Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 03:25:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book Burning  (Read 8336 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: September 08, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »

So some minister in Florida wants to burn some books, Quran to be exact. Or Koran as he has spelt it.

If he legal obtained the books then I guess they are his to do with as he wants. People have already given him too much power in the act because of all the protest against it.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »

both spellings are acceptable.

he has the right to do it.  it's the wisdom of the act that i question. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
bigbearomaha
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »

I think he has the legal right to be an idiot.

Although  I wouldn't call off burning the book because a bunch of crazed 13th century miscreants threatened me.   I wouldn't have threatened to burn the book in the first place, it just makes the guy look like a complete ass and a religious hypocrite.

But, doggone it, this is America and he has the right to be stupid. sad to say.

All you can really say is "some people's children"

Big Bear
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »

my concern is that this will be like the Mohamed cartoons.  people will die because this guy wants to make a point.  will it be worth it if one of our kids, or husbands/wives, etc. are killed while traveling?  will it be worth it if more of our soldiers are killed.

in fact, i think this will threaten many of us.  i agree they are idiots to react the way they do, but if they prove they are idiots by killing one of my own, this pastor's right to free speech won't make my family member any less dead.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 07:07:49 PM »

He has the right to burn them, as they have the right to build the mosque at ground zero.  I I believe that both are in bad taste.   As much as America got upset over the mosque, the muslim world will get upset over burning their most holy book.  Like giving children matches after gas has been poured all over the place.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 07:24:26 PM »

And so it goes.....

They will do something because of what he is going to do.

He is doing it because of something they did.

They did what they did because of something someone did.

Someone did something because of what they did.

They did it because.....

and then...

and so...

and ...

etc

etc

etc

This started when?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 07:27:08 PM »

When Abram couldn't wait.
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »

lau lau lau

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 10:59:58 PM »

couldn't wait, or couldn't believe... either way.........

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:52:04 AM »

I find the retaliation threat kind of strange - they've threatened to kill US soldiers. No one has asked the soldiers their perspective, though some of my friends have insisted that the preacher back off. (The soldiers themselves may not be at liberty to discuss their feelings on the issue). I suppose the second part of my thoughts on this are: 'They've threatened violence on soldiers. - Does that mean they're going to stop serving them tea and cookies?' I may offend some people but am I incorrect in believing that what they are really saying is: "we will try harder to do what we have been trying to do and have been largely unable to do so far"? I don't want to be distasteful, but I have to wonder how the rank and file feel about being the objects of what boils down to 'outsiders' trying to use extortion to influence free speech. I'm not there so no matter what my opinion is really irrelevant.

be happy and make others happy.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 01:15:37 AM »

i am less worried about soldiers than i am about tourists, business travelers, etc.  the soldiers are armed and i assume can more or less take care of themselves.  it's the rest of us who are at risk.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 01:44:21 AM »

So this guy burns a few books and they come to destroy a bunch of us. Then what? We go after them... a little more. Then more retaliation on top of more retaliation.......

Now let me get this straight. Dying for Allah is a glorious thing to do, they will be martyred. So they are happy to do it. They will never stop until they finally get a wicked weapon and then it is boom time.

I think they should drop pamphlets across the countries with the Terrorist telling those people they have a month to get them out of there (the terrorist that is) or they better run far away because there will never be life on that land again.

But really when you think about it.... they are our terrorist and we are their terrorist. They fight for their god and we fight for ours.... be it God, or the god of capitalism, or the god of democracy, or the god of freedom, the god of justice, the god of vengeance.....

I guess the last man standing wins.

Jerry

bigbearomaha
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 07:04:03 AM »

That's the problem though. they don't fight for god. they fight for power and glory.

God is just the cover story leading to the other two.

I know a couple muslims here.  They think the terrorists are just as much idiots s   I do and have pointed out to me in their book where these yoyo's are taking passages too literally or way too far.

when you boil all the pretension away, it's about a power trip.  as usual.

Big Bear
deknow
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »

i think it's worth considering the following:

here in the states, it is widely believed/accepted/talked about that muslims do this, think that, etc...certainly these yahoos in florida have ideas of "what a muslim is".  (generally, i think most here have a more open perspective on this....the clown in chief down in florida wrote a book called "islam is of the devil").

so, now, christians in this country are faced with a stupid and ignorant person (with 50 followers) who is making worldwide headlines with a planned act that is _at least_ going to be perceived (and marketed) by our enemies as "how christians act", "how americans act".

to me, it seems that the vast majority of american christians are now in (or about to be in) the same boat of the majority of world's muslims....peace loving individuals being "spoken for" by fringe extremists.

it doesn't look like jones will get a burn permit, so my guess is this will end with the lighting of a match....but it's a lesson we can all learn from.

deknow
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »

Seems there has been a compromise.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100909/ap_on_re_us/quran_burning

Pastor Terry Jones said Thursday that he decided to cancel his protest because the leader of a planned Islamic Center near ground zero has agreed to move its controversial location. The agreement couldn't be immediately confirmed.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:34:26 PM by Jerrymac » Logged

Jerry

Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 06:23:47 PM »

Actually - the 'burn permit' issue had been addressed; his lawyer had already told him he does not need a burn permit to express himself under the 1st amdt. 
I think there were other issues about assembly permits with others recently as well. - essentially if you're in pursuit of a constitutional right - no-one can deny it based on whether you asked permission to exercise that right.

be happy and make others happy.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »

it doesn't look like jones will get a burn permit, so my guess is this will end with the lighting of a match....but it's a lesson we can all learn from

what exactly is the lesson?  

every single civilized country is having a problem with racial Islam.  while it may be true that the majority of Muslims are peaceful, that's not much comfort if the are billions of Muslims and a small % = millions who are radicals.  

when a bible is burned or a flag, or even when a Jew or Christian is murdered by a Muslim radical, interpol doesn't have to put out an international warning that Christians, Jews, etc. are apt to go on a murdering rampage.

the guy in Florida is a nut.  i don't condone what he planned to do.  however, the lesson i am drawing is that every time we twitch, a portion of the Muslim population has a seizure.  that's a problem.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:31:02 PM by kathyp » Logged

Alexis de Tocqueville
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 08:25:45 PM »

Even though the cookout has been called off, I think the damage has already been done.   He made the news worldwide and everybody has heard what he planned to do even though it is off, so right now a portion of the Muslim population is having their "seizure" and will use this for fuel for their fire...
Travel tomorrow will not be any safer than travel today.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 08:35:02 PM »

>>>>In Afghanistan, hundreds of angry Afghans burned an American flag and chanted "Death to the Christians" to protest the planned Quran burning.<<<<

Why didn't we hear the same type of uproar about this??

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
bigbearomaha
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »

People please.   I mean c'mon.  only a small, small percentage of the U.S. population lives in a desert situation and having their brains baked like old clay pots.

That's nothing compared to a whole country of sun baked, delirium-is-the-everyday situation those poor souls suffer.

One of the the first symptoms of heat stroke is hallucinations and hyper-emotional stress reactions.

For us, it's a bad thing to avoid, for them, it's everyday life.

of course, it's not like our country is without it's fair share of brain injury either.  a great  many Americans seem to be brain dead in direct relationship in regards to proximity to politicians.

my one piece of advice to really help peaceful relationships with desert folks, plant trees, not poppies.  it's amazing what a little shade will accomplish.

Big Bear

EDIT:  For the humor deprived, this is a joke playing off the effects of too much sun on human beings.   Please     skip this post if you were born without a personality. thank you.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next