Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 28, 2014, 05:46:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about splitting my hives  (Read 1829 times)
beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 11:04:29 AM »

I'm a first year beek as well, so take this with a grain of salt, and please correct me (anybody) if I'm wrong.

My concern in splitting now is that they won't have time to build back up before winter.  I know your winters are not bad, but who knows what this year will bring. Even so, you might have a dearth in the fall and they could well starve in even a mild winter.

You could always give them more room now to limit swarming and reduce the size back down as the queen slows her laying later in the fall.  Maybe give her another medium now and when she starts to reduce for winter cluster you can combine the mediums so she has enough winter brood room and plenty of stores.  Freeze whatever stores don't fit and give them back to her if needed over the winter ( in the event you have an unseasonably brutal winter).

If you are having swarm issues, I'd forget about honey collection for this year and solve the swarm issue.

Just my $.02
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 04:04:33 PM »

Do you suggest putting the old queen in the split or let them make their own? I'm thinking about doing the split now, hopefully I'll have a good strong hive by spring. I don't know if this will work, but it couldn't hurt, could it?
[/quote]

Use the old queen in your 5 frame. This way insures that the hive you took her from has sufficient numbers to rear themselves another queen.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next