Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: are you a tightwad?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline G3farms

• Queen Bee
Re: are you a tightwad?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 01:00:33 AM »
550 foot pounds per second = 1 horsepower
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 10:20:55 PM »
So my 30-06 has 5 horse power at the muzzle?    2820 ft. lbs. at the muzzle.

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 10:27:45 PM »
True Tight wad!!!  Had an annual pt test and we had the choice of running in boots or tennis shoes.  I didn't own any tennis shoes but the idea of running in them and them being so much lighter convinced me.  I went to Dunhams sports.  They let you buy a pair of shoes and keep them for up to thirty days and return them if you don't like them.  They cant be worn or scuffed or anything.   I took them out of the box, ran the pt test, put them back in the box and took them back to Dunhams,  didn't likem,  realy, if I had likedem I would have already had a pair. 

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 08:40:18 PM »
My dear wife gets lots of clothes at goodwill and garage sales. 

Rick,

Ever been to the main Goodwill on Prairie St in Grandville on a Friday? Every item is 50 cents. I haven't been in around 4 years, but what a zoo. Good bargains to be had!

Jay

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »
I have never been a tightwad, never will. Until recently, I've spent money like there was no tomorrow and that has gotten me into trouble, nowadays, I'll ask myself " do I need it " and if so, " Do I need the expensive one or the cheap one " ?

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 02:03:37 PM »
Nope. We have a horse...and chickens, cats, dog, duck, bees, etc. My Dad, a car nut and talented tight wad, asked me why on earth I was paying all that money for a horsepower of one. I reminded him of his boat.

So far, I don't see anything cheap about bees, either. My and my two idle queen excluders are happy though.

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 02:47:01 PM »
i think you can be a tightwad and have toys.  i have horses and bees. they both cost me money and enable me to earn none.  i enjoy them.  to have them, i squeeze the money to support them out of other things.  + we have no debt other than the mortgage, so it's not such a hard thing to do.
One could not learn history from architecture any more than one could learn it from books. Statues, inscriptions, memorial stones, the names of streets ? anything that might throw light upon the past had been systematically altered. (1.8.85)

George Orwell  "1984"

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
Kathy, I agree. No debt except the mortgage plus living below our means has changed our lives. I'm unemployed, looking for a job, and not even worried. I had a month of extreme penny pinching when I first got laid off, but that was just a reaction. Seven months later, I'm totally relaxed. So clearly it's time to go back to work and get stressed again. Sigh.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »
No debt except the mortgage plus living below our means has changed our lives.
Exactly. It's a wonderful place to be.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

anything