Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 22, 2014, 05:24:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do You Talk to Your Bees  (Read 3801 times)
beek4018
House Bee

« on: June 23, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »

Just curious...

And if you do, what do you say while you are in there?
greenbtree
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 01:58:18 PM »

Yes, I admit it, I talk to the bees.  To the queen "There you are!" (I don't spot them too often.).  To a recently caught swarm "If you girls don't calm down, I'm going to re-queen you!".  To a persistent guard "Would you just go away?!".  Sometimes I even vocalize the bee's response "Bad Mammal! Bad Mammal!!".
I really don't think they listen, and I really, really don't think they talk back. Really....! grin

JC

"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »

.'
Sometimes I swear them loudly when they sting.

Language barrier NOT included
Pink Cow
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »

No, I really just don't have the time for it after chatting with the chickens and rabbits each day.
beewitch
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 02:42:59 PM »

I talk to my bees the entire time I'm in the beeyard.  I tell them what I'm doing and how I think they're doing.  I'm convinced they listen to me, but sadly, never talk back.  And in the long tradition of "telling the bees", I keep them informed of all household activities.
I do know they (and I) would like a break from the heat in Atlanta...
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 02:48:45 PM »

I remember when I was 9 or so that my mother would walk out to the hives first thing in the morning and bang on each hive while sternly saying "Get to work!".

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
slacker361
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »

I stand out front of the hive with a can of RAID and say "MAKE HONEY or ELSE"  grin
jgaito
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 04:19:51 PM »

i would if i thought they cared about what i had to say.  usually i just ask myself "why are they doing that ?"
bull
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 05:40:11 PM »

All the time ,no one notius's because there thinking he's nuts sitting by those hives in shorts and shirt.
you know they drink my pop but not my beer ? they dont seem to like the smell.
bigbearomaha
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 06:44:37 PM »

Oh yes.   I admit  I do.  actually, been caught at it several times by others so no point in my denying it.

I talk to them, as well as my dog, as  I do other people. 

What's worse is not when  I talk to them, but when I argue with them.  Then, even my normally eccentricities tolerating wife thinks I'm nuts.

Big Bear
Paynesgrey
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 07:25:48 PM »

"Not the face! Not the face !"  evil
(that was my husband, joking)

Yeah, I talk to the bees, but I also talk to the cats, dogs, geese, ducks, chickens, garden, kids, kids' knotted shoelaces, computers and mainframes that lag and crash.... Smiley Some listen better than others. Some talk back.   

Most colorful conversation I've had lately were with some cheap made in China bendable nails and an errant hammerhead. Rather onesided I'd say, though the nails whined about it when I am pulled them back out. Smiley

Bees, we talk to them, but is more talking to each other about them while we work on the hives. Don't expect a bee to respond to "Get off my hand, please....c'mon, move over there...that's right..."

jhs494
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 10:23:51 PM »

Yes! We absolutely talk to them. The wife got me started, she talks to them and they listen. I talk to them and I hear faint laughter.
I feel like they will come and take me to the loony bin soon based on the testimony of the bees.

Joe S.
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 10:40:55 PM »

I do talk to them, but I try to keep it brief, they're pretty busy.

be happy and make others happy.
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 10:45:40 PM »

Yes, I tell them I am grateful for all they do before I approach them.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 03:23:02 AM »

I talk to them.  But I also talk to my horses, and dogs, and grandkids and all of them listen at about the same level...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 07:12:09 AM »

. I talk to them and I hear faint laughter.
I've heard that laughter! A number of times on hot, humid days, I've tried wearing shorts. Without fail, the bees say "Let's make him dance!" and head directly for the back of my knees. I hear them laughing as I run back to the house to put on some jeans.
beek4018
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »

Thanks, Paynesgrey

I did an actual spit take when I rad your husband's comment.

Great responses everyone.

Keep em' coming.

wisconsin_cur
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »

Only when they are really upset; and mostly to calm myself.   Wink

“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” J.R.R. Tolkien

The Back Porch
CAHighwind
New Bee

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 10:25:37 PM »

I do as I hang out near the hives.  They have yet to answer, however.  Maybe I should try speaking in Italian or Russian.
saritacoleman
House Bee

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 11:57:17 PM »

Ya'll are a RIOT!

