My uncle (age approximately 75), who has kept bees about 50 years, has decided to get rid of his bees and graciously offered to give me his 16 hives. We are both located in North Carolina about 120 miles apart. There is no urgency in moving the hives; however I would appreciate any insight into the best timing for the move. Would it be better to get them within the next few weeks, wait until the temps cool down in mid-fall, or wait as long as January or Feb? Also, in terms of the actual move itself, does it make more sense to try and move them all at dusk/dark? I have moved several hives locally, and usually do so as it is getting dark. I guess if I did the move later in the year when temps are about freezing I could move the hives during the day. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.