Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 24, 2014, 04:50:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the garden squash bug invasion  (Read 818 times)
slacker361
Field Bee

« on: July 23, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »

squash bug invasion
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:18:13 PM »

When we had a garden we would spray those bugs everyday with water and dish washing detergent.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 09:41:07 PM »

We put up with them every year.  I have not used Seven in years and they are everywhere.   I spray oil whenever I can but it don't work when it rains every afternoon.  We plant new rows every 3 to 4 weeks and keep them separated just to keep up with those boogers.  It's just part of the game.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:12:28 PM »

I sprinkle my plants with white powdered lime, so I don't have those things. Haven't seen one this year.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:15:54 PM »

What does the lime do besides raise the PH?   You put in all over the plants and what about when it rains every afternoon?   I may try it this weekend.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 11:58:30 PM »

I've seen those little guys, but they never have caused any problem for me, as annoying as they are.

What I have to deal with are the EVIL SQUASH VINE BORERS!!  AAARRRGHHH!!!

Do a google image search, they are little moths that look like wasps, hard to spot, they only lay less than 5-10 eggs on a plant but those dirty little buggers get right down in that stem by the root and tear it up.  The whole plant will die even though the leaves are almost intact.  The leaves will start wilting and turn yellow and then die, over the course of about a week.

Hmm....check those stems!!  You might be suprised to see some "maggot" type things in the stems.

You can limit them by putting stuff(poison, lime, diatomatious earth,etc) on the stems where they lay the eggs, carefully cutting the stems open and impaling the worm, and also piling dirt on the damaged stems.

That's my experience, anyway, for what it is worth.

Rick

Rick
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 07:50:49 AM »

I lightly cover the plants with it. It normally takes more than one rain to remove it. It repels many kinds of insects, while raising the PH of the soil.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next