Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 18, 2014, 08:26:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Kind of Bee is this?  (Read 2285 times)
winginit
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »

I'm with Kathy. Had one get under my nightgown when I was four years old.

I wish I could find the nest near my beehive and kill it. They keep trying to get into the hive, so far to no avail. Also have some hummingbird feeders full of dead yellowjackets.

If you want to make beekeepers real happy, blow it to smithereens and film it. (But be safe of course, we would be most UNhappy if you got hurt.)
greenbtree
Field Bee

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 03:39:50 PM »

There is never a handy skunk around when you need one.  They will dig up and eat yellow jacket nests, adults, larva and all.  The same way they go after our bees...

I leave paper wasps alone as long as they leave me alone - I have a shed they love and I can usually go in there to get tools without them coming after me.  Although it is kinds of creepy watching all the adults turn their heads to watch my progress.  I leave them because the paper wasps eat a lot of flies.

Yellow jackets however...  They have to go.  They are just plain mean!  Especially this time of year.  My husband and new puppy just got all stung up the other day while on a walk.  He saved one of the offenders for me to I.D. luckily, so I could assure him that "my girls" were not to blame.

JC

"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"
Two Bees
Field Bee

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 10:41:16 AM »

WHOA!!!  Hold on here!

What will the Georgia Tech student body think if we just go around killin' yellow jackets!   grin

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.
philinacoma
House Bee

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »

Save the spray and wait until night and gas them.  Cheaper.   Just a cup of gas will work.  Or a bucket of soapy water also if you are worried about the gas.  Go out there and soak them good.

Excuse my question but, when you say 'gas' do you 'gasoline' or an actual gas? If it is gasoline, then we don't stop at just a cap full.  evil  Use the whole jerry can!!!  evil
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 07:12:52 PM »

Up here it's just gas.  But you can call it gasoline or petrol.   But that stuff cost too much to use the whole can now.   Wink
And with yellowjackets underground, just a little gas will work.   Fumes are denser than air. 
philinacoma
House Bee

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 07:15:03 PM »

embarassed oops, I forgot the step where you light it.   evil  evil
(I hate them)
OzBuzz
Queen Bee

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »

Yellow Jackets or, here in Australia, we call European Wasps are the most foul creature ever given wings! they look evil! they fly like they're evil - they're just plain evil! kill em! kill em all! and i'm with Phil! a whole can and then light it! i can't begin to describe how much i dislike these insects! and i have never been stung by one! they're just evil!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next