I was disappointed with all of the plans that I was able to find online for honey extractors. So I paid for a set of plans I found on ebay. Still disappointed, I decided with a friend's help to design and build one from scratch. I've seen a lot of parts inside homebrew extractors made with wood, galvanized steel products and PVC....none of which is food safe. I guess wood can be with the right sealing agent, but still it can warp. So everything in this assembly is food safe HDPE or UHMW plastic and won't warp. The barrel came from a recycle place and it is food safe. All of the metal parts are stainless. It is powered with a 1/2" corded drill and it is VERY effective. It can do 8 medium or shallow frames radially or four deep frames tangentially.
I'd love to hear your feedback. I have had a heck of a time trying to use this ImageShack thing, hopefully the pictures show up.
Here it is, ready to go. It is powered by a corded 1/2" drill, though one can use a 3/8" drill and even works with a cordless drill:
Here's what it looks like with the top pulled off. You see the "top plate" which is used to secure the frames in place while spinning:
With the top plate pulled off, frames in position for extracting:
With the top plate pulled off and frames removed, you can see the bottom plate and the guide ring:
Spinner assembly removed, the stainless steel shaft extends out from the bottom and inserts into the bearing assembly:
Inside the barrel with the spinner assembly removed, you see the bearing assembly in the center and the honey gate off to the left:
Close up of the bearing assembly with a little propolis stuck to the top, there are seven ball bearings inside the hole where the stainless steel shaft rests:
Close up of the machined bottom plate: