Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 17, 2014, 10:02:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chainsawed his thigh  (Read 2689 times)
winginit
House Bee

« on: August 20, 2010, 09:25:39 AM »

BF's Wild Thang chain saw is nearing the end of it's life. He has to get a bunch of trees removed quickly for his new pond, and bought a cheap chain saw at Home Depot--not that much cheaper than the Wild Thing money wise but much cheaper in quality. I'm seriously worried about his health. The new chain saw is ricketty and takes a long time to stop rotating after he releases it. It may in fact keep turning while in neutral. He's become mum on the details as I have gotten more worried.

He is working on a steep hill (for the road to the pond), and definitely not employing safe practices, as trees don't fall easily with grape vines holding them together. He chain sawed his thigh the other day, just a minor cut, but he won't go out and buy a new chain saw because he just spent $140 on one. Told me to get him one for his birthday, which isn't until December.

I need to go out and buy him a good chain saw today. Stihl? Other suggestions? I'd pay good money if it was worth it, but maybe the Wild Thing is fine?
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:38:46 AM »

I just bought a Stihl and am pleased with it. Plenty of torque, starts easily every time. Could he tighten the chain down a little so it doesnt free wheel as much?

Who makes the Wild Thing? Poulan?
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:50:51 AM »

I have loved my Stihl...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 10:09:54 AM »

I thought they all had a brake. When you release the handle they stop. Perhaps it needs adjusting?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 11:00:04 AM »

my husbands big saw is a Stihl.  my 'girl' saw is a Husqvarna.  they have both been good for us and require only the usual maintenance.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
winginit
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »

He fixes his chainsaw all the time, sharpens it, new chains, etc.

Wild Thing is a Poulan, I think. We laughed when we bought it, but it served him well. Still, he deserves one that doesn't break all the time. Stihl sounds like a winner.
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 12:49:10 PM »

Stihl and Husqvarna are both good, but perhaps even more important, what brand can you buy and get serviced locally?

You may also want to consider some chainsaw chaps:
http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/chain-saw-protective-wrap-around-chaps.html
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 01:18:50 PM »

I use a husqvarna for falling trees and stihl for cutting fire wood the husqvarna turns a higher rpm then the stihl and gets them off the stump faster. But the stihl is a great all around saw.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
mtnmanky
New Bee

Sun Mon Tues Wed Thu Fri Sat. see, is no someday!

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »

I have two chainsaws...one is a Stihl...the other one is for sale.

buy from a dealer, not a "box house", if you want it serviced. 

just my experience.

danno
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 03:14:47 PM »

Say Husk like corn and varnish without the ish and naw like naw I dont any other chainsaw or trimmer.   Wild Things are disposable saws.  Run them until they quit, throw they in the trash and buy another
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 03:35:40 PM »

BF's Wild Thang chain saw is nearing the end of it's life. He has to get a bunch of trees removed quickly for his new pond, and bought a cheap chain saw at Home Depot--not that much cheaper than the Wild Thing money wise but much cheaper in quality. I'm seriously worried about his health. The new chain saw is ricketty and takes a long time to stop rotating after he releases it. It may in fact keep turning while in neutral. He's become mum on the details as I have gotten more worried.

He is working on a steep hill (for the road to the pond), and definitely not employing safe practices, as trees don't fall easily with grape vines holding them together. He chain sawed his thigh the other day, just a minor cut, but he won't go out and buy a new chain saw because he just spent $140 on one. Told me to get him one for his birthday, which isn't until December.

I need to go out and buy him a good chain saw today. Stihl? Other suggestions? I'd pay good money if it was worth it, but maybe the Wild Thing is fine?

Chainsaws are not toys, yet some of us " Men" tend to treat them and the activity as so. I think you need to intervene, buy a new one or you'll end up looking for a new BF.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 04:10:09 PM »

Does you BF cut much wood or is this a one time thing?   If he does not cut much, keep in mind the cheap saw will  give out soon.  And before spending $500 on a good saw, look into some chaps to save his legs, and some saw boots also.   

But Stihl and Husqvarna are both good.   Johnsonred is good also.   Look for the european made saws.   All of those are good.   Asian saws are disposable.
winginit
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 05:23:05 PM »

He chain saws quite a bit, trying to maintain our view of the valley below. This is on a very steep hill. Picture him standing on a tree that's already been sawed through, jumping up and down trying to get it to fall. Reaching out to chop the grape vines. Chain sawing other trees that also won't fall. Squatting down as they all fall toward him at once.

Picture me sitting on the deck with gallons of wine, trying to stay calm as I listen to make sure the chain saw is still going. And enjoying my view. evil

Don't think the chaps will work as he needs to be nimble. But the boots sound like a good Christmas present.

BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 05:42:34 PM »

He chain saws quite a bit, trying to maintain our view of the valley below. This is on a very steep hill. Picture him standing on a tree that's already been sawed through, jumping up and down trying to get it to fall. Reaching out to chop the grape vines. Chain sawing other trees that also won't fall. Squatting down as they all fall toward him at once.

Picture me sitting on the deck with gallons of wine, trying to stay calm as I listen to make sure the chain saw is still going. And enjoying my view. evil

Don't think the chaps will work as he needs to be nimble. But the boots sound like a good Christmas present.

grin
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 06:33:39 PM »

Chaps would not slow you do a bit.     Look into them.
winginit
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 07:57:08 PM »

Chaps would not slow you do a bit.     Look into them.

Ok, just one question. Would you wear them?
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »

No I do not wear them, but I never cut on slopes too steep.  Big trees on flat land.  
Either in high school or college, I did get my baggie pants caught in the chain of my saw, but it never caught skin thank goodness.  That bar brake did not work on that saw.   In college I was downing trees with a guy would did not know much about saws and he did cut his leg, just stitches, he was lucky.  You learn to watch you bar.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »

I wear chaps...but only on date night grin

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
winginit
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 08:46:23 AM »

I wear chaps...but only on date night grin

banana devil

Doesn't work for everyone, especially with a chainsaw in your hand!
bigbearomaha
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »

I have a poulan Wild Thing .  It's been a good saw for me had it for about 3 years now.

mind you,  I only use it to cut small trees and limbs in my yard and friends yards.

If you take care of your tools right and use them the way they are meant to be used, they will often last much longer.

He manning it around chain saws is just not smart.

Big Bear
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next