Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 22, 2014, 06:41:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On The Right Track.....  (Read 3925 times)
beek4018
House Bee

« on: September 14, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »

"The deficit is nearly $1.3 trillion in the first 11 months of the fiscal year, the Treasury report also showed Monday. That's $111 billion or 8% lower than the same period in fiscal 2009." Source: marketwatch.com

The deficit increased every year between 2001 and 2008 with a total increase of $4.35 trillion. Source: treasurydirect.gov

Maybe it is slow, but it does seem to be working
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 05:55:53 PM »

U. S. Treasury Department report to Congress: U.S debt to rise to $19.6 trillion by 2015.      http://www.federalbudget.com/

beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 06:01:57 PM »

Based on what? And whse budget?  Extrapolations that far into the future are meaningless.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »

(Reuters) - The U.S. debt will top $13.6 trillion this year and climb to an estimated $19.6 trillion by 2015, according to a Treasury Department report to Congress.

The report that was sent to lawmakers Friday night with no fanfare said the ratio of debt to the gross domestic product would rise to 102 percent by 2015 from 93 percent this year.

"The president's economic experts say a 1 percent increase in GDP can create almost 1 million jobs, and that 1 percent is what experts think we are losing because of the debt's massive drag on our economy," said Republican Representative Dave Camp, who publicized the report.

He was referring to recent testimony by University of Maryland Professor Carmen Reinhart to the bipartisan fiscal commission, which was created by President Barack Obama to recommend ways to reduce the deficit, which said debt topping 90 percent of GDP could slow economic growth.

The U.S. debt has grown rapidly with the economic downturn and government spending for the Wall Street bailout, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and the economic stimulus. The rising debt is contributing to voter unrest ahead of the November congressional elections in which Republicans hope to regain control of Congress.

The total U.S. debt includes obligations to the Social Security retirement program and other government trust funds. The amount of debt held by investors, which include China and other countries as well as individuals and pension funds, will rise to an estimated $9.1 trillion this year from $7.5 trillion last year.

By 2015 the net public debt will rise to an estimated $14 trillion, with a ratio to GDP of 73 percent, the Treasury report said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN088462520100608
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »

This might work also......... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_bankruptcy 
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 09:01:11 PM »

I am glad we are not using credit as a country! grin  Did obama turn us around?
tecumseh
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:15:53 PM »

snip..
Did obama turn us around?

tecumseh:
I would say no.  However I would  suggest that governmental physical policy employed first by Mr Bush (a bit late, but what the heck) and then by Mr Obama seems to have 'worked' in a classical Keynesian manner.

some economist consider the Keynesian remedy employed by both Bush and Obama as being somewhat timid.  so I guess???  from that you might expect the response to also be slow.

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 06:32:01 AM »

Well, I guess all the people that voted for him got their "change"! tongue  Too bad all my family and children have to live with the results of it.
beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 10:42:18 AM »

Gee Country Bee.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the economy was already in the tank when Obama took over.  Now, he hasn't fixed it as quickly as we might like, but there are signs of growth.  I'm not blaming it all on Bush, but don't forget, TARP (the original stimulus) was on his watch.  There IS growth in GDP, and while jobs are lagging, they are always the last thing to come back in a recession. That's just how that works. 

And, those tax breaks conservatives are so hot to make permanent were in force when we got into this trouble (under Bush), so why would we imagine making them permanent would fix our problems when they may well have been part of the problem to begin with.  Clearly they did not stimulate massive growth and subsequent tax revenue as their supports claim they will. Trickle down DOES NOT WORK because businessmen these days are all about making as much for themselves as quickly as they can before they get replaced by their boards.  Except for small businesses, they don't give a darn about building anything long term.

And for the record, I'm tired of hearing people like you whine about the personal burden on your family.  We are all suffering with this.  Where were you when Bush took us from a surplus to massive deficits by way of an unaccounted for war run completely off the books?  Iraq was never in the budget, but was done completely off of supplemental funding bills, so they wouldn't have to account for it or justify it publicly. There's a recipe for fiscal responsibility.  Did you complain about that then?  We're all paying for that too.
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 10:59:44 AM »

beekeep4018:

Yes, the economy was already in the tank in 2008, but the Dems had controlled the purse stings in Congress for 2 years at that point.  Bush should have been vetoing spending bills left and right.

Would I defend what Bush did when he was in office?  Not on your life.  He was billed as a conservative (maybe on social policy) but his economics were atrocious.  Passing more entitlements (prescription drug benefits anyone) when Social Security and Medicare were already  on the threshhold of bankruptcy was absolutely irresponsible.
Bush and Rove thought they would build an enduring Republican majority by taking a page out of the Democratic play book and buy votes/loyalty with $$$$ goodies from Washington and it backfired on them -- and the country -- big time.

linda d
bigbearomaha
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »

you mean the unaccounted for war that the current president voted for when he was in congress?  Gee, last  I checked, the president can't "make" law, only sign or veto them.

if he has  enough cronies from his party in congress, he can exert pressure to get something he wants done accomplished.

lets see, what party was in control of congress while bush was president?

wow, it looks like both democrats and republicans have dirty hands in this whole thing but want to keep playing games with the public by pretending they didn't.  it was the "other guys"

I have to stand up for country bee here because if he didn't speak for his own family, you would be criticizing him for speaking on behalf of others and that he should speak only for himself, which he did.

but, I have to give you credit, you have to be the second biggest party hack apologist on the forums here.  good luck with that.

Big Bear

beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 11:28:33 AM »

Sorry Big Bear, your Republican/Conservative inability to let a little thing like the facts get in the way of your good  time is showing again.....

Yes, the democrats were in control of congress for the last two years of Bush's presidency.  But you might want to do the math on how long the Iraq war lasted.  The repubs. had control of congress and the purse strings for most of it. They let Bush put through billions of dollars in war spending off the books.

Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 11:30:48 AM »

The National Debt Road Trip

I know, he "claims" to have adjusted for inflation. Nobody knows who he is - no alarms are being raised about this on CNN, clearly some kind of smoke and mirrors conservative propaganda... etc. etc. etc..

be happy and make others happy.
bigbearomaha
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 11:41:42 AM »

beek, one of these days, we're gonna have to take up a collection to get you reading lessons or something.

I am not a republican.  sorry to burst your hateful little bubble for ya there.

I am not a "conservative" as you would define it,which is identical  to a political party.

no, I will leave that to shills and party hacks like you.

you still cannot admit that the democrats are as much to blame for the mess out there as the repubs.  you continue to engage in finger pointing and playing the blame game. while I try to continue to point out that ALL of them are to blame, not just one.

you need to get a grip on yourself and put the talking points printout down for awhile so you can see what people are really saying.

Big Bear
beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 12:57:27 PM »

PUHLESE, Big Bear

As far as I can tell your lack of commitment to any viewpoint and blaming them all makes it really clear that you stand for NOTHING.

AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 02:00:04 PM »

These are things I know.   My 4 year old son is 40,000 dollars in debt for his part of the national debt.   This goes up everyday.   One can not borrow their way out of debt.  I work construction.   I am a small business.   I am in there for the long haul.   I work for people and corporations that have a whole lot more money than I.   When these people or corporations do not spend money, we the little people do not work.  The housing market controls the economy.  You are not going to get people to buy homes until they have jobs.  You are not going to employ these people without small businesses.  You are not going to going to start more small businesses without lending money (SBA loans and bank loans).  You can not help these small businesses by killing them with government paper work and taxes.   
beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 02:19:01 PM »

I think it's a bit simplistic to say the housing market controls the economy.  Get a grip on yourself, and your place in the world.

It controls one aspect of the economy. It's an important aspect, but it is NOT the entire economy. It's a bit more complex than that.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 03:14:44 PM »

So you believe that the economy will correct itself without the housing market?  Look at the end of every recession we have had in the last 40 years.     
bigbearomaha
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »

no beeker, you got it wrong, as usual.

I stand for individuals, people coming together to decide what is best . not some clandestine rich boy clubs pooling their money and picking their buddies to push an agenda that only benefits part of society.

Just because  I don't stand for party politics doesn't mean I stand for nothing, but it figures that's all that you would see.

some of us beleive in the people as a whole. as in...

of the people, by the people, for the people.

someday, you might actually figure that out.  until then, we'll pray for ya.

Big Bear
beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 04:00:02 PM »

"You'll pray for me....

Oh yeah, Big Bear there you go hiding behind God.  You've probably got a gun down there with you too.

Allen - Why am I not surprised that as usual you missed the point, or just can't/don't read.  I acknowledged that housing is part of the economy, but it's not all of it, and will not be all of the solution.  Just part of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next