless us, one and all!

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 09:10:31 PM »

it is a great country.  you seem to be missing the point, but that's ok  grin

oh well, Soros will keep NPR going for you even if the govt pulls funding.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 09:22:31 PM »

Why would the government pull funding?   With state run media, they have their foot in the door for running other national "projects" like banks ,cars, and insurance companies.
bigbearomaha
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »

I may not agree with your point, but that's ok.

I see my point which is what  i think public television, etc was intended to do, not necessarily what is has been bastardized to become.

in terms of reporting and politics anyway.

Big Bear

indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 06:21:29 AM »

oh well, Soros will keep NPR going for you even if the govt pulls funding.
Maybe not - Just ask Air America.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 06:55:49 AM »

I see my point which is what  i think public television, etc was intended to do, not necessarily what is has been bastardized to become.

Big Bear

Everything has it's place and time. NPR may of been for a worthy cause at one time, and had a place in society.

But it sounds as if you acknowledge that it has...as you say, been bastardized. And so things do change over time. And ultimately, when there original use and intended service is no longer needed, no longer serves a noble purpose for taxing funds, or has been replaced by a better serving avenue, you get rid of the thing that has been bastardized.

I don't think anyone can argue the intended purpose. I also don't think people can honestly say that it has not become a far left leaning political tool, using public funds, and not needed anymore.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 07:09:23 AM »

Government influenced TV,can you say PRAVDA. The current proprietors of our capitol,not really the citizens at this point,have made it known that they would like to silence the opposition.Fortunately that page of the Constitution hasn't been used to wipe someones rear end,....... yet!
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010, 08:03:23 AM »

Don't fool yourself....he wasn't fired for his last statement.  He was fired for taking money from Fox News, as everybody knows they aren't a news outlet, only a mouthpiece for the right wing radicals.  He accepted dirty money.

Mara Liasson is next.

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »

that's no joke.  there have been calls for her to be fired.  the timing is interesting.  after the Soros money the heads roll.  he bought into Huff also.  with all the media out there, it's funny that one cable channel makes the left crazy and causes Soros to buy millions of dollars worth of "journalists" to counter Fox.

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010, 09:44:21 AM »

Maybe NPR is looking to free up some money by getting rid of a few?  With funding looking dim?
Cascadebee
House Bee

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 11:53:56 AM »

Don't fool yourself....he wasn't fired for his last statement.  He was fired for taking money from Fox News, as everybody knows they aren't a news outlet, only a mouthpiece for the right wing radicals.  He accepted dirty money.

Mara Liasson is next.

Although he WAS also expressing a fundamentally racist/xenophobic opinion. Granted that is standard and commonplace for Fox, but goes against the fundamentals of our Constitution. Personally I don't want any opinions coming from "journalists", just the facts please.

AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 12:01:26 PM »

luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 12:45:30 PM »

From: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101022/ap_on_en_tv/us_npr_analyst_fired

"Federal grants provide less than 2 percent — or $3.3 million — of NPR's $166 million annual budget. It is funded primarily by its affiliates, corporate sponsors and major donors."

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010, 12:52:15 PM »

and apparently "stimulus" money.

here is my theory:  Soros wants an alternative to Fox news.  NPR is respected by much of the public.  If he can get govt funding out of NPR and he supports them (buys reporters, etc) he has a ready made network for his message.  he's also bought into the Huff, which has a large following and is widely read on the internet so it reached those who get their info that way. 
Soros didn't start shooting money to these outlets by accident.  everything he does is aimed at manipulating thing to 1. make money and 2. re-create the world in the way he has long wished it to be.  he's a nasty little sociopath, but he's a very smart nasty little sociopath.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010, 01:06:34 PM »

This morning on my local public radio, they're in drive week. rolleyes

One of the adverts is a british journalist talking about how wonderful local broadcasting is here and it is all locally voluntarily funded and how in Britain it is a mandatory fee that everybody pays and they go to jail if they don't pay their public radio fee.

My first thought: just try it here #$&@*#'s!!  rolleyes

Rick
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »

2% doesn't sound like much, but 3.3 million sure does.  Maybe we could cut out our governments funding of it and just let China fund them direct, after all, that is where the 3 million came from to start with.   It shouldn't take that many corporations to fund that 2%.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next