Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Maybe a little robbing going on  (Read 770 times)

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
Maybe a little robbing going on
« on: September 28, 2010, 12:20:53 AM »
Pictures of my hive and queen castle It looks like my larger hive is getting robbed. what are your thoughts?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Maybe a little robbing going on
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 09:25:27 AM »
this is not robbing.   actually unless it was cold when you took these pics there is not much activity

Offline longrangedog

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:01:32 PM »
I get suspicous whenever I see bees trying to get in through cracks and under tops. Other than that your pictures don't show the volume of bees (100's) you see in most robbing situations. This is the time of year for robbing.

Online buzzbee

• Ken
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »
Many times when bees appear to be trying to get under tops and through cracks,they may be trying to proplize those holes to keep weather out.

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 08:27:53 PM »
Yes BuzzBee noticed my bees loitering around a super that wasn't the most tight fitting due to age. Later seen bees had plugged up gaps w/ propolis.

I temporarily get orientation flight bees mixed up w/ robbers but seems robbers are more frantic & nervous & also tell tale numerous dead bees under hives can speak to the robbing situation at hand. Sometimes moving a hive to an apiary w/ less hive density will keep robbing under control, but also some hives aren't that fit to survive when survival of the fittest during times of dearth are in full swing. That's natures way.
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 03:37:06 AM »
thanks for the reply's, yes them flying through the cracks on the top and landing on the face is what got me suspicious too