Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flow Hives  (Read 139 times)

Offline RobboWA

• New Bee
Flow Hives
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:39:44 AM »
Hi Team,

Just curious on how the flow hives are going? They have been in service for a while now, is the maintenance high on them, are they holding up wear and tear wise?

Cheers,
Clint

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
Re: Flow Hives
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 12:39:52 PM »
I have one. I moved a 2 medium super hive into one. They just started to work in the honey section and then they super swarmed (swarmed 3 times) and moved back out of the honey super. I had to reduce the hive to a single medium and add a soft ball size of bees that were bearding up outside of my observation hive. As part of adding the ball of bees, I moved them to a friends yard, 10 miles away.
I just brought them home last night and I will be inspecting them tomorrow and hopefully they are ready for another brood box. I was given this hive by someone who could not get them to work the flow box.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 05:42:01 PM »
Jim, wouldn't this be a bad time of the year for you to use the flow frames?  It is my understanding that they need a heavy flow.  I have heard in light flows they jam the mechanism up with propolise.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:34:26 AM »
This is our flow.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:53:02 AM »
I thought your main flow was in March and April.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline esttile

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:57:47 AM »
Clint,  Jims in USA , he comments reg on this site & sometimes it throws us here in Aus, I'm in Mandurah & because of the poor flow this year I left the flow in the shed & used the conventional 8fr WSP. Ciao Tony

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:26:02 PM »
I thought your main flow was in March and April.
My flow this year started in March and will hopefully run through September. I do get a few dry weeks during the summer.
Jim

anything