Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 01, 2014, 05:54:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Samaritan's Purse Honey Bees  (Read 1569 times)
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« on: October 12, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »

In today's mail I got both the World Vision and the Samaritan's Purse Gift Catalogs.   I was really surprised that bees were offered in the Samaritan's Purse this year. For $35 they would set someone up in the 3rd world with bees.   I thought that was pretty cool.   They both have everything else, bout time. 
vmmartin
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:17:01 PM »

That is pretty cool. We have done the shoeboxes with them for years now. Great organization.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 09:41:09 PM »

my parents and family in CA have been doing it for years.  they fill a school auditorium with the shoe boxes.  this year my mom went to the Philippines to meet one of the kids that got a box from her. they have kept in touch for years and my mom sends them little things when she can.  it's quite a program.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
vmmartin
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:00:48 PM »

A couple of years ago we did get an email from one of the missionaries in Africa that had been in the village that one of our boxes went to. He sent us some pics and info on the little girl that got our box. Amazing what just a few dollars can accomplish.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:04:29 PM »

I always just thought they did the shoe boxes until the 500 year flood came through this area.   They sent in trailer loads of good for the flood people and then set up volunteers to rebuild the homes.   I am very impressed with what they do.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:42:11 PM »

there are a lot of organizations that do that and most people don't know.  the southern baptists have a huge operation.  they do the kitchens for red cross and they have crews that do tree cutting and cleanup after disasters.  the methodist do also.  salvation army has a great disaster response operation.

it's amazing how many people turn out to do stuff and no one makes them!....or taxes folks to make it happen.  evil

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 06:55:54 AM »

Very cool. I've donated bees thru Heifer International a few times. Nice to see other organizations doing it as well.
tecumseh
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 08:36:59 AM »

Heifer International is my charity of choice.  It also make deciding what to tell someone to buy you for this or that occasion so much easier.

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »

thought you guys might like this

Samaritan's Purse - Boy Celebrates Operation Christmas Child Gift

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next