Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 11:47:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just curious, Beekeeping as a hobby, what is your full time job?  (Read 8096 times)
MeadFarm
House Bee

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2010, 12:55:58 PM »

Great question - loving the variety of vocations!
I'm actually getting paid to learn beekeeping! In addition to being a bit of a ranch hand.
Because our production facility is still in northern California I am not yet getting my hands into making mead but soon will be learning that too! Life takes some funny turns! Last year I was remodeling a guy's house, now I'm working for him growing his 12 year old mead business.
Fun stuff!
harvey
House Bee

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2010, 02:55:19 PM »

You get paid to make mead?  Nice job!   would love to sample some and I would do it for free!!  Never have had any mead YET!
joker1656
House Bee

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2010, 03:07:57 PM »

Cop since 1994.  Worked the street on 3rd shift most of my career.  Currently a detective assigned to our robbery/homicide division (mon-fri 0800-1600  grin).  Been SWAT since 2002.

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman
beewitch
House Bee

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2010, 05:19:01 PM »

I export food all over the world.  Bees are my small way of keeping that going...
HomeBru
House Bee

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »

High School science teacher, University Instructor, Ph.D. student, husband, father of five... We have a small market "garden" and sell healthy (I heartily disapprove of what has become of "organic" so I don't use that term.) veggies, eggs, chickens, and hopefully soon, honey to the locals.

Living life heartily!

Jay (a.k.a. HomeBru)
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2010, 06:35:56 PM »

High School science teacher, University Instructor, Ph.D. student, husband, father of five... We have a small market "garden" and sell healthy (I heartily disapprove of what has become of "organic" so I don't use that term.) veggies, eggs, chickens, and hopefully soon, honey to the locals.

Living life heartily!

Jay (a.k.a. HomeBru)
That word is getting heartily abused, isn't it?

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
slacker361
Field Bee

« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2010, 09:26:36 PM »

ex corporate pilot, sure miss the flying......Now full time student , going back to school to be a physicians assistant,  who would have thought     HuhHuh rolleyes
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2010, 10:30:07 PM »

I'm retarded, ER, I mean retired, or is it both. With all these high class vocations, this lowly sewing machine mechanic feels kinda left out. Especially when I quit school in the ninth grade.

I guess being president of a C chapter corp., managing partner of an LLP, managing partner of an LLC, and president of an S chapter Corp., all at the same time, may make up for it a bit.

The company I founded and ran until retirement.

www.caudlesew.com

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
gguidester
New Bee

« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2010, 10:48:50 PM »

Just a salesman!  Food and Dairy industry in Wisconsin. Smiley
goertzen29
House Bee

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2010, 12:20:48 AM »

I work on our family farm and on my uncle's farm too sometimes.  We raise corn and soybeans.

I help a few local people on construction projects, roofing and cement work when needed

I also enjoy fixing up motorcycles in the winter.

Bees are a more recent hobby (on my second year) and I love it, I love learning, the challenge and the honey, I don't love being frustrated at not knowing how to manage them all the time, but you all here on this forum are a huge blessing.  And I cant wait until I'm like one of you who have been doing this for years. 

Jay
Mason
House Bee

« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2010, 12:04:28 PM »

Sales Manager in the powersports Industry for a company the imports motorcycles, scooters.

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP
Hormel
New Bee

« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2010, 01:03:34 PM »

Architect.  Primarily affordable/low-income housing.
sarafina
House Bee

« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2010, 08:33:41 PM »

Chemical Engineer
Billybee
House Bee

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »

Fixing other peoples mistakes for 28 years in waterproofing and any painting related thing you can dream up. Getting too old for that so focused on these now. Mobile music recording, surveillance systems, playing bass and or harmonica in rock and blues bands and keeping ahead of the new presidents desire to destroy my way of life so other do nothings can feed off of my hard work.  Wink

The bees moved into the house and we kept them. I spend all of my other time keeping the bee's environment as pest free as possible so they can live happily ever after. Oh yeah and maybe I can legitimately get some honey from them while leaving enough for them to not be fed artificially in the oh so cold Florida winter.

Can somebody tell me where I can find a foundation tree?
epijay
New Bee

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2010, 02:27:59 PM »

Epidemiologist and newbee
Jay
weBEE Jammin
House Bee

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2010, 11:56:54 AM »

Full time Systems Tech for a communications company, working 60+ hrs/wk. The girls pretty much have to take care of themselves most the time.
wetland bee
New Bee

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2010, 06:23:20 PM »

30 years making Elevators full time. laser operator, workgroup leader. Part time landscaping 14 commercial business,and residential homes. time off enjoy gardening,beekeeping and hunting.

Russ
CHD
New Bee

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2010, 07:52:10 PM »

Old jobs
    Logger, Sawmill equipment (mobil & stationary) operator, mechanic, machinist, woodturner, plant manager, dock checker, tirebuilder

Currently
   Lead machinist/welder/programmer for big factory
saritacoleman
House Bee

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2010, 08:54:56 PM »

Unemployed accountant however gainfully employed housewife.
wouldliketobee
House Bee

« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2010, 12:06:03 AM »

Factory worker for 20 years,  just started beekeeping two years ago, I really enjoy the challenge, I like to watch the bees working when I have time , have been working 7 days a week since november 2009, I'm thankful for this site and all the info I get from it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next