Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 08:39:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Screw the Republican establishment!  (Read 5195 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 09:48:37 PM »

well said.  if you look at many of them, they have never done anything else.  the idea of the real world probably scares them.  i hope we have put the fear of God into those that will stay and that we will give the boot to the rest of them.

i have to say that i was extremely disappointed in AZ.  that's the one brown spot on my apple for now.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 06:32:35 AM »

"In New York, the third-most-populous state, the Republican primary for governor pits Carl Paladino, 64, a Buffalo real estate developer and Tea Party favorite, against Rick Lazio, 52, a former four-term congressman from Long Island. The winner meets Democrat state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, 52, in November."-Newsmax
What do you all think of Carl Paladino?  Do you think he is good, he promised twice that he would work 4 years then leave and never come back.  He said he will bring a big stick to Albany and fix the corruption.  Sound good, not sure though.

tecumseh
House Bee

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 07:23:43 AM »

I do absolutely hope the TEA party elects a few members to congress.  I think it would make for an excellent contrast to see a few very naive and somewhat nutty folks running around the hall of congress making everyone else look so moderate. 

After listing to two TEA party leaders on NPR yesterday I suspect there capacity to be a major player is about zero.  Some folks will use it no doubt to make a few $ and have their 15 minutes of fame without a doubt.  Today NPR will supposedly tell us where their money comes from.... big surprise there I would guess. 

I do hate to break the 'bad' news to folks, but pure ideology never works for very long in the real world.  You might wish to read a bit of Eric Hoffer's The True Believer to gain some insight into how these kind of things do or do not work in the real world. 

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.
bigbearomaha
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 07:35:19 AM »

I'd rather have "naive" people in congress than the scheming, lying two faced dogs we have in there today.

even if they are naive lying, scheming dogs, we don't really expect much different, but we should be able to catch them easier if they are naive.

Big Bear
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 07:44:59 AM »

While I understand the nature of politics and trying to appeal to a broad spectrum of voters, I got tired of voting for the lesser of two evils. It seemed like every election cycle I ended up voting for someone I didn't like only because I couldn't stand the idea of the opposing candidate being elected.

While some may say I'm wasting my vote, I now find myself often voting for 3rd party candidates. I feel better voting for a candidate I believe in as opposed to holding my nose and voting for Candidate "A" just to keep Candidate "B" else out of office.
Vibe
House Bee

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 10:42:36 AM »

While some may say I'm wasting my vote, I now find myself often voting for 3rd party candidates. I feel better voting for a candidate I believe in as opposed to holding my nose and voting for Candidate "a" just to keep Candidate "B" else out of office.
   The problem in the past has been that there were no 3rd party candidates - only 7th,8th and 9th party candidates. The TEA Party is as close as we've come to having a "United" resistance front. Prior to that the resistance was so scattered that even in a majority, overall, no single faction had a chance. The resistance was too watered down. So the TEA Party is the next best thing to putting "None of the Above" as a permanent voting option in each race.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 01:06:44 PM »

do hate to break the 'bad' news to folks, but pure ideology never works for very long in the real world.

i'll say.  we have a superb example of that right now.

it is interesting that wanting to bring us back to our constitutional roots is considered being nutty and ideologically extreme.  perhaps this is one example of how we have arrived at the current mess?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 04:59:40 PM »

It will be nice to have a permanent 3rd option of tea party "angry off" party instead of the usual two.  And have a chance of beating them.....I can't quit dreaming. Smiley
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 08:48:43 PM »

I don't think a 3rd party will help out much.   Look at some of the European countries with multiple parties, people still vote with the parties.   I think we would be much better off without the parties.  We would vote for the individual. Remember,  they work for us, representing us, like being our lawyer in government.  Cut out the parties, then half of their money is taken away from them.   Cut out K street and the other half of the money is gone.   Then their votes would not be bought by the party or K street.   

