Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 22, 2014, 06:58:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Empty supers  (Read 456 times)
winginit
House Bee

« on: October 12, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »

I am leaving town Friday for 9 days. Night time temperatures are supposed to drop to the thirties while I'm gone. We've had a great fall flow and temperatures 20 degrees above normal, which I hope saved my hives. Both were bone dry a month ago in spite of constant feeding. But now we're supposed to be getting highs around 60-70. So maybe one more week of nectar gathering for the bees around here.

One of my hives has a deep full of honey and bees, with an empty medium above. The bees are finally just starting to draw the comb in the medium above. I don't think they'll get much done and capped (but I'd love to be wrong). Should I remove the medium before I leave, or will they be warm enough for now and if it doesn't fill, I can just remove it later?

My other hive has one small full of bees and nectar, not too much capped honey yet. It has a second small that is fully drawn but only 1/3 to 1/2 full of honey, very little capped yet. I just moved that small to the top. For its size, this hive seems to have a lot of egss and larvae. It had a lot of capped brood last week, but that's hatched and been replaced by eggs. Will this be enough to survive? I will feed in winter, either dry sugar or hard candy.
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 06:52:46 AM »

Should I remove the medium before I leave, or will they be warm enough for now and if it doesn't fill, I can just remove it later?
I'd leave it. As you noted, it's been a warm October, and my bees are still very active and working the goldenrod and asters.

My other hive .... Will this be enough to survive? I will feed in winter, either dry sugar or hard candy.
Hard to predict. Last winter I had two strong colonies die, one with plenty of stores remaining, while a dinky hive from a late-summer swarm survived.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next