Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 18, 2014, 12:27:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K wing advice needed please  (Read 925 times)
dano41
New Bee

« on: June 01, 2010, 07:30:50 AM »

Hi,have got k wing bees in hive lots of dead bees on the open mesh floor a lot of them with small abdomens.There is no mite drop at all on test board the rest of the bees flying really well brood combs perfect sealed and layed right up to the edge.Is this tracheal mites and what should I do about it?
greenbtree
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »

How much is "a lot"?  Do you see live bees with "really small abdomens"?

JC

"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"
dano41
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.There were hundreds of bees on floor didnt notice any live small abdomen bees.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »

how old is the hive?  depending on the time of the year, 100's of bees dead is not surprising.  when is the last time you cleaned off the bottom board?   grin

some K wing bees seems to be pretty normal. how many do you think you have?

does the hive seem otherwise healthy?  good brood and good brood  pattern.  plenty of food for them?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
dano41
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »

Hi.last years queen, replaced box and open mesh floor in April that was the last time I cleaned floor.the brood pattern is very good and the plenty of activity from hive.
greenbtree
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 10:17:22 PM »

I would say that with the rest of the hive thriving as you have stated that I would not be concerned.  Just as you can get surges of bees being born, you can get the same when they die because a group will be of a similar age.  As to the smaller abdomens on the dead bees, my best guess would just be drying out after death - the abdomen is the most flexible part and could shrink as it dried.  Just a guess though since you stated you saw none with the live bees.

JC

"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"
dano41
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:09:04 AM »

Thanks for that reply.Only moved over to open mesh last year never thought about the extra drying affect of the air flowing through the mesh.
qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 08:59:50 PM »

Tracheal mites were a problem for one of my hives (swarm) about four years ago.  I seldom see K-wing at all after that.  They did supercede their queen, so I guess that brought in the resistance.

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next