Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 10:22:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Crap!!! We know nothing  (Read 6361 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: September 03, 2010, 10:26:45 AM »

I keep reading in these arguments that all the liberal news is biased to one side and doesn't tell all the facts or the truthful facts. Then all the conservative news is biased to one side and doesn't tell all the facts or the truthful facts.

Can't depend on talk radio or blogs or any other means of getting the word out to the public because it is all one sided gibberish and can't be trusted. The politicians lie to us anyway and then the media lies on top of that. Then the others take the bits and peices of the lies they like and make their own reality out of that.

Is that what the arguments are reduced to? Might as well hang it up then.

Or could it be that some people just don't want to see the truth?

There is a cliff in front of you. Open your eyes little sheep.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:29:36 AM »

most news gets the slant of the person reporting.  it's up to us to fact check.  that's easier than ever.  to bad we have to do it, but we do.  

same thing is true with teachers at all levels.  i don't care what their leanings, they can not help but bleed some of that into their teachings.  unfortunately most media and most instructors are liberal, so there is far more of that slant than to the right.  

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »

That is where the liberals go, they hide in college and become professors instead of making it in the real world and working for a living. evil
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 02:35:37 PM »

most news gets the slant of the person reporting.  it's up to us to fact check.

But now where do you get the facts? From some other biased source?

If you are not at the place to witness it first hand then how can you believe anything from any where?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »

If you are not at the place to witness it first hand then how can you believe anything from any where?
Exactly. And even then, no 3 witnesses can ever agree on what each of them just saw with their own eyes.

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
jgaito
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »

nobody can make up facts unless they lie.   it's never been easier to fact check than it is now.  it's not so much a matter of inaccurate 'facts' being tossed out as much as a matter of what either faction decides NOT to print or report on.  deletion of information is the same as a lie.   for example, i watch CBS in the morning from 5:45 till 7:30.  i listen to ABC streaming all day, and Fox from 6:00 - 7:00 PM.
i've seen the story about the administration backing out on allowing North Korea to sell M1 and M1A rifles for import to America.  these are antique weapons to be legally transfered but the powers that be claim they could get into the hands of criminals.
i have yet to see or hear the story from CBS or ABC.  now, two days running.  that's how you slant without telling a lie.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 04:17:28 PM »

Yeah but see, like global warming. Someone (a scientist) came up with all this crap about it and others (scientists) just copy/paste without doing their own research. Then the ones that do it and come up with different out comes are laughed out of the club.
                                             tumbleweed

Jerry

Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 11:38:58 PM »

I actually learned a brilliant quote from Socrates in a very unexpected place  - Bill & Ted's excellent adventure (yeah, I know  rolleyes ) it is as follows: "The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing" ("That's US dude!" -Ted) So I guess the best route to the truth can be difficult, maybe in believing that when you hear or read something - it is most likely worth the effort to cross check and cross check.
It's pretty sad that lying has become so commonplace that people telling the truth and presenting facts are discredited based on an imagined loyalty to one faction or another.

be happy and make others happy.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 11:57:15 PM »

It's not necessarily lying (although with pols it might be) but perception. I, for example, might notice a certain behavior of my bees. I'll then try to figure out why this behavior is happening. I will form an opinion based on my perceptions.

Another beekeeper might observe the same behavior, yet come away with a totally different perception and form a different opinion.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
bigbearomaha
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 05:14:14 AM »

sharing information is primarily based on trust.

When a person or group gives you information, do you trust that they are telling the truth and are being objective. (just the facts).

Does the person or group when finding out they have provided incorrect information, acknowledge that they were wrong and redouble their efforts to correct it?  Do they instead try to conceal their involvement or awareness and deny or further compound in correct information to obfuscate the issue instead?

the problem with most so called "journalists now" is that they are not objective and are trying to pass a bias , be it personal or company held, on to the listener/reader.

We are losing that trust we might have once had in these "news" sources as we see them not owning up to being wrong or not being objective. 

the best we have now is sources of information that must be cross referenced and corroborated by a variety  of multiple sources before we can actually trust the information is correct anymore.

All too often, they are only interested in selling opinion or what they think you want to hear.  It's about the dollar not about the facts or objectivity.

Big Bear
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 07:25:23 AM »

You are smart bigbear. Smiley
bigbearomaha
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 09:16:21 AM »

depends on who you ask.  my wife on the other hand, would probably dis-agree.  (about me being smart, that is)   Wink
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »

I just like your point of view on a lot of things. grin
bigbearomaha
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 10:41:36 PM »

ah, cool.  wait till you really get to know me.  then you'll hate me too.   evil

heh heh.

Big Bear
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 08:01:50 AM »

No, at least you stand up for what you believe in.  Most change when the grass looks a little better somewhere and then find they are in poop and still say it is nice.  Then change back.  Not you.
bigbearomaha
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 08:10:24 AM »

you gonna make me blush with all this..  by the way, speaking of "not knowing" cuz of the media, anyone seen the multiple seemingly copy/pasted news reports of the 9 yr old kid and the dog that were "attacked" by a "swarm"?

after scouring about a dozen articles covering this, they are all essentially the same story and NO ONE bothered to verify if they were even actually bees or not.

the description sounds like YJ's to me, but the media ran with "bee attack"  and no one followed up.

disgusting
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 08:29:01 AM »

bad news sells papers.  not correct or good news!
bigbearomaha
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 09:02:52 AM »

my point proven.
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »

Does anyone know how many lives were saved in the 911 towers wrecks?  We know how many were lost.  We have a wall being built right now about how many lives were taken from us but no one cares how many lives were saved.  Bad news sells.  How many people in baseball do not take growth hormone?  We all know who does.  Two days ago a player just passed Mark McGuire's record.  How many papers said his name, who knows it?  Bad news sells.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 06:36:08 PM »

First we would need to define "being saved". Could say close to 300,000,000 Americans were saved as they didn't go there that day.

Jerry

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next