Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 08:36:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY DO EUROPEANS/ AUSSIES, ETC. "Sing" using American Sounding English  (Read 1660 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: June 05, 2010, 10:10:20 AM »

This has always puzzled me, I almost want to put it in the Darkside Forum because it seems a little Stepford Wife like to me.

I enjoy talent shows from other countries, mostly found on the web videos today like "X-Factor and Brittan's got talent" and other shows... The contestant walks up to the mic and I swear their local dialect is to tough to understand I need subtitles - if I'm lucky I catch one of three words and often, not even that many.

Then they start singing, and what comes out is magical, it is as if they had spent their entire life in the US and were on America's got talent instead. I never though music as a Universal Language (at least not the sung part of it) but I see over and over my whole life this odd phenomenon.

Of course, maybe what I think an American sound is, MAY also be the Universal sound, but since the people sing just as they talk here ( IMHO ) I always hear it Americanized.  I think the infamous British Invasion was the only example to BREAK my American sounding rule, they indeed brought their accents with them Smiley

Then after the song where I understand every word perfectly (whether I have ever heard that song before or not) the singer goes back through some language portal and starts talking in a local accent that has me again shaking my head.

I'll add a few examples in this post shortly - I just have to dig them up after watching some last night.

The X Factor 2009 - Rozelle Phillip - Auditions 2 (itv.com/xfactor)

The X Factor 2009 - Lucie Jones - Auditions 3 (itv.com/xfactor)

The X Factor 2009 - Joseph McElderry - Auditions 1 (itv.com/xfactor)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:02:57 AM by beemaster » Logged

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:03:34 AM »

That just goes to show how much of an influence the American music industry has on the world.  For modern music that is. 
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:30:47 PM »

its like Ozzy I can't understand a word he says but when he sings i understand each word

Keith
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »

Really, though, I'd guess it is because we have the least accent in reference to what the letters actually sound like.  And when one sings, one sings all of the letters, because words are that much harder to understand when sung.  Just this guy's opinion.

Rick
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 11:03:36 PM »

Actually I don't think we do pronounce it like it's spelled.  I've listened to a lot of Europeans lately and they DO pronounce it like it's spelled within the rules of their language and it's confusing sometimes until I think about the spelling...

As George Bernard Shaw once said, if you follow the "rules" of English, the "ghoti" spells fish.  It's the "gh" as in "rough", the "o" as in "women" and the "ti" as in "nation".

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »

its like Ozzy I can't understand a word he says but when he sings i understand each word

Keith

Keith:

I recently used you (and others abroad in uniform) as an example, explaining to the Air Force (who took over my Navy Base back in October) that since they now have opened Social Networking Sites, like Youtube, Facebook and others, that I should be allowed to "LOG-IN" to my forum to communicate with members currently in combat areas around the world - because such stationed members can use the PMing system in the forum to keep in contact with family and friends.

Currently, I can READ the forum only, but am not allowed to LOG-IN - I get that "Air Force" page can not be accessed message - but they do allow exceptions if you write them clearly stating WHY you should be allowed to access pages. I had hem approve my homepage (which originally was blocked - Lord knows why) by telling them I have search engines I use on that page specifically for search for Job Related Training, they opened it up. Hopefully I'll be able to LOG-IN  and use the forum (do my mod duties and such) when all is quiet at work.

I just am a firm believer that if you can WATCH Youtube Videos while at work, there is NO REASON you can't communicate through the forum if the whole concept is to allow Social Networking. Wish me luck and God's Speed and safe Service - and as we all believe, thank you for serving the greatest Country in the known history of our planet.

Follow us on TWITTER

FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 10:38:22 PM »

Then they start singing, and what comes out is magical, it is as if they had spent their entire life in the US and were on America's got talent instead.

You are right that everyone sounds like an American when they sing, but it's not because we speak the "universal language".    As I recall, King Xerxes thought Persian was the natural language of humanity.  grin

American English is spoken in the middle of the mouth.  We form vowels and consonants in that part of the mouth.  Swedish is spoken in the front, so the tongue interacts with the teeth a lot.  (And I think British English is also more toward the front.)   German is a guttural language, with many sounds formed in the throat.  I'm sure there are other middle of the mouth languages, but I don't know which ones.  When people sing, the mouth and throat are more open.  It's very hard to make those tooth and throat sounds, so what comes out is more like the middle mouth language form.  And that makes everyone who sings sound like an American.

Thankyou.... thankyou.  Yes, just come to FRAMEshift for all your trivia needs.  grin

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 01:13:54 AM »

Dana Carvey SNL Audition Choppin' Broccoli

I clearly remember this guy and this bit. Around the same time there was a comedian who did a routine complete with appropriate accents about English singers suddenly sounding American in a song, compared to an American singing with an English accent. The line he used to 'compare' was 'suzy you're my woman now'. Search got no results for me, but at least I found the dana carvey bit.

be happy and make others happy.
robbo
New Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 03:53:44 AM »

Aussie.

