Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 10:07:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Combining two hives  (Read 583 times)
dp
House Bee

« on: August 26, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »

I've got a very weak hive and an up and coming hive with a strong queen.  I'd like to combine them.

Got a few questions:

1) if I do the newspaper between the two deeps, do both hives need an entrance, or will the upper hive eat through the paper quick enough to survive?

2) Currently, these hives are about 20' apart.  If I combine them, won't I have problems with them going back to their old spot?

3) Is it best to combine them in the evening when most of the bees have returned?

Any suggestions would be helpful.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:23:39 AM »

1.  two entrances

2. yes, but....take all equipment away from old site.  they will figure it out.  they'll either find their hive or join your other hives.  sometimes it takes a couple of days.

3. that's what i do.  i'd think early morning before foragers are out would work ok also.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
winginit
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:31:50 PM »

I have the same problem, but the strong hive is nastier and I want to preserve the queen from the weaker hive. The natural hive is weak because it was started late and is possibly being robbed by stronger hive, but both queens are good layers.

When do I get rid of the queen from the pissy hive?

VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:59:30 PM »

I would get rid of your nasty queen about 24 hours prior to when you want to combine. Much longer than that, and you will start to see an abundance of queen cells.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next