And don't forget term limits.  They should  work as a service to us, not making a job out of it.  The founding fathers went back to farming when they were done, not making Washington DC a permanent new home.   
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 09:06:59 PM »

i had proposed time limits for congress.  there is no good reason for them to spend as much time in Washington as they do.  the job of congress is to legislate and to allocate funds.  if they are spending most of their time in Washington, they feel compelled to do more of both.  they should have a couple of months a year to do the business of the country and then go back home to face their people.  wouldn't hurt them to have a real job either, but i guess that would be to much to ask.

so...let them keep their salary and benefits, but no travel money, no expense accounts, no perks when they are at home. no govt airplane to fly them home  if there is an emergency, they can hop on a plane or the computer and deal with it.

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »

.  the job of congress is to legislate and to allocate funds.  if they are spending most of their time in Washington, they feel compelled to do more of both. 

That is a very good point.  Remember back in the early days, they got paid by the day they work in congress.  And they were only suppose to be up there what 6 months at the most.
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 09:58:53 PM »

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."  --Taticus

That quote says it all as far as I am concerned.  We don't need those guys in Washington passing 2,000 page bills they haven't even read and making rules and regs for every aspect of our lives.

That fact that some congressmen have been up there 30, 40, even more years is so beyond the pale as to make our founding fathers turn over in their graves.  But it is the stupid voters who keep electing them.  What are they thinking?

linda d
The Bix
House Bee

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 10:14:48 PM »

Washington seems to have an incurable disease and it infects our elected officials no matter how idealistic they are when the first arrive...so I think we need to keep them away.  Turn the US Capitol into a museum, make the representatives have ONE office...IN THEIR DISTRICT, so they actually have to face their constituents every day they go to "work".  Voting on bills can be done electronically.  Add term limits and you'll actually have a representative republic again.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 10:17:50 PM »

Add term limits and you'll actually have a representative republic again.

Well said,  applause
bigbearomaha
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 07:24:58 AM »

worst part is, term limits shouldn't even really be an issue.

back when this was all set up, no one seriously anticipated someone actually wanting to spend more than a few years doing this.

It was meant to be seen as a service, like jury duty.  "average" individuals coming together to represent the interests of the whole.

This is why I balk at the notion that someone is supposed to be "experienced" at politics and bureaucracy to run for office.

That is also why I never support  the idea that even obamarama not having a lot of 'elected' experience is an issue. 

I say let the farmers and the plumbers and the factory workers have a shot at the office as well.
they certainly can't do worse than the "experienced" career politicians are doing.

If someone really needs to be kicked out, it's the paid lobbyists.There's another area that was never meant to be a career.

To lobby one's gov't is something every American has a right to.  but with paid professionals booking up every spare second that the elected folks have outside of chambers, what average citizen has a chance to get their attention anymore?

professional lobbyists and career politicians were something the founders thought was a repugnant idea.  who in their right mind would want to do that?

Big Bear
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 08:05:38 AM »

Idaxon, you quote Tacitus, the one in bed with Nero right?
I do understand what you mean by it, just wanted to check if that is who you wanted to quote.  I do agree with you also, all of you are very right but how can we (the little but many bee keepers) fix this?
The Bix
House Bee

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 09:51:13 AM »

Vote in November....crawl over broken glass on all fours if you have to, to get to your polling place.  Hope and pray for gridlock so they don't screw things up worse...pretty low bar I know, but one thing at a time.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 10:00:26 AM »

Vote early, vote often. 
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2010, 11:33:44 AM »

i never was in favor of term limits, but the last election proved that the country is largely populated with idiots.  i guess as FDR drove us to mandate presidential terms, so these lifers have made term limits necessary.

i don't have such a problem with lobbyists.  as an example, i am a gun owner.  i don't have time to rush to DC every time congress starts to mess in my gun rights.  i pay the NRA to do that.  corrupt politicians knowing that the lobbyists have lots of money, are more the problem
this might be another place where term limits would have impact.  if the pol knows he/she has limited time in government, they will be less tempted by things like campaign contributions.

Alexis de Tocqueville
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »

Country Bee:

I guess even reprobates can have the right idea once in a while.  Looks like his quote was grounded in experience.

linda d
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next