Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 23, 2014, 12:48:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slatted Bottom Board Question  (Read 1877 times)
rottybee
New Bee

« on: February 28, 2010, 09:59:29 AM »

I am gonna build a couple of slatted bottom boards and looking over the plans, I see there is one wide slat and then a bunch of narrow slats.  My question is this:  If this sits between the bottom board and the first hive body, why would you want the wide slat?  Seems like all the slats should be narrow.  I don't think I can post a link so the plans can be found at beesource.com.  I'm gonna sign off for now but I'll check back later for answers.
Thanks as always!
rottybee
New Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 04:18:06 PM »

well, just checkin' back in and don't see any replies.  Surely someone has to have a reply. 
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 04:51:11 PM »

The wide slat sits toward the open end of the bottom board. It is there to prevent drafts at the entrance ,therefore encouraging the queen to lay all the way to the front of the lower frames.
rottybee
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 05:49:09 PM »

The wide slat sits toward the open end of the bottom board. It is there to prevent drafts at the entrance ,therefore encouraging the queen to lay all the way to the front of the lower frames.

OK, I can see that.  I was just curious.  My table saw is hot and waiting to finish this thing and I couldn't see the logic in it.  Thanks as always. 
PS.....More questions to come.... grin
ccar2000
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:43:34 PM »

I also believe the wide slat near the front creates a sense of security as well. The queen does not have to worry about herself or her brood getting snatched up by an intruder that close to the entrance. I am using a parallel slatted rack from Betterbee you can find it in their on-line catalog (sorry, I do not yet have enough posting history to give the link) For me the brood nest was filled right to the bottom and end to end on the middle frames.

It is what it is
BGhoney
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 03:25:38 PM »

Supposed to reduce robbing the intruders have to go way into the hive to get honey, not just duck under the lip of the brood box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next