Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 23, 2014, 07:28:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama's thumb nose at Beekeeping laws too  (Read 9724 times)
melliferal
House Bee

@Checkmite

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 06:40:45 PM »

I'm pretty confident we can all rest assured that nobody who is aware that the hives at the White House might be there illegally is directing their bad thoughts at beekeeping in general.  I'm pretty sure all their outrage is aimed straight at Obama.  MOAR OUTRAGE!

Recently moved; re-keeping in 2014.
slacker361
Field Bee

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 08:16:27 PM »

cant we all just get along?

dont answer that I already know the answer
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »

Geez, people, this is so nitpicky. Who cares why they have bees at the White House? Who cares why they want honey? It's a good thing any time there is someone caring for bees.

you're right.  why do we bother to even have laws and rules in the first place.   I mean really, who cares how things get done as long as they happen right?

the end justifies the means and why wait for others to get what  I want if  I  can just do whatever  I need to, when  I want to to get what  I want.  right?

but wait, you mean this is a country based on the rule of law.  even "little" laws?  you mean to tell me that all laws are meant to be broken and that if you have the means and power, the laws don't apply to oyu as much as others?

sounds like straight thinking to me.   rolleyes

Big Bear

Big bear, I'm not sure if you are deliberately misunderstanding me for the sake of argument, or if you really don't take my meaning. I did not say "who cares who keeps the law?" I said "who cares why they have bees and want honey?" What is the point of trying to figure out their motives? And does anyone actually KNOW the law for beekeeping in DC?

As for keeping bees against the law, I find it highly ironic that at least one person on this thread who has advocated SSS is now very concerned about every law of the land, at least how it applies to Obama. And I haven't heard these same people enraged over possible lawbreaking by the last president.

So, people, how about a single standard? And if you are being totally biased, how about at least admitting it?

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
bigbearomaha
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »

luvin honey,

I see you're on the party hack game plan as well.  instead of dealing with the issue as it is, you want to deflect it to someone else.

I am on record as being an independent and as far as I am concerned, none of the politicians we have had in office for so many years has clean hands.

party hack politic game players keep trying to get their own criminals in office so the other camps criminals can't get in there.

The discussion here is about the Obamas situation, here and now, but like your buddy obamalama, you would rather distract and point fingers at other people, from other times, to try to distract others from what is happening here and now.

Yes, you are right, your criminal is not much worse than the last criminal that was there or the criminal before him, etc..

How does that change what the current criminal is doing now though?

Yes,  I know, all the other kids are doing it so whats the big deal.  it doesn't matter if people don't hold to ideals and ethics because no one else is.  yada yada yada.

and we wonder why we have no leadership in our government.  no one expects anything better of them.

I'm done here.  You party hacks have proven my point.

Big Bear
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 11:06:15 PM »

Why are rules just made for us? Rules
melliferal
House Bee

@Checkmite

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »

Do we think Obama is even aware of beekeeping laws in DC?

What's the fine for something like that anyway - $100?  I'm not rich but shoot, I'd pitch in to help keep a beehive on the White House lawn for the month or two that it will take the DC city council (or Congress, through its oversight privilege) to change its archaic beekeeping laws.

I mean come on, what's happening here?  In any other case, in any other town, with any other person, I'm sure we'd all be practically in lockstep about how laws banning beekeeping are anachronistic and baseless and they should be changed.  But OP doesn't even suggest the law should be changed.  All we're supposed to care about is using the circumstance as convenient vector to attack The Evil President?

Guys, his term's almost over.  Even if he's re-elected, it's a couple of years and he'll just be gone.  Somebody else will be there - maybe your best friend.  Would we rather maintain the status quo, so that there were no bees at the White House, purely for the sake of being able to call the current president a HORRIBLE CRIMINAL (gasp!), or do you think it's more constructive to use the President's influence to change D.C.'s beekeeping ordinance, perhaps setting a precedent (pun not wholly intended) that will help us overturn like ordinances elsewhere in the country?  Come on people, there's a real opportunity here, if we can rise above political cheap-shotting.

Obama is not the beekeeper.  In fact, he's not the property owner either, so technically he cannot possibly be the one violating the ordinance.

Recently moved; re-keeping in 2014.
beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 08:23:43 AM »

Wow, Big Bear

For someone who rants about people changing subjects, you did a great job of NOT answering Luvin's question (about whether or not you've actually read the D.C. law) by redirectlng things to your Oh so tired, and pointless rant about party hacks and partisan games. 

Oh, by the way, I hear those same exact words on Hannity, Beck, Savage, Bortz and Limbaugh on a regular basis. So don't imagine you're fooling anyone about where your information comes from. Like them, you're simply not forthright enough to admit who and what you really are.  You'd rather play games yourself by claiming independence. 