S not Z.

Wink

grin

(the first 3 clips aren't Aussies)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »

I am watching for the first time a show on FOX network called "The Good Guys". One of them said something about the British.... "You know I can't understand them unless they are singing."

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 10:35:24 AM »

But have you heard an Irish man sing old Irish tune (mostly bar songs).    They sing with an Irish accent.   Maybe because it is not a "modern" song? 
cidersabuzzin
House Bee

vroom... vroom... but more like phut** phut**!

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 07:56:17 AM »

Then after the song where I understand every word perfectly (whether I have ever heard that song before or not) the singer goes back through some language portal and starts talking in a local accent that has me again shaking my head.

[/quote]

After the song has finished and they revert back to English they would undoubtably speak a lot quicker (no restraint of timing, as in music) but then again I have trouble understanding the Scots. It's the same the world over I have real problems understanding Southern US accents, if someone is from the 'boondocks' you need a translator. Horses for courses I'm afraid. Wink
Regards
cider

Whats good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?
The Ladies could still teach the Borg a thing or two!....and maybe us too, so long as we don't go too far to the left or right and fall off the edge...
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 10:07:50 AM »

Keith

Keith:

I recently used you (and others abroad in uniform) as an example, explaining to the Air Force (who took over my Navy Base back in October) that since they now have opened Social Networking Sites, like Youtube, Facebook and others, that I should be allowed to "LOG-IN" to my forum to communicate with members currently in combat areas around the world - because such stationed members can use the PMing system in the forum to keep in contact with family and friends.

Currently, I can READ the forum only, but am not allowed to LOG-IN - I get that "Air Force" page can not be accessed message - but they do allow exceptions if you write them clearly stating WHY you should be allowed to access pages. I had hem approve my homepage (which originally was blocked - Lord knows why) by telling them I have search engines I use on that page specifically for search for Job Related Training, they opened it up. Hopefully I'll be able to LOG-IN  and use the forum (do my mod duties and such) when all is quiet at work.

I just am a firm believer that if you can WATCH Youtube Videos while at work, there is NO REASON you can't communicate through the forum if the whole concept is to allow Social Networking. Wish me luck and God's Speed and safe Service - and as we all believe, thank you for serving the greatest Country in the known history of our planet.

Glad I could help. grin One thing to take note of is Operations Security or OPSEC we have a huge problem with our soldiers talking about missions and posting videos of secret or classified info on Facebook and youtube. I have had soldiers discussing mission routes and times on Facebook. We deal harshly with those. Also we are bombarded by Iraqi "friend request" on Facebook. Yes it opens the world up but the bad guys figured that out as well. Just if you want the Air Force to approve your site leave that tid bit of info out. Sorry to run of topic

Keith
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »

Hey cidersabuzzin you get on Ventrilo and talk to Uncle Bud a time or two and you'll soon learn to talk in the boondocks. Likewise we have been able to educate Bud to a bit of Aussie lingo.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 11:05:58 PM »

Kieth:

We had a sailor take his camera into our most secure facility, the Electromagnetic Assisted Launch (EMALS) Catapult Launch Facility currently under construction 0 the next generation of launching jets from AirCraft Carrier Decks - already mocked out to be placed in 2 carriers under construction, one carrier just awaiting the EMALS.

He posted over 60 photos on Facebook of the 5 BILLION DOLLAR SECRET PROJECT - we'll he now is in Leavenworth serving some unknown time. How STUPID people are is always amazing. I know that my part in launching Jets at our Ground Based Facility is on a need to know basis. We usually get 36 hours notice that some launch valve from some unknow carrier is on its way to us for retrofitting and testing.

We see the valves, we send them 600psi steam and they do their testing to see if it can shoot another 50000 or so launches before retesting. All that is common info found on our bases website - so nothing to give away there. But with camera in hand, you could do great damage anywhere in the military - especially when it involves OPS in your cases - wow. Hopefully, some loose lipped facebook happy camera-bug will get the crap beat out of him before his/her entire force gets caught in a shoot out or worse.

We have many hour every year from EEOC, SEXUAL HARASSMENT, HUMAN TRAFFICKING, Assureness Awareness and everthing we need to do at home to get you home safe as possible. It's the guy in the next bunk with too much time on facebook and twitter that scares me.

Follow us on TWITTER

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 11:14:37 PM »

a couple of years ago when my son was stationed on a ship in SD, they had a rule that if your phone had a camera you could not even have it in your hand while in certain areas on base.  in your pocket or bag, but not out.  seems like a good rule to me.

keith, i agree about ozzy.  i tried to watch that show they had about his family and he drove me nuts.  couldn't understand a word he said.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next