Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 26, 2014, 09:24:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K Wings  (Read 2635 times)
bee-nuts
Queen Bee

« on: June 05, 2010, 10:27:50 PM »

I have been watching a colony collapse since spring.  I do this because I dont have a mentor and I want to figure out what the problems are so I can diagnose them in the future.  So today I gave a look and I have stubby little bees that all have their wings spread out and I think thats k wing, right?  I did not see split wing meaning four wing just wings out to the side.  So I made a call to a beekeeper I know and was informed that this usually indicates tracheal mites.  I dont have bees crawling in the grass though or dead bees on the bottom board.  So now that I am noticing this spread wing thing I go looking in other colonies and see ten percent or so seem to have it.  Some I see bring them back in.  It was also a bit cool and not sunny when I did this so Im wondering if that might have something to do with some of them in apparently healthy colonies showing this behavior.

DO I have a serious problem?  Do I need to take mediate action? I can get video tomorrow if it helps.

Thanks
bee-nuts

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson
bee-nuts
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 01:52:19 AM »

I an having a hard time finding pictures of k wing examples.  I am confused whether I am seeing DWV or K Wing.  Can anybody help.  I dont know if I will get to yard with cam tomorrow or not.  Have some things I need to do and may not have time to go there before I head to work.   I pretty worried.

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 04:32:23 AM »

DWV looks like a crumpled wing.  Old bees look like frayed wings.  "K" wing looks like a letter "K" on each side.  A normal bee the two wings are attached to each other.  With "K" wing the back wing is pushed forward of the front wing.  A lot of deformed (crumpled) wings of course is indicative of Varroa mites.  "K" wings are indicative of Tracheal mites.  Frayed wings are indicative of hard working old bees...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
bee-nuts
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 05:16:12 AM »

Michael Bush

I think I saw a couple with wings separated making a k.  It was right after a good rain near evening and was cloudy so maybe with the bad light I did not see the separation like I should have.  I never noticed this before but it was very obvious something was different about wings on collapsed colony.  Thankfully I did not seen it in my main yard.  I was told from the people I got my bees from that they had not had a problem with tracheal mites for years now and have not needed to treat for it.  I was hoping I would not have a tracheal mite problem but it appears I may.

The bees in collapsed colony look stubby like this but there wings looked like the one on left but uniform, not frayed or missing.  Last time I looked at them they did not look like this as I remember.  Queen is missing now and obviously dead.

Oh, a link to pic Im referring to would help
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_westby/4068531583/#

I may have been a bit paranoid though and mistaken this wing position in other colonys I looked at.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_westby/4567110893/#

Most had there wings in tight in other colonies I looked at.  I will have to look again and take video and post it so hopefully someone can give me a definitive answer.

Thanks for response.  Ill get video as soon as I can.

Thomas Jefferson
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:19:47 PM »

A couple of anything is meaningless in my opinion.  One or two deformed wings, one or two "K" wings, is nothing.  A lot may require your attention.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
bee-nuts
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 02:36:55 AM »

Yeah, I understand.  Ill get video, hopefully tomorrow.  You will see something is is going on for sure with the one, even if its malnutrition, something is going on.

Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next