Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 24, 2014, 05:45:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queenless and a TOBAN  (Read 202 times)
Rmcpb
New Bee

« on: November 23, 2014, 03:54:25 AM »

Found a hive today that looks queenless. Was doing a quick check of some bush hives without smoke because of the fireban and only a veil because that's all I had with me. The SHB had already moved in so it was time to consolidate the hive. They were not happy was an understatement.

Made for an interesting morning........

Cheers
Rob
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:02:38 AM »

Were they real noisy when you opened the lid? A hive full of SHB is a good indicator of a queenless hive.
Are you saying that you are not allowed to light your smoker because of a fire ban?
That sounds extreme.
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
Rmcpb
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »

They were noisy Jim but I think the hive I got the brood out of were worse. As for lighting a smoker, a TOBAN is a total fire ban and you can't light any fire in the open at all. Really bad conditions here for bushfires at present.

Cheers
Rob.
Culley
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 09:13:59 PM »

How bad are the SHB down there? I assume you know what you're doing. I lost most of our hives to SHB when the beetles arrived, and when I was learning.

I have read people on natural beekeeping forums and blogs talk about spraying the bees with sugar-water instead of using smoke. I've not tried it, but I have sometimes deliberately dripped nectar from a frame all over the top bars, to calm the bees. They come up and clean it up and it distracts them. Sugar-water in a spray bottle might be worth a try in a total fire ban  Smiley
Rmcpb
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:05:27 AM »

Culley,

The beetles come and go and are generally worse in about February with the heat and humidity. I find if my hives are really strong they tend to be able to handle the beetles as well. This time of year I generally only find one or two in the odd hive but the queenless one had quite a few already, they really move in on a weakened hive.

Tried the water spray once, note once, and found it less than successful. Didn't expect to do anything more than just pop the tops the other day hence just the old veil.

Cheers
Rob.
Jedda
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:12:30 AM »

Hate to say it, but you could have used your smoker if you needed to as they are exempt from TOBANs in NSW. You can read for yourself here RFS total fire ban rules, and you can check the current legislation in the gazettes. Look for schedule 10 "bee hive smokers" for the current regulations found here; NSW legislation gazettes. Gazette 114 is the most current one and includes schedule 10. These schedules are rarely changed so you just need to check the rfs site during TOBANs to make sure nothing has changed in regards to the exemptions.
Rmcpb
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:59:28 PM »

Now you tell me Jedda  Wink but I still would not have used it. Too much dry grass and bush. Imagine if you started a fire when lighting it. Explain that one.

Still it makes for a good story.......

Cheers
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next