Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 07:54:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how do you unwind?  (Read 3233 times)
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 06:03:38 AM »

Classic post Brian! That was good.

See, I'm not usually trying to catch my chickens, its my dogs I have to catch, to keep them from eating/killing my chickens!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 07:13:18 AM »

Clever Brian!
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 06:18:35 PM »

Hmmm...Now that the question has been presented....
 I dont wind down....I'm wound down as soon as I walk into the door at work!!!!..I just start getting wound up when I lock the gate leaving work to ho home! Thats when life begins again!
your friend,
john

L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 07:22:22 PM »

I'm with Annette.  I like to watch a good movie and munch on popcorn.  The nice thing about getting old is you can watch all the movies you've seen before (some not even that long ago) and you don't remember what's going to happen next. shocked

I also love to read.  And especially, I love to get on this board and read all the posts and read anything I can find on the internet about bees.  (My husband is hoping this will wearn off soon/someday?Huh?

linda d
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 10:28:32 PM »

I'm with Annette.  I like to watch a good movie and munch on popcorn.  The nice thing about getting old is you can watch all the movies you've seen before (some not even that long ago) and you don't remember what's going to happen next. shocked

I also love to read.  And especially, I love to get on this board and read all the posts and read anything I can find on the internet about bees.  (My husband is hoping this will wearn off soon/someday?Huh?

Your hubby sort of sounds like mine. He is very patient and supportive of my beekeeping, but sometimes I can tell he would like me to wind down a bit regarding it all. But he knows that will not happen. grin
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 10:55:17 PM »

My husband will put up with about anything as long as the honey keeps flowing.

When I first suggested getting bees back in the 1980s, he was adamantly against it.  I got them any way, and within a few weeks, he was so fascinated he wanted his own veil and gloves.  He never gets in the hives, mind you, but he liked to watch me from time to time and wanted some protection. Now he realizes he can walk around the hives without worry.

He mentioned the other day if he wants to find me, the two places he always looks first are either at my computer or by the hives, cause that's where I usually am: either on this site or out watching my girls.

linda d
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »

He sounds nice, your hubby.

You've been keeping bees for a long time, since the 80's. You must have seen many changes in the bees survival since then. The varroa mite wasn't around in the early 80's, must have been a breeze keeping bees then.

tecumseh
House Bee

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 07:21:36 AM »

Annette writes:
The varroa mite wasn't around in the early 80's, must have been a breeze keeping bees then.

tecumseh:
it was not.  it was different but it was still difficult.

relaxing... I can not think of anything more relaxing that tending to the girls or constructing something in my little shop for the girls.

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 07:25:43 AM »

This weekend with the men's group from church.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
L Daxon
Field Bee

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 02:10:09 PM »

Annette,

I kept bees throughout the 1980s, then quit for 20 years when my kids needed the backyard to kick the soccer ball.  But you are right.  I think it was easier for me as a hobbyist back then.  Didn't have/know about varroa or SHB.  It never dawned on me that my bees wouldn't make it through the winter, and they always did.  Kept both in Oklahoma and then in McLean, VA, when husband took a job in D.C.

But there are a couple of things I like a lot better now.  Standardization with all 8 frame mediums (brood and super) is great.  Could have used mediums back then but it wasn't "in vogue."  In fact I have one old book from back then that says mediums were phasing out.   But the biggest change is having something like this forum to exchange information and idea and connect with other beekps.  I think I have learned more about bees in the last 6 mo. on this board that I had learned in those 8-9 years I kept bees back when.  Now you can see things with videos on the internet -- I never even thought about catching swarms back then, but when I saw how easy it was on YouTube I plowed ahead and caught my first swarm at 59! this May.  (I'll be 60 in two weeks).

I could go on and on.  Maybe I will start a thread.  Probably already has been one on differences from decades ago.  Thought I would do a thread in November about everything I learned just this season.  It could be quite long.  And nearly all of what I would list, I learned from the wonderful people on this forum.

P.S.  I am still envious about your "encounter" with Pierce B.

linda d
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 02:55:39 PM »

Meditation, and it prevents being wound up again for a while.

be happy and make others happy.
bigbearomaha
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »

I unwind by reading, writing and telling stories.

I can't say  I am the best writer or story teller, but,  I have had some good moments.

It helps me to escape the "real world" even if only for a short time.

the kids seem to like it when  I get into my own kid stories or re-telling classic stories in my own way.

Big Bear

kbenz
House Bee

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 07:43:36 PM »

watch the bees, hunt, drink beer. not necessarily in that order or combined with one another  grin. although I will have a couple while watching the bees Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next