Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 01, 2014, 09:12:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: marcellus drilling  (Read 1467 times)
slacker361
Field Bee

« on: August 16, 2010, 07:32:49 PM »

had a gentleman at my house today wanting to pay me money to let them go under my property to get natural gas.

anybody have any dealings with this
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »

used to be pretty common.  especially in CA back in the old days.  everyone wanted to put in an oil well on any piece of land. 

can you do some research on the company.  maybe ask for references and a sample contract.  check with the powers that be to see if there are complaints against the company, etc.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:14:09 PM »

Before i signed anything,I would get a lawyer to protect my side. The contracts are written in favor of the gas companies.Many times the lease can automatically renew without your consent,and some have given up all mineral rights,not just gas rights. Find out what most people get paid,many times the first people in an area to sign on sell out too low,only to be mad when they find out what others have received for their rights.And find out about royalties too.many people miss out on this.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:29:35 AM »

Find out what other companies are paying your neighbors in the area around you to get the best price and talk to the other people with wells on their land to see if they feel they are happy with what they are getting or treated. 
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 02:48:42 PM »

had a gentleman at my house today wanting to pay me money to let them go under my property to get natural gas.

anybody have any dealings with this

Interesting. Are you near Wellsboro, Pa along the Rt.15/I-99 Corridor ?
slacker361
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 03:19:32 PM »

no i am in beaver county
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 06:31:23 AM »

The Mennonites in the Wellsboro areas have been leasing their land or sold some of it  to companies extracting natural gas. They're loaded now $$$$$$$.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »

It is like free money.   Unearned potential.  Or a second job that you do not have to work.
slacker361
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 09:37:42 AM »

its not that much money unless you have large sum of land, i only have 5 acres, my concerns are the chemicals they dump down the hole to extract the gas, some are very hazardous, and they say it is only .5% of all the water they dump down the whole, the problem is 10ml of one chemical will kill you, and they are dumping thousands of gallons down the whole, plus many other chemicals, and no study on the synergistic effects of the combination of these chemicals.  according to the DEP "we are learning as we go"

winginit
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 09:17:21 AM »

I researched hydrofracking for my last company and wrote a report on it. Can't share it here as I expect that is material owned by the company that paid me to write it. But if your guy is talking about hydraulic fracturing, as I suspect he is, just say NOOOO. And I'll find that report and refresh my memory on the subject. What is the name of the company?
slacker361
Field Bee

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 11:49:34 AM »

Chesapeake energy, the problem is if i say noooo it is still going to happen   
winginit
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 12:44:26 PM »

Yes, Chesapeake is a big hydrofracker. So here's the skinny:

Hydrofracking is the main source of coalbed methane gas recovery. Essentially, the ground is cracked (fractured) and the gas is released from the coal. There have been many complaints of water quality and quantity problems and documented reports of increased levels of methand and hydrogen sulfide in homes in areas of hydrofracking. Not to mentione explosions (I kid you not).

The EPA published a study in 2004/2005. I read much of the study (hundreds of pages). It was clear that the conclusions were not written by the same authors as the rest of the study. I think there was a whistleblower report by the lead author, as the Cheney Whitehouse got involved in the conclusions.

Halliburton and one other company (possibly Chesapeake) was using benzene for hydrofracking, which is highly cancerous. They agreed to stop using benzene, but there is no penalty if they reneg and other companies didn't sign up for the same agreement. Cheney pushed through an exemption to the Clean Water Act whereby hydrofrackers do not have to disclose the chemicals they use. It's referred to as the "Halliburton loophole."

The original EPA report is hard to find, though not impossible. Search on the title below, then you have to click on each chapter. U.S.

Environmental Protection Agency, Evaluation of Impacts to Underground Sources of Drinking Water by Hydraulic Fracturing of Coalbed Methane Reservoirs, EPA 816-D-02-006, June 2004, p. 7-3, http://www.epa.gov/OGWDW/uic/wells_coalbedmethanestudy.html.
winginit
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »

If you want to see what it looks like in Wyoming, go to Google maps and plug this in: 42.4417, -109.7278

Looks different in Pennsylvania, but I don't have those locations handy.

Main companies doing hydrofracking might include Halliburton, Schlumberger, Weatherford, Cabot, Encana, Chesapeake, and Range Resources.
slacker361
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 03:40:02 PM »

thanks for all the info on this, unfortunately , there is nothing that I can do , if the neighbors sign up and I dont they only have to stay away from my place by 1000 feet, the drill site will still be only 1 mile away from my home and although they say they will build a private road to bring in all supplies I can bet that they will be driving right down my street with the stuff.  so basically I am screwed no matter what I do.
winginit
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 05:16:06 PM »

They stopped it in NY. Call your representatives and the media and your neighbors. Also the Pennsylvania DEP, for both sides of the story. When I looked at this over a year ago, my main concern for Penn was the issue of water contamination. Find out if the DEP requires disclosure of the chemicals to be used for hydrofracking and if they will test to make sure the companies are using the chemicals they say they are. Also find out what wastewater treatment processes will be used on the holding ponds, and what will be done with the water after it is treated. Those holding ponds in Wyoming sure do look abandoned, don't they?

Read the EPA study, you'll find smoking guns. Not in the conclusions, though.

And for what it's worth, the companies' claims that they can't release the chemical names does not compute in my mind. They say it will hurt them if their competitors get the information. But you don't have competitors knocking on your door. Even is a large bidding situation, I suspect that the real issue is on the cost side. There are likely to be chemicals that are more cost effective, and just possibly, those chemicals are also more dangerous to the water supply. When the companies found themselves under fire in NY, they started to back off the need for utter secrecy on the chemicals they were using, and it seems like they could find chemicals that are known to be safe. This might hurt their profits a bit, but they'll still make plenty of money and not risk the water supply.

It's been reported that Halliburton makes $1.5b a year on hydrofracking. I don't know if that is true. Check out Chesapeake's and Halliburton's 10Ks on their web sites (usually under Investor Relations) and you might also find out that you and your neighbors are being seriously underpaid. The Marcellus Shale is huge and there is a lot of money to be made; it's a good bet that some of your reprsentatives are getting contributions from these companies.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next