Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 22, 2014, 07:03:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming cutouts questions  (Read 503 times)
gardeningfireman
Field Bee

« on: June 22, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »

I am supposed to do a double cutout this coming Saturday from the soffets of a house. Later on, I have another one behind the T-111 siding of an exterior wall. Should I expose the entire hive before removing? Should I begin at the bottom with the brood comb and work my way up? My first cutout was a disaster; I started at the top and worked down, making everything a sticky mess. Then the bees absconded! Thanks for the advice! Smiley

iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:36:21 PM »

Definitely expose all comb before cutting. Start at bottom, cut to brood. Cut up both sides, in until you reach brood. Cut across top down to top of brood.
Last, cut out all brood other than two combs a foot long, side by side.
Wait 1/2 to 1 hour to determine if they are traveling toward the box. If not, the queen will return to the two combs.

If you find the queen and capture her, the two brood combs don't need to be left.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next