Thanks for cracking me up!

Tomorrow I'm gearing up and mowing the back yard. I will for sure...be talking to the girls.

Sarita

luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 01:29:49 AM »

You all are hilarious Smiley

Absolutely! I talk to everything, though. My weeds, the garden insects, the chickens and turkeys, and now the bees. And they DO talk to me. I love listening to their colony hum and trying to sense what mood they're in. When they talk back sassy, I have time to yell to my husband and kids to move back, move back!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:37:42 AM by luvin honey » Logged

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 08:47:04 AM »

Ha ha, reading this I realize that I DO talk to my bees too occasionally...when looking for the queen I'll be mumbling  "Where oh where are you, your majesty?".  When I get stung I'll complain and explain to the stupid bee that now she's going to die.  Or apologize when it was my fault and I squished them.  Sometime I tell them to calm down when one starts looking at me suspiciously.

But I agree with the others, they don't listen to me either, just like my kids... rolleyes

Rick
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 09:37:19 AM »

I'm not sure which is more reassuring---the fact that you all talk to your bees, too, or the fact that nobody's kids listen to them (just like mine don't)  grin

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
MarkF
New Bee

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 01:00:49 AM »

What, I'm the only one that tells them where to find the big field of flowers huh

Sting me once shame on you!
Sting me twice I guess I should have learned faster!
AdmiralD
House Bee

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 02:05:14 AM »

Sure, I tell them to check out my flowers in the front yard...and while they are at it, to steal the nectar in the neighbors flowers and then to go find a nice clover lawn or two....and maybe pollenate the wildblackberrys that are growing in thickets around here......

and yes, they don't listen to me either....
lisascenic
House Bee

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 06:47:11 PM »

Each time, before I open the hive, I hold my hands over top cover and say, "I'm calm.  And the bees are calm."  Then a wait a moment, and then I get to work. 

Wow, that sounds really silly, now that I read it.

harvey
House Bee

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 08:06:05 PM »

I talked toem today!  Got probably close to 300 stings!  Not sure what I said but they sure showed me who could holler loudest!  Guess you don't open hives without smoke in a thunderstorm!   Cry
NasalSponge
House Bee

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 11:51:25 AM »

Oh yes...and usually what I say is "Quit it" or "I'm not bothering you"  grin

cbuchh48
New Bee

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 12:14:10 PM »

I spoke to them just yesterday after I dropped a frame. shocked "Oops, sorry, sorry" as I backed away a step or 4. My girls are very forgiving. I've had 2 hives for a couple of months now and haven't been stung yet. I know it's coming but I think they like me. grin I just wear a vail, short sleeve shirt and shorts and sandles. It's HOT here.

Chuck
cheraboo
New Bee

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 05:05:11 PM »

Yup. I talk to the bees. But I also talk to our chickens, turkeys and lambs. I haven't heard any laughter yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time *lol*

Cheryl
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »

Last time we talked, it was a pretty sad conversation. They were sounding confused and frantic, and I was apologizing. A bear had torn their hives apart the night before and I was trying to put them back together. I love the sounds of bees and how much that can tell you. Makes me wonder if I were blind, could I tell as much without all the visual cues?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:34:40 PM by luvin honey » Logged

The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
Astrocycler
New Bee

Location: Osteen, FL (half way between Orlando and Daytona Beach)

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 06:30:27 PM »

Of course.  Animals can sense our stress levels.  So, talking calmly to the bees puts out a calm vibe and the girls are cool with me.  Watch the Dog Whisperer... theory applies to bees too.  BTW, I do not believe they understand a word... kind of like having 80,000 wives:-)

Have fun,

Ed

I know it is going to be a good day when I get up in the morning look back in the bed and I am not in it!

The best part of having grandbrats is I now have people my own age to play with.
winginit
House Bee

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 08:04:03 PM »

Nope. Never. Don't talk to my computer either. Nor the chickens or old deaf dog or horses or wild turtles or stupid house or leaky toilet or broken vacuum cleaner. Also, I've never been known to cuss out an inanimate object when I wham my shin against it.

And I didn't quite yell at my car when I hit the curb, twice, in the post office parking lot. Stupid bleeping car! What's wrong with it? (SHOULD have talked to the pharmacist for not warning me about those antibiotics.)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next