Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 22, 2014, 12:10:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blueberry Pollination  (Read 724 times)
vmmartin
House Bee

« on: September 27, 2010, 10:56:35 PM »

I am first year beek in SE Texas. I have a few friends with blueberry farms. I am looking for any information about pollination of blueberries.
sloshire1
New Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 12:44:37 AM »

Can you give us some more details please?  How big of a crop are you planting?  This will dictate how many hives you need.

Checkout this great beekeeping guide, it has helped me solve a lot of problems with my hive.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:05:10 PM »

Number of hives required
The number of honey bee hives required to pollinate blueberry crops varies considerably. According to the plant variety and pollination requirements, hive density in blueberry crops varies between 1.25 and 5 hives per hectare.
Hives are introduced at 5% flowering and remain until petals begin to drop. A general guide to honey bee population numbers in the crop is 2 bees per metre of row is considered satisfactory.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/84410/pf157-honeybee-pollination-of-blueberries.pdf
vmmartin
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 09:14:15 PM »

One farm is about 7 acres with approximately 11,000 plants. All are second year plants, about knee high. I have heard a few other bee keepers mention that bees can do a lot of work and not get much out of it. Like something about the shape of the bloom is not very bee friendly. Does any of that make any sense to y'all?
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »

You are not going to need much pollination for 2 year old plants.   Remember bees will hot 2 million flowers on average to make just 1 pound of honey.    You make your money by just putting the bees there for them.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next