You can play the independent/isolationist card and not really have to stand for anything or put the courage of your convictions into action of any sort.  Which is ironic when actions vs. words seems to be how you judge everyone else.

bigbearomaha
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 09:26:25 AM »

No, it means I don't play the games of party politics like you do.

She did not ask me that question, she put it out to anyone, or don't you read?
and my "rant" as you call it, is nothing more than calling out people like you who would rather play political games instead of doing things as they should.

Where you try to find ways around things, others of us just want to get things done the way the constitution intended them to be.

You can read all you want about those media folks into this,  I have never given any indication that  I even pay attention to those people.  but you go ahead and follow your talking points that the political parties keep handing to you. 

The more you talk, the more you show yourself for a party hack who can't or won't think for themselves.

BUT,

That's your choice to be a sheep.

more power to you.

hope it works out for you.

Big Bear
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »

jail for obama! grin  He'd do the same for me! grin
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 11:24:27 AM »

Every worthwhile leader I've ever worked with or around has been meticulously honest, direct, and disciplined. If s/he wanted to do something that didn't comply with the law, s/he would address the issue head on and fight the wrongful restriction with complete candor.
Every crappy leader I've ever known to be hogging air better spent on decent people; would lie, obfuscate, and throw others under the bus to justify, excuse, or direct attention away from their own actions.
I couldn't give you a political break down on who is which, but I tend to know the overall pattern.

be happy and make others happy.
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2010, 12:26:16 PM »

Seriously, bigbear, I am quite very honestly simply stating that this thread is hypocritical. If we want the law to apply to everyone all the time, great. If we only want it to apply to people we don't like, then just admit that.

And, seriously, does anyone honestly think Obama is "lying, obfuscating, throwing others under the bus, excusing or redirection attention" regarding the bees in the garden? For real, people. They probably barely register in his consciousness.

For all of you so outraged, I'm amazed that you don't believe his attention belongs on more important things that also outrage you, such as our nation's debt, war, the polarizing of politics and class in America, the environment, the oil spill, etc.

As for being called a "sheep," bigbear, I'm so weary of people throwing that out as an insult to anyone who doesn't agree with them. I actually am not following politics right now. Too busy canning, cooking, working, biking, living--unfortunately not beekeeping. I have no idea what is happening politically, so I don't believe I can be mindlessly following the masses. I don't even own a TV. I get the Sunday paper, and I haven't read the political sections for a while.

Again, if this thread were on a Republican president's appalling choice to have an illegal rainforest parakeet in his house, I also could not care less. IF it is illlegal for the White House to have bees, then hopefully someone will let the president know. A little hard to believe that the people around him would not protect him better than to allow an illegal situation on the White House grounds.

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
bigbearomaha
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2010, 02:20:27 PM »

I would like for both you honey and the other one there to really read this and pay close attention to what I write as this will be my last post on this.

I never said Obama was "lying, obfuscating, throwing others under the bus, excusing or redirection attention" regarding the bees in the garden? "

what   I said, if you care to actually go back and read it, was that Obama is the president and he is responsible for what happens at the white house.  the bees were placed on the grounds at his direction.

I said that Obama is NOT a beekeeper, neither is Michelle, they only wanted the hives placed to get the honey to complement Michelle's "healthy eating" kick and likely had no knowledge, awareness or concern for local ordinances about it.

I expressed my opinion that Obama is a "do as I say, not as i do" type of person.  That is my opinion and you can not like it all day long.

That is what  I said.  go ahead, go back through the posts and you will realize I am not making that up.

You and the other person are the ones trying to compare Obamala to other presidents and trying to otherwise take the discussion away from the topic, which is if Obamas hives ( those would be the ones he directed his staff member to place on the property, thus making them his hives, his directive).

No one was talking about anyone else till you both brought them up.

It wasn't until later in the discussion, some people started trying to minimalize the idea that not following laws is un-important as long as other people do it.  Which I think is a busload of BS.  We are each individually responsible for following the laws regardless of whether other people break them or not.  it's a crappy excuse is all it is.

and yet again, in that sub discussion, instead of staying on topic about Obama, who this thread is about, some people insisted on trying to divert attention to other people.  talk about not being able to stay focused.

I have one agenda when it comes to politics and that agenda is the constitution. period.  my posting record here, for those who care to look, will confirm that.

I defy being labeled as a liberal, conservative, or any single political party.   I think there are some folks, when it comes to political discussion, who are disingenuous and try to promote a party agenda, which is the one thing  I disagree with the most.  if every American is not supporting the U.S. Constitution, then they are not for all the American people, only their "own" affiliation.

