Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 11:48:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [b]How, Why did the bees eat 25 LBS of honey in 1.1/2 days?[/b]  (Read 1307 times)
bees in gray
New Bee

« on: August 22, 2010, 02:21:03 PM »

Had about 25 lbs of honey in a shallow super Friday, all frames were at least 75% capped. I put the bee escape board under the super with triangle facing down, put the cover on and slid cover back to even block the inner cover vent. Saturday there were thousands of bees flying all around my 3 hives and robbing. Thousands of dead bees around my hives. Today, Sunday I go out to take my honey and the super was filled with bees and ALL the honey was eaten, ALL OF IT!!!
All I had to do is blow the bees out of the super with air on Friday?
Lesson learned!! Earlier in the season I had a super almost 1/2 full, went back to add a 2nd super a week later and all the honey was gone. What is going on?
   And one of my hives is has over wintered 4 years now and I have not got a single once of honey from it. I've requeened it last year. What am I doing wrong?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »

1st thing...where are you?  you can put your location in your profile.

some years are bad.  last year and the year before i barely got enough honey for my own use.  this year was a bumper crop.

i'm not sure how your super got robbed out if you had it closed with the escape board on.  was the super off the hive?  there must have been a way for the robbers to get inside. maybe you can clarify that part?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 07:32:36 PM »

you may also get more help if you have one of the moderators move your post to general beekeeping

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 07:59:58 AM »

The bees only need a little hole to start the robbing.  The bee escape made it so the hive couldn't defend it against the bees getting in.  That would be my guess.  I use a combination of Bee-quick and a shop-vac blower to get the bees out.

As to the other honey....if they have a dearth, especially earlier in the summer, they will eat whatever they need to keep the brood alive.  Location can help pinpoint these problems as northern states won't have a problem as quickly with dearth early in the season.

Rick
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 08:08:36 AM »

Yup, you was robbed, you see, bees are good it  Cry
bailey
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 10:15:05 PM »

how do they eat 25 lbs of honey in 2 days?
with a big sweet tooth grin.
bailey

most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »

Bailey I'd end up in a diabetic coma if i ate that much honey in 2 days  grin 

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
bailey
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 10:24:14 PM »

but there are a few thousand of them! grin

most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next