Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 22, 2014, 12:52:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A new scam???  (Read 950 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: June 12, 2010, 10:55:37 PM »

Yahoo account users,

All yahoo account owners,We are having congestions due to the anonymous registration of yahoo accounts so we are shutting down some yahoo accounts and your account was among those to be deleted.We are sending you this email so that you can verify and let us know if you still want to use this account.If you are still interested please confirm your account by filling the space below.Your User name,password,date of bith and your country information would be needed to verify your account.
Due to the congestion in all Yahoo users and removal of all unused Yahoo Accounts, Yahoo would be shutting down all unused Accounts, You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 48 hours for security reasons.
* Username:........................ ....
* Password: ......................................
* Date of Birth: ................................
* Country Or Territory: ................
After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences. Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his/her account after two days of receiving this warning stands the risk of losing his or her account permanently.
The Yahoo Management

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:57:38 PM »

seems to happen on yahoo a lot.  i dumped them years ago after someone tried to hack my email and they shut it down for days. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 11:13:16 PM »

Yahoo, like any service depends on membership data (accounts) to sell their product to merchants, so I have never heard of anyone EVER deleting members because of inactivity or other reasons except unlawful or similar reasons. Every user is more money they can charge for services, and they surely are not looking for the CREAM of the CROP members, just head counts.

I'd wait the 48 or longer hours, and if anything happened THEN I'd contact Yahoo - otherwise, I'd chalk it up to just another hair-brained semi-plausible scheme to rob account info by dirtbags. My thinking, what is the worse that will happen if it is real vs. what is the worse to happen if it is a scam and there is no comparing and I'd always err on caution's side.

This sounds like a scam from the first word - why would Yahoo need YOUR username or password 1)without your user-name, they couldn't contact you, 2) if you lost your password they would email or reset it, or however it is done according to their practice.

This sort of email I have seen with very convincing logos from Ebay, Paypal and others, mainly because scammers (with very legitimate URLs) just copy and past the logos onto their pages.

Giving user/pass to anyone lets them have access to all your account.email and they search for any private data through correspondence. I would not reply to any mail from anyone I get services through, they know who I am and they know how active I am, surely they are the LAST PEOPLE to ever need my info.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 12:59:01 AM »

I don't ever answer these things. I get stuff in the Spam folder from FedEx, FBI, and a lot of others I know would have some people answering them. FBI needs you to contact them immediately. Some poor little old lady thinks, "Oh dear I better get right on that."

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
wd
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 02:08:38 AM »

With the exception of yahoo, I get all that too. When I signed on with Amazon, got an email asking for account info shortly after. Didn't expect it from them, I contacted Amazon they said, its a scam and not to open the email. I assumed they meant something may be embedded in the email. Haven't had one since about them. paypal scams roll in a few times a year.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 09:39:12 AM »

Almost all of the  legitimate web based business and services specifically tell you when you sign up that they will never send an e-mail requesting you to send personal info or user and password info.
They say for customer service to directly type in the account you wish to go to. Do not click on a hyper link from a suspicious sender that will redirect you to a site that looks very much  like the one you are associated with.

This is also used in phone scams where the"bank" or "credit card company " needs to verify your Social Security number. Do not ever give the private info to anyone contacting you. Contact your providers yourself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next