That's my opinion.  you don't have to agree with it, that's your constitutional right and  I will support that.

Now I am done,  I have clarified enough for any reasonable person and I will not play partisan games with you any longer.

Big Bear
Bee Happy
Super Bee

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2010, 03:14:34 PM »

I haven't accused Obama of doing anything with regard to the bees. I can honestly say that the issue of beekeeping being illegal in Washington DC was never directly addressed by his administration or the reporters covering the apiary.

Mason
House Bee

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2010, 03:28:11 PM »

For all of you so outraged, I'm amazed that you don't believe his attention belongs on more important things that also outrage you, such as our nation's debt, war, the polarizing of politics and class in America, the environment, the oil spill, etc.

Make no mistake.  I do not approve of the Obama administrations policies just in case someone didn't get it.  Giving a Brazilian oil company 2 billion dollars (with a B) of tax payer money for oil research of the coast of Brazil that all of the oil will be sold to China, only because the oil companies majority share holder is Sortos a major contributor to the Oabama campaign I find much more disturbing than a couple of illegal bee hives.  I do think that it illustrates quite clearly our Presidents willingness to ignore any law both small or large that politically gives him an advantage.  There doesn't seem to be any moral guidance of his decision and merely politically motivated.

On the subject of comparing our new criminal to the old ones.  We elected them.  It's our job to vote them out and get in some real statesman instead of lawyers and career politicians regardless of party affiliation.  The Democrats have been in power of both the Senate and the House for the past 10 years.  Much of the Bush blaming is misplaced aggression.  People don't like the excessive spending of Bush or Obama.  Who sets the budget?  The House...that's correct.  Who was in charge of the House and Senate during the Clinton administration accept for his first 2 years.  The Republicans,  just shout out the answers if you know them. 

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »

Every worthwhile leader I've ever worked with or around has been meticulously honest, direct, and disciplined. If s/he wanted to do something that didn't comply with the law, s/he would address the issue head on and fight the wrongful restriction with complete candor.
Every crappy leader I've ever known to be hogging air better spent on decent people; would lie, obfuscate, and throw others under the bus to justify, excuse, or direct attention away from their own actions.I couldn't give you a political break down on who is which, but I tend to know the overall pattern.
big bear--this is who said it.

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2010, 03:47:19 PM »

Oh, I am, but the little things in life translate that much more into the big things.  If somebody says they are going to get a "rescue" dog and then accepts a $1500 trained dog, I sure don't want that person dictating my future.  If somebody is so focused on their image that they pretend in their garden and put bees out where they don't really belong, I don't want that person telling me how to raise my kids or what my kids future is going to look like.

I'd rather have a man of substance who can't speak all that well rather than an empty expensive suit who can read a teleprompter really really well.

If Mr. Obama really wanted to show that he lived what he meant, he'd wouldn't put a bee hive on the white house lawn.  He'd don a beesuit and a veil and go stick his nose in a beehive just like the rest of us do.   

But that will never happen.  Not enough substance there.

Rick
CountryBee
House Bee

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2010, 04:18:51 PM »

"Every worthwhile leader I've ever worked with or around"  Bee Happy- what kind of job do you have?  I am in the lower, lower, lower, hard working american blue coller class.  What do you do, just curious?   Thanks, Country Smiley
Bee Happy
Super Bee

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2010, 05:06:08 PM »

"Every worthwhile leader I've ever worked with or around"  Bee Happy- what kind of job do you have?  I am in the lower, lower, lower, hard working american blue coller class.  What do you do, just curious?   Thanks, Country Smiley

It doesn't matter, to be honest. A leader is anyone who runs a team, and may or may not have higher ranking people to answer to. I never worked directly for or with politicians, but any good boss with a decent dose of honor and intergrity knows how to lead by example. - And then there are the sleazebags, the ones who expense personal items to company accounts, 'borrow' people on the clock for personal tasks etc... I've worked for various forms of both in small and large companies.

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2010, 05:31:57 PM »

For a short time my father was a police chief in a small town. He would have written a ticket to his mother or his wife if she were caught speeding in his town. He was there to enforce the law and he followed the law on and off duty.

Do you feel cops should be writing you tickets for traffic violations when you see them breaking traffic laws? I don't think they should, unless they write themselves tickets when they do it. Do I speed? Yes. Do I think law enforcement officers should? No. Lead by example.

I think that is basically what is being said here.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2010, 05:45:23 PM »

Lead by example.

I think that is basically what is being said here.
Hey, I can agree with that! Very simply and well put.

I would just add "Don't be hypocritical." Don't break beekeeping laws yourself, or be glad others do, AND then criticize the White House for (possibly--has anyone actually confirmed this?!?) doing so.

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next