Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 01:30:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things you can't get out of your head.  (Read 2736 times)
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« on: June 30, 2010, 08:01:55 PM »

Ever have one of those things that is so simply in it's basis, yet nags at you constantly?

Here is one of mine.

I was on a collage campus in Ohio awhile back. I had to use the public restroom. I'll forego the details.  grin

Anyway, I read a slogan on the wall that read....

"Everyday, I feel the faults and transgressions of my parents to the very core of my bones!"

My knee jerk response was "You little turd! I bet your unappreciative butt is still living off your parents. How nice to come here to this college and spew crap about them while they are footing the bill.

But as time passed, I keep asking questions....

Did this guy grow up actually feeling this way, or was it programmed once at college by some indoctrination?

Was this guy's parents actually that bad or was there a disconnect and many factors that went into this attitude?

Does he have a loving relationship with his parents? How can you write such things yet sit at the same table with them at the holiday dinner?

Did some faculty member write this to encourage and further some indoctrination of young minds?

Will my kids grow up with the same thought process?

It just nags at me. I had problems with certain things my parents did in years past. That is why they are one generation and I was in the next. They did some stupid things, and I'm sure my kids will look back after 20 years and feel the same. But I never stopped loving my parents or felt the need to write such thoughts on walls in the disrespectful manner as this guy.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »

if a child has a firm foundation, they will return to it....no matter how far astray they  may go.  when i left home i had a brief love affair with liberalism.  after all, life didn't seem fair and i really, really, wanted to fix that.  in the back of my mind i kept hearing my father..."life isn't fair.  now what?".  it didn't take long for me to understand that you can whine, or work.  not long after that....i came to my senses and returned to my roots.   grin
it's the roots that matter.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:12:49 PM »

I think that is true. I often forget that.

I held a job since I was 12, paid my own way, joined the military after school, and went on to maturity. (Or at least to the level I am at now...  grin  ) Just seemed that making money, partying, and chasing girls was as much as I though for most of my twenties. I had such a blast, I never had any grand ideas of changing the world. I loved it.

Seems now however, there is much I could change.... grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:23:50 PM »

My loving, nurturing father chained my oldest brother to a tree and beat him until he was unconscious. He would bring blood with a 50 in. leather belt each swing. Being a barber, he used the razor strop on the side of the barber chair many times. A buggy whip was also used many times. Maybe some kids just have reasons for doing things you don't understand.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:30:26 PM »

no doubt some do.  at some point we make choices.  we are responsible for our choices.  even if someone has a bad upbringing, bad choices or the inability to make good choices, should not be excused.  there is some difference between teenage rebellion and a sociopath.  besides, a bad kid might be returning to his roots....this would make the argument for good parenting that much stronger......

i don't think BB was talking about extremes.  just wondering if external influences can be stronger than upbringing.  i think not, in the long run.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 08:36:15 PM »

Kathy, many extremes of today were the norm of 50 years ago.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 08:49:33 PM »

i think beating a child unconscious would have been considered extreme even 50 years ago.  i got my share of welts from the belt, but not in anger and no blood drawn.

Alexis de Tocqueville
harvey
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »

I think it started with free yard sticks, then the little paddles with the red rubber ball then fly swatters and lava soap, then to a switch, then a chunk of 1 by something.  Took a lot to teach me little.  I was never scared of my folks although I definately had my share of welts.  Now I am a shift commander in a prison and have been working inside for 21 years.  I believe the majority of the younger prisoners would have turned out much different if there parents would have taught them some respect,  Most of the younger prisoners don't even respect themselves let alone anyone else.  Now teachers cant dicipline, God is out of our schools!  So much we have let society go to be nicer to our children.  I believe in general we are doing an injustice to our children and society by not teaching them respect.  I don't think beating a kid is a good thing however I don't believe in back talk or disrespect to other either.  Now what was this thread about?  Got to ramblin sorry.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 10:15:34 PM »

Not to change the subject, but has anyone gotten "it's a small world after all" stuck in their head? Geez that's annoying grin

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 10:20:12 PM »

Honestly it was probably some dopehead trying to be funny.  But it's such a stupid age, between 16 and 25.  I don't think I appreciated my parents until my first was born (ok, so I was 20) and I didn't really realize how stupid I'd been until I see what my own kids do and say and the older ones are 11 and 13.

I think that if it were a real attitude it would be an over indulged child never taught the value of work and consequences, with all the feelings reinforced by some braindead freudian psychology class.

Ironically the saying was probably correct, but the faults of the parents were over indulgence and not enough discipline.

Rick
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 10:37:37 PM »

Not to change the subject, but has anyone gotten "it's a small world after all" stuck in their head? Geez that's annoying grin

Scott

Scott I have to be careful with all music because songs get stuck in my head all the time and take over.   grin
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 11:55:42 PM »

Not to change the subject, but has anyone gotten "it's a small world after all" stuck in their head? Geez that's annoying

crap.....thanks a lot!!!!!!

Alexis de Tocqueville
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 12:36:27 AM »

I can only speak for myself but there came a time in my life where I had to make a decision to accept the realities of life and live my life as a responsible adult.

We all have that little kid inside of us who wants to throw a tantrum when things don't go his/her way.

A responsible adult shuts the kid up and finds a solution to his/her problems and realizes that life and other people are not perfect and tries their very best (in a crazy world) to dwell on the positives, not the negatives.

Take time and smell the roses and stick your finger in that frame of honey, its ok!  grin

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
meade kampe
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 04:53:30 AM »

iddee, I can't get the thought of your poor brother beaten while tied to a tree out of my head!   Cry
bigbearomaha
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 08:07:43 AM »

I have thought of things my parents and their generation did wrong as well.  Even my grandparents and further.

However, I balance that by knowing the things they did right, or made the effort to do right.

Nothing and no one is perfect.

there is nothing wrong with recognizing the imperfections in people.  It's a good learning tool to be able to see what people did and know it was wrong.  Refusing to see when things were done wrong can be as much of a problem as the actual doing.  It is just as good of a learning tool to see when they did good things too.

Learn from these things if we can, that's the best we can do.

Big Bear
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 08:39:04 AM »

Scott
You are just mean tongue Thank's Scott now it's stuck in my head  rolleyes

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »

When our  kids were maybe 6-8yo I could always get that tune stuck in Peggy's head. I'd call over one of the kids and sing "It's sma..." They'd of course finish the verse and have it firmly implanted in their own head(s). They'd sing the song for a bit and it would get stuck in Peggy's head...I don't think she ever even knew I was the one who started it all. I'd get a good laugh out of it...she'd get po'd.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
meade kampe
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 12:32:27 AM »

How about......"We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine."  grin
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 10:03:29 AM »

i am not reading this thread anymore.  at least yellow submarine has enough of a beat that you can lift weights to it.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 10:36:34 AM »

I can't seem to get my Brain outta my head, I wanna trade it in for one with less clutter  cheesy
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next