Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 02, 2014, 07:56:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: extracting frames with pollen in them?  (Read 734 times)
goertzen29
House Bee

« on: August 07, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »

I tried some top entrances this year and like the simplicity of them but they both have an interesting comb pattern.  The front 1/3 being filled with pollen and the back 2/3 filled with honey.  Just about every frame in the supers are like that.  Now that the honey is mostly capped I'm wondering if I can extract like this or will all the pollen come out of the comb with the honey?

Is this common for top entrances? 
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »

i don't know about your entrance question, but i wouldn't worry about the pollen.  most people would consider it a + in their honey.  if you are straining it as you extract, you'll get the big bits. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
goertzen29
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:23:41 PM »

I guess I was wondering if the pollen would come out in chunks which would filter out nicely or little bits which may not.  I'm not opposed to pollen in my honey I just don't think I want big chunks if it and I just run my honey through window screen so it only get the big stuff.

Also I noticed some of the pollen appears to have honey on top of it, so I was wondering if that would flavor my honey?
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:16:06 PM »

The pollen will not come out.  You need to match pollen combs on opposite sides of the extractor to balance it.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next