Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 04:18:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama's thumb nose at Beekeeping laws too  (Read 9271 times)
Mason
House Bee

« on: August 24, 2010, 04:06:55 PM »

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/blogs/bees/bees-white-house-garden-88032302

The much celebrated beehives in the Obama's White House garden are being kept in violation of the law. The DC Municipal Regulation (DCMR) 904.1 prohibits such a hive within DC. Those of us who are local beekeepers and adhere to the laws (despite not liking them) are given a bad image by the rich, elite and poltically well connected that are scofflaws. By ignoring the law they make it harder for law amiding beekeepers to get overly restrictve laws changed to reasonable ones. Shame on the Obama's. Mrs. Obama's garden is an embarrassment and the Washington Post is complicit by sensationalizing the garden hives in its reports while refusing to report it is in violation of the law. The opportunity is here to 1. modify the law to something reasonable based upon facts not fears and misinformation, and 2. to bring Mrs. Obama's hives and those fo her friend Toni Burnham into compliance while doing so with a proper public discussion and amendment of the DCMR.

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/blogs/bees/bees-white-house-garden-88032302#ixzz0xYNKWEZa

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »

The regulation might be worded "any citizen may not...". And we all know about his citizenship issues grin

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
vermmy35
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:28:35 PM »

Actually, since the white house sits on federal land, they don't fall under the same city ordnances that the regular public would follow.

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/
Mason
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 04:44:51 PM »

The District of Columbia is in fact federal land and not a state.  That however is an idle arguement for why the White House does not comply with the ordinances of the District of Columbia.  It's there law.  If they don't want the law they should change it but allowing lawmakers to break their own laws while enforcing them on others is a recipe for anarchy.  At very least it is a poor way to lead. 

AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 06:22:08 PM »

There are tons of laws out there that the White House does not follow.   Think about the law about not letting us print money............... shocked
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:56:56 PM »

You know, most beeks are thrilled over people keeping bees, within the law or not. Why does this one have to get political, too? If you liked the president, you would be thrilled with lawless beekeeping, wouldn't you?

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:32:49 PM »

i don't think that one should be thrilled with lawlessness no matter who is doing it.  perhaps the WH has been granted a special dispensation?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
beee farmer
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »

I have seen it all now..... a fellow beekeeper pissin n moaning about someone keeping bees simply because he does not like them rolleyes
 I barely have time to research any laws pertaining to where and how I keep bees Let alone someone in another state on federal property.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin
bigbearomaha
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:38:22 PM »

While  I really don't give a toot what Obamas beekeeper does or doesn't do, Obama is in a political job, he is a political figure and has to expect people to pay attention to him in a political way.

The only thing  I see negative is that Obama is a "do as I say, not as  I do" type of person and this simply reflects that state of mind on yet another topic.

Big Bear
beee farmer
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 10:42:51 PM »

While  I really don't give a toot what Obamas beekeeper does or doesn't do, Obama is in a political job, he is a political figure and has to expect people to pay attention to him in a political way.

The only thing  I see negative is that Obama is a "do as I say, not as  I do" type of person and this simply reflects that state of mind on yet another topic.

Big Bear

I stand corrected.... I was looking at "unread posts since last visit" and didnt realize it was.........teach me to look first before reading.... ya'll go on.....

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 10:48:07 PM »

i don't think that one should be thrilled with lawlessness no matter who is doing it.  perhaps the WH has been granted a special dispensation?
There's another thread right now lauding lawless beekeeping. I have NEVER heard a beekeeper worry about the licensing/permit aspect of beekeeping, until it applied to the president.

Yes, he should obey the law. No, I have no idea what the law is in D.C. And, please, since when do beeks let little pesky laws stop them from keeping bees, or despise someone who doesn't?

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
bigbearomaha
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 11:10:39 PM »

or despise someone who doesn't?

You're absolutely right.   I have so many more really good reasons to despise obama, this truly pales in comparison.  evil

Big Bear
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 08:48:41 AM »

Oh please.  All this arguing.  Don't you know...those laws are for the little other people.

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 09:23:59 AM »

i sometimes have more hives here than i should without registering.  i don't think the state if very sticky on it, but it's some kind of a requirement. 

the thing that gets me about all of them is that we can't do what they do.  forget about bees.  how about "mistakes" on their tax forms?  "OOPS....well let me pay that up and we'll just pretend it didn't happen....and i'll take that cabinet level job, be a congressman, etc....."

we have allowed a ruling class.  the Obama's are just the most pubic face on the ruling class.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Mason
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 12:06:42 PM »

He's breaking the law.  If it is a stupid law it should be changed but until then I think it is a reasonable expectation of any leader to obey the laws of his community.  This is just another example of poor leadership.  The whole "bees at the White House" was and is nothing more than political stunt in the first place.  So if they are going to try and spin it to make Obama look like a tree hugger I am well within my rights to call him out as a law breaker.  He may or may not be environmentally responsible but he is definitely and law breaker.  They should be fined just like any of us would be and made to relocate the bees until the law is changed.

Think about this.  If Obama was really promoting beekeeping would he have changed the law to encourage more beekeepers?

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 12:24:50 PM »

It may be illegal to keep bees at the white house but look at the positive exposure we (all bee keepers) are getting. The only negative I have seen mentioned is this thread. (Sorry Mason)

Yes, I could whine about the fact that my municipals ordered me to remove the hives from my residence and raise a fuss that Obama is breaking the law and he is the president of the U.S for God sakes! So I should be entitled as well!

IMHO anything that promotes bee keeping in a positive way is good for the future of bee keeping, even if it means I can't keep them at my main residence, which is extremely aggravating BTW.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
jgaito
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 06:50:57 AM »

i think Mason is simply pointing out more Washington hypocrisy with the media signing on once more.
this president just makes it easy to be critical.  besides, if there are illegal bees in DC ACORN will have them voting and obama will give them amnesty.
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 07:43:45 AM »

Mason applause
Big Bear  applause
bigbearomaha
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 08:10:22 AM »

JP, i understand what you're saying, and you're right, in the sense that all publicity is good publicity in terms of awareness.

At the same time, it's not as  if the Obamalamas are having bees kept at the white house to promote beekeeping.  Michelle reportedly wants the honey as part of her "healthy eating" message.  It's considered a natural food/sweetener which goes hand in hand with er organic garden and push for that kind of healthy eating.

It, in all truthfulness, has nothing to do with intentionally supporting beekeeping.

all that does is make the Obamaramas like every other beekeeper household (cuz they are not beekeepers themselves) that are keeping bees regardless of local ordinances because they want the honey.

If they really wanted to promote beekeeping, they could help to make the necessary changes to local ordinances to allow it and then to be the first in line to get their hives legally registered showing people how the more people that legally have hives is a strong indicator of it's (beekeeping) importance and value in our society.   (seeing as they are only paying someone to manage beehives on the white house property and are not beekeepers themselves).

THAT would be a strong message indeed.  Letting people know that even if they aren't beekeepers, they can support beekeeping by hosting beehives.

Big Bear
Mason
House Bee

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 11:33:21 AM »

The message it sends to me is:  Look at us,  we can do anything we want and are above the law.  You peons however are required to follow these laws or be subject to the fines and penalties associated with them. 

Pretty cut and dry if you ask me. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next