Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 31, 2014, 09:58:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any weekend barbecue cooks here?  (Read 1629 times)
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« on: August 07, 2010, 07:29:59 AM »

I have always been fascinated with the barbecue competitions that you see on television. Whether it be chili, meat based, or other competitions.

So this year, I have been planning on getting a pull behind master grill for hauling off to whatever competition I can attend. My wife of course asks if I have the time for such things. But I need something away from 24 hours a day bees on my mind.

Today, just for fun, we are entering a local chili competition. My partner in this has done some local competitions and has won two first prize awards.

Just curious if anyone here goes or takes part in competitions? I want to do the whole, "rib, brisket, etc" competitions where they score a number of entries. I know the major barbecue circuit is midwest area, but I think there are enough competitions within a days drive for this to be a weekend type thing a few times a year.

At this point, it all about getting away and having some weekend fun. So it's not something I will be spending massive amounts of time dedicated to late nights tweeking this or that, or spending thousands of dollars on. You know, something like I said when I got into bees.... rolleyes

Anyone else into this?

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 08:38:25 AM »

I like tinkering a little at home,but one of those cookoffs sounds like a fun thing.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:14:35 AM »

I like eating at the Lexington Bar-B-Que festival every year, in Lexington, NC. The Bar-B-Que capital of the world.

Sorry, I only cook inside.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:57:58 AM »

I partake in two chili cook-offs per year. One is a local (very local) event put on by a biker bar about 2 mi from the house, the other is a large weekend event know as "Roscoe's chili challenge" and has about a 25 year history. Both are tons of fun.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 05:18:35 PM »

My favorite think to do on slow cook is pork shoulder - typically 8-10 pounds. I found several recipes all that have this in common:

Rubbed in MUSTARD (regular yellow is fine)
add pepper and salt it well
add 1/2 to 1 cup of adobo seasoning
3 cups brown sugar
1 cup (3 packets) of Taco Seasoning

Wrap it like a mummy in heavy plastic wrap. Wrap the sealed pork shoulder in aluminum foil and cook at 325 (away from direct heat) for 7 hours. If you have to test temp, poke a hole thru the top of the foil/plastic and aim for 185-190. Try to not break the seal if possible just the littlest hole you have to make.

Take off heat and let set for at least 1 hour, better 2. It will retain its heat, but best servers very warm, do not cut thru plastic until it is at least down to 120. This will be 8 pounds of incredible pulled pork. I really can't explain other than to say it is so smooth in texture it tastes like a new animal. Soooo smooth and nicely bodied.

Finally, you can make pockets across the top of the pork before rubbing it with the ingredients so the rub is well into the meat from the start. I promise, this is a GREAT place to build from. Making it yours should be easy to tweak.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
bigbearomaha
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 08:51:14 PM »

I might imagine you have plenty of recipes calling for honey in them?

Big Bear

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »

Bjorn,
How did you fare in the chili competition?
 Did you get your pull behind master grille yet?
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »

Bjorn,
How did you fare in the chili competition?
 Did you get your pull behind master grille yet?

buzz,
What a bunch of crap it was.

Even though we were the first one to show up, we were told that "these" tables are reserved. So we were down at the end of the hall. Most people walked in, got some quarters, and then made their way down the row. Problem was that many after tasting 6 or 8 chili samples, just simply stopped and then went to the booth to vote.

So the "reserved" tables right inside the door, had many more taste their chili.  The winner was based on "votes", mainly from people who only tasted a portion of the offerings. The "reserved" tables also seemed to be for those from the church that was cohosting the event. So whether I had the best chili in the world, people voted on who they wanted to win, and not really for who had the best chili.

I wrote a rather detailed letter suggesting that there should be a "Judges Winner" as well as a "fan favorite". That way the judges pick a winner of unmarked samples presented. Then the crowds can select who raises the most money for the charity by quarters collected or by open vote.

But the way it was set up, the winner was selected by location, bias, and no actual judges.

I'll never do that crap again. Many were there doing their first contest. Many ticked off people. I will not even consider a contest without knowing in advance the judging criteria.

What should of happened is all contestants should of been there at a certain time, then table assignments should of been selected with a random drawing.

My first contest in doing something worthwhile for a charity, left me very ticked and not willing to do it again.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 12:33:55 PM »

Sorry it did't work out.Sounds like a blind taste test is whats needed there. I think you could probably find a better venue for this type of contest.
 Hope this experience didn't leave that bad of a taste (pun not intended really). If you like bbqing i wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Maybe you can find a woodsman style event to take a shot at.
If not,I'm sure you could always have a bunch of friends over for a great cookout and some cool adult beverages !
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 01:49:32 PM »

IF I could remember how my son made his h311fire chili I'd probably have a hit on my hands - for the people still conscious.

be happy and make others happy.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 06:33:25 AM »

If not,I'm sure you could always have a bunch of friends over for a great cookout and some cool adult beverages !

I already do that. Annual picnic drew 153 this year...... grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
tecumseh
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 08:18:59 AM »

Bjorn writes:
I have always been fascinated with the barbecue competitions that you see on television. Whether it be chili, meat based, or other competitions.

tecumseh:
these events are so elaborate and over the top in texas that a complete explanation is almost impossible.  just let me say that one of my neighbors spent about $12000 on a barbecue trailer for attending such event.  locally we have one in the town of Snook that draws about 30000 people.

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.
Roadrunner
New Bee

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 04:06:29 PM »

Google the website for the Kansas City Barbeque Society. Each year they sanction over 300 professional BBQ contests across the country. Click on Events and you will see all of the upcoming contests some of which may be in your area. As a member of KCBS you will receive their monthly newspaper publication.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 07:21:52 PM »

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »

Those are  cool.   I wonder if the engine on the bike cooker works.   For people that like a less woodsy more exhausty taste to their meat. 
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 07:53:01 PM »

I believe it is a running bike. The cooker is just like a side car attachment as I see it in the picture.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »

Talk about a hot ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next