Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Latest  (Read 3332 times)

Offline BeeHopper

  • Queen Bee
  • ****
  • Posts: 1122
  • Gender: Male
The Latest
« on: May 28, 2005, 04:06:42 PM »
When is the latest a colony should be started from a package, nuc or possibly a swarm to ensure its numbers are sufficent to survive the oncoming winter in the Northeast, late May, June , July :?:

Offline Michael Bush

  • Universal Bee
  • *******
  • Posts: 14862
  • Gender: Male
    • bushfarms.com
The Latest
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 04:59:31 PM »
I'm not in the Northeast but I'm fairly far North with pretty cold temps and I'd do it in August.  Later is pushing it but I've done that too.  July is not too late.
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 300
The Latest
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 05:08:31 PM »
Michael-

Is that starting on finished foundation? Or fresh combs? August or past seems awfully late in the year. By September or so they slow down so much on comb production. I just can't see how they'd get finished with 2 supers before winter.

But I started a 2 pound package on fresh frames at the begining of July, and I had people tell me that was too late. I wasn't. :) They got the work done in time.

Beth

Offline BeeHopper

  • Queen Bee
  • ****
  • Posts: 1122
  • Gender: Male
The Latest
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 06:36:12 PM »
Quote from: Miss Chick-a-BEE
Michael-

Is that starting on finished foundation? Or fresh combs? August or past seems awfully late in the year. By September or so they slow down so much on comb production. I just can't see how they'd get finished with 2 supers before winter.

But I started a 2 pound package on fresh frames at the begining of July, and I had people tell me that was too late. I wasn't. :) They got the work done in time.

Beth


Brand New WAX foundation. Thats 18 Deep Frames x 2 hives. I am still looking for a Bee Yard in my area. Once that is done, I hope to get some italians for their comb building abilities.Seems like a longshot :(

Offline Michael Bush

  • Universal Bee
  • *******
  • Posts: 14862
  • Gender: Male
    • bushfarms.com
The Latest
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 04:19:37 PM »
I've caught swarms in July and August and they made it fine.  But I usually have at least some drawn comb to give them and sometimes I've had to feed them to get enough stores to get through the winter.  If they don't get built up enough, i just combine them with another weak hive.  But of course a swarm in August has a lot of work to do to get ready for winter.
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 300
The Latest
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 07:13:40 PM »
If you can find a nuc, that might be best because for one thing it's more bees, but also they'll have a few frames already going. A swarm might work too, if you can keep the comb you find and attach it to the frames.

I'm thinking it is sort of a long shot on finding a package right now. But you might. :) If you do..... start this just as soon as you can to give them the best chance. You will probably end up feeding them through the winter, but that's ok too.

Beth

Offline Jerrymac

  • Galactic Bee
  • ******
  • Posts: 6047
  • Gender: Male
The Latest
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 10:27:15 PM »
A swarm doesn't have comb.  :roll:

An established hive has comb you can cut out and tie into frames. :wink:

Let's keep the terminology straight or it will become as confusing as suger water.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

 :jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline SherryL

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 241
The Latest
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 01:04:55 AM »
Quote
Let's keep the terminology straight or it will become as confusing as suger water.


You mean sugar water?  I AM confused!  :wink:

Sorry Jerry, I couldn't resist....

Offline Jerrymac

  • Galactic Bee
  • ******
  • Posts: 6047
  • Gender: Male
The Latest
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 08:36:32 AM »
Well ,  ummmm..... Since most people pronounce it  "ger" instead of "gar" we might as well change the spelling don't you think??
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

 :jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 300
The Latest
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 09:03:59 AM »
Duhhh!  :?  What was I thinking? A swarm with comb????

Oh boy. Thanks for catching that Jerry.... my bad. :)

Beth

Offline BeeHopper

  • Queen Bee
  • ****
  • Posts: 1122
  • Gender: Male
The Latest
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 10:01:26 AM »
I can see now that chances are much better for my bees if there some comb already in place. Thanks for the input everyone. :D

Offline Apis629

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 831
  • Gender: Male
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
The Latest
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 11:48:31 AM »
Miss Chick-a-BEE wrote
Quote
I'm thinking it is sort of a long shot on finding a package right now.


I'll save you alot of searching and tell you that Spell Bee co. is shipping 3 pound packages of Italians all the way through September.  They're in Baxley, Georgia and their number is 912-367-9352 or they also have a second number which is 912-367-4179.

Oh, and by the way, this is a message ment to make your search for package bees easier no an ad!
 :shock:

Offline Kris^

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 560
The Latest
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 09:47:35 PM »
Beehopper, if you can get a 3 lbs. package shipped to you soon, the weather has been nice enough around here that you could get a hive full of two boxes full before winter, using foundation.  Or you could use the permacomb, I suppose, but I have no experience with that.

Where are you in town that you need to find an outyard for your hive?  

-- Kris

Offline BeeHopper

  • Queen Bee
  • ****
  • Posts: 1122
  • Gender: Male
The Latest
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 10:47:53 PM »
Quote from: Kris^
Beehopper, if you can get a 3 lbs. package shipped to you soon, the weather has been nice enough around here that you could get a hive full of two boxes full before winter, using foundation.  Or you could use the permacomb, I suppose, but I have no experience with that.

Where are you in town that you need to find an outyard for your hive?  

-- Kris


Kris, I'm in the Oak Valley section of Deptford right off Rt45. I am willing to travel up to 45-60 minutes to a location.Nothing solid as of today.

Regards,
Bob

Offline Kris^

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 560
The Latest
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 12:01:16 AM »
I'm not that familiar with that section, but Liz seems to remember it as older homes in a development?  How large are the lot sizes?  That said, I'm not certain it's the code enforcement officer's place to give legal advice regarding the "liability issues" of keeping bees in town.  Talk with your insurance agent, or your attorney.  Consider where the fencing and shrubbery in everyone's backyards runs, and how high they are, etc.  And talk with your neighborss.

I've seen some pretty intense looking dogs kept behind flimsy fences that are a greater risk of liability than are bees.

-- Kris

Offline BeeHopper

  • Queen Bee
  • ****
  • Posts: 1122
  • Gender: Male
The Latest
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 01:32:27 PM »
Quote from: Kris^
I'm not that familiar with that section, but Liz seems to remember it as older homes in a development?  How large are the lot sizes?  That said, I'm not certain it's the code enforcement officer's place to give legal advice regarding the "liability issues" of keeping bees in town.  Talk with your insurance agent, or your attorney.  Consider where the fencing and shrubbery in everyone's backyards runs, and how high they are, etc.  And talk with your neighborss.

I've seen some pretty intense looking dogs kept behind flimsy fences that are a greater risk of liability than are bees.

-- Kris


I have been through all that liability stuff 2 years ago when I first became interested in beekeeping. I can do it , no laws or ordnances prohibiting me from doing so, but I live on a small property (less than 1/4 acre), all my neighbors on 3 sides have swimming pools and lots of children, so I opted not to do it. I'd rather look for a piece of land to use by permission, less hassles. You're right about the dog thing. :?