Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 28, 2014, 02:55:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of honey cause bee's to make more honey?  (Read 849 times)
RangerBrad
House Bee

« on: June 08, 2010, 08:17:18 PM »

Howdy folks, Long time beek told me if I took the honey supers that the bees have allready filled that they would make more. More importantly that if I left full supers on them that they would slack up filling other empty supers that are on top and that if I went ahead and robbed them as they filled frames or supers they would make alot more honey. Is there truth to this or maybe something that he was just told and is passing on? Thank's, Brad

If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:19:06 PM »

More or less true...if a good year and things are going normal, you can harvest and replace with empty frames or add more supers. Just leaving it there could also cause them to backfill lower down and prevent the queen from laying as much as she might. My $.02.

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
Klepto Kangaroo
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »

it's not so much that they make more when you give them frames with previously used wax on them...but it allows them to spend less honey and time making new wax, making it easier for them to fill the supers up. At least that's what i've been told...
riverrat
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 11:59:19 PM »

the secret art of bee keeping is supering up heavy with drawn comb fooling the bees into thinking they need to store more nectar when the flow is on. if they dont have room they are like any other worker they will lay down on the job. Ans cut into your honey lbs

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:26:49 AM »

That is one theory.  Another is that only bees do an adequate job of guarding the honey from ants, wax moths etc... so leave it on.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next