Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 01, 2014, 06:49:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting ready for my first cutout!  (Read 1445 times)
gardeningfireman
Field Bee

« on: May 08, 2010, 10:00:20 AM »

I went to check some bees in the soffit of a house yesterday. The owner said they have been there for about five years(he just bought the house last summer), and they swarmed two weeks ago. I went onto the roof(two and a half story house) to see what I could. There are actually two separate hives in the the soffits of this house! I think one is the swarm from the first one. The owner has access to masonry scaffolding I can use to access the soffits. It looks like they are confined behind the fascia boards and not behind the walls Smiley. I hope to remove them next within the next two weeks. I can't wait! grin

G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »

I would take full advantage of the scaffolding offer, tough working off of a ladder with all of your gear.

Sounds like a good find, two for the price of one. Will make for a long day though.

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
gardeningfireman
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 02:14:50 PM »

Well, I am going to do this double cutout this weekend. The homeowner said the scaffolding deal fell through, so he is going to rent a lift bucket. I got my beevac finished, topbars framed to attach the brood comb, three topbar hives ready and waiting, and all my equipment ready(I hope). Now all I need is some Valium to calm my nerves! grin

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »

vodka will do.

good luck.  enjoy.  pictures!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
gardeningfireman
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:08:42 PM »

Kathy,
It just so happens that I do have some vodka! Thanks for reminding me! grin I will get some pics, and post them as soon as I figure out how.
Alan

AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:34:23 PM »

I hope the vodka is for after you are done up high with the lift bucket.
gardeningfireman
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 09:40:11 PM »

What?! And take away the fun of it? I can make one of those redneck videos where the first words are "Hey, watch this...."! And the last words are "Someone call 911!" grin

KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 07:35:56 AM »

hey Fireman... I'm probably going to do a cutout this weekend... well really just a removal since the "handy man" will be there to do the actual cutting and cleanup. Goind to meet with the folks today after work to get a plan of action. Got to find the cutout list floating in the forums so I can make sure I have all what I need.

Got some frames ready for the comb... but need to find some large rubber bands. Anyone know of a good source for them? Seem to be hard to find around here...

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
gardeningfireman
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 09:18:42 AM »

Doug,
Try an office max, or walmart in the office/school supply section. Tool list is in the Tools for the cutout blog.
Good luck!
Alan

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:26:22 AM »

ditto the office supply.  i think i found some in walmart the last time. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:29:20 AM »

Thanks for the office tips. I guess when I was at wallyworld, they jsut had the stadard size little rubber bands. I'll check again.

Alan just after I wrote that last msg I found the cut out list.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 10:55:17 AM »

try an office supply store.  they usually have tons and in all different sizes. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
suncoast
New Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 08:14:50 PM »

The # 64 rubber bands work .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next