Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 30, 2014, 08:28:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on building hive boxes and tops?  (Read 503 times)
harvey
House Bee

« on: June 09, 2010, 07:56:16 PM »

Built five boxes out of 4 eight foot 1 x 12's,  They look good, same size and all.  Bottom boards and telescoping covers will be easy enough but what about inner covers?  Do I buy masonite?  I also want to try top entrances, any ideas on incorporating them into home built inner covers or top covers?  Thanks Harv,   Did a silly thing too.  Called Central Dispatch and put my name on the list for picking up swarms if they get any calls.  Why did I do that?  I am now up to six hives with five boxes sitting in the barn waiting to paint or varnish!  and 3 bait hives out in the woods!!   I think I am getting a little carried away here!
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »

Borrow some equipment from a fellow beek. If we were closer I would be glad to loan you some equipment.
Place a rush order.
Get into high gear in the wood shop.
Share the swarms with another beek.

Good Luck,

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:14:06 PM »

If you build it, they will come.               And you can paint it later.   Bees don't care if you are painting if you do it at night without a light.  Or wait until it turns cold.   I have painted boxes in the winter with bees in there.   You can use plywood for the inner tops also.  1/2" cut to fit into the top will work.   You don't need any finger holes because they will glue the top down to the inner cover.
skflyfish
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:45:37 PM »

I would recommend the free plans for the all season inner cover from Honey Run Apiary. It is ventilated, has an upper entrance, and you can put 1 or 2 inch stryrofoam in the top to insulate for winter and even winter feed the bees easily.

Plans here.

You can see a post with a pic here.